32A Deluxe OpenEVSE is Sold

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

Deluxe 32A OpenEVSE for Sale.

I have a Deluxe OpenEVSE for sale. This EVSE has a 25 ft Yazaki new J1772 30A cable and a full function display that simultaneously displays voltage, current, power, and a resettable KWH.
This unit consists of a 4 ft 40A range cable with a molded 14-50 plug, a OpenEVSE plus ver 2.5 main board, A 50A contactor, 12V supply, mulitfunction meter, 25 ft J1772 cable, and a yellow display. This is mounted in a gray Vellman housing with a plywood mounting plate.

This is intended to be hooked up to a 40A circuit protected by a 40A circuit breaker.

I can offer front panel hardware upgrades:

Change the yellow display for a color RGB display add $20

Add a DS1307 Real Time Clock add $10

Firmware is ver 3.3.4 Options are at no charge

It can be upgraded to Serial Command line

It can be upgraded to RAPI but if RTC is enabled the menu items are removed and it must be accessed by RAPI commands.

I do not supply a serial connection for the above options. You would connect to the FTDI header.

I am selling this for $400 plus $25 for UPS Ground CONUS shipping. It is sold ASIS but I guarantee it will work upon receipt.

Payment is by Paypal if I ship the unit. Local pickup in Anaheim near Disneyland is available. In that case the payment is cash without shipping charges.

I shamelessly took this from vegasbrad's ad. It is a good idea to emphise the details. I have always depended on my user's common sense.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Because of lawyers I have to add this. This EVSE is intended for use ONLY by responsible adults. Because they are hand-made, they are not UL listed - but are made from UL listed parts. 240v electricity is serious business and caution should be exercised while using any EVSE. For safety's sake, do not use this EVSE outdoors in inclement weather unless it is a model that specifically says Outdoor or Waterproof. This EVSE has a GFCI built inside that protects from that point down line. (The J plug side of the the EVSE is safe for outdoors in all weather). BY PLACING AN ORDER WITH US, YOU ASSUME ALL RISK ASSOCIATED WITH USING THIS EVSE AND AGREE THAT WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM THEIR USE.

I realize this EVSE is more useful tor Leaf S or Mercedes B Class ED owners with a real time clock so I added one at no added cost. Now it supports delayed charging so you can charge at the cheapest rate tier.

Well I finished my testing and I reset the KWH display. I put over 100KWH on it. This is how you reset it. Press the button until the display starts flashing. Release it and quick push the button. The display will reset to zero.

Hi,

I'm interested in this but am an OpenEVSE newbie. So here are a couple of questions I hope you will answer.

1. I cannot find any info on a 14-40 plug. My electrician is installing a 14-50 receptacle in our garage. Is this compatible?

2. What are the benefits for going with the color RBG display? Is this where the display's color changes to show its status (blue = charging, red = fault, etc.)? Doesn't the stock monochrome unit have an LED somewhere on the case that show the status via a color change?

3. Is there a battery backup for the RTC somewhere?

4. What is the idle power consumption (no car plugged in)? I live in Northern California, in an area where I will be paying $0.27 to $0.33 per kWh. I need to know if I should keep this unplugged when not in use.

Thanks and regards, Peter

The OpenEVSE draws about 2W on standby.

A color display is just bells and whistles. It changes colors to indicate state but it washes out in bright light. The yellow display has the same info that the RGB display has and it switches to reflective under bright light. You just have to read the display. The advantage of the RGB display is you can go by color and you do not need to read the display normally.

The RTC has a lithium coin cell backup battery. It is a CR2032. It supposedly lasts over a year.

I see no advantage in unplugging the EVSE. It just adds wear and tear to the power connections.

Back