16A OpenEVSE w/ Blue Display is sold

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

16A OpenEVSE

I have a L1 16A and L216A OpenEVSE for sale. This is mounted in a Bud NEMA weather resistant housing. It consists of an OpenEVSE Plus ver 2.5 main board, a blue display with current readout, a PB style double pole 30A relay, fuse block for safe portable operation, and GFCI, AMP coils. The Input is a #12 cable with a L6-20P and the output is a 25 foot ITT #14 gauge J1772 cable with 300V rated insulation. It is UL approved for L1 operation but works fine at L2 levels.

I have and I will supply the mounting brackets if you want to mount the unit. I figure this will be used as a portable unit.

This unit requires a 20A circuit for full power (16A is 80% of 20A).

This can charge a Leaf Basic, 2011-2012 Leaf, or a Volt at the full current level. On a 20A 120V it can charge at 16A if your car will accept it. My Leaf SL will and so will a RAV4 EV from personal experience. This is 25% faster than the stock 12A charger. Of course, it will charge any J1772 compliant car at L2 16A.

This would be perfect to use with a Quick Charge 220 since the L2 current can be set from 10A to 16A in 1A steps. If you have less than the unloaded 15A available you can set the EVSE lower. When you are visiting someone they might not have full current available.

I am selling the EVSE for $265. Shipping for CONUS UPS Ground is $25. This is sold ASIS but I guarantee it will work upon receipt. Local pickup in Anaheim near Disneyland is available.

Payment is cash for local pickup or Paypal if I ship the unit.

I shamelessly took this from vegasbrad's add. It is a good idea to emphasize the details. I have always depended on my user's common sense.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Because of lawyers I have to add this. This EVSE is intended for use ONLY by responsible adults. Because they are hand-made, they are not UL listed - but are made from UL listed parts. 240v electricity is serious business and caution should be exercised while using any EVSE. For safety's sake, do not use this EVSE outdoors in inclement weather unless it is a model that specifically says Outdoor or Waterproof. This EVSE has a GFCI built inside that protects from that point down line. (The J plug side of the the EVSE is safe for outdoors in all weather). BY PLACING AN ORDER WITH US, YOU ASSUME ALL RISK ASSOCIATED WITH USING THIS EVSE AND AGREE THAT WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM THEIR USE.

Very interesting. I am looking for something that can charge my leaf at 240vac at 10 amps. Which should match my solar output, a bit less, but good for 10a to 2p for sure.

My question is, is the J1772 cable really 16 gauge? If so how can it run 16 amps on it? Isn't 16 gauge rated for 13 amps continuous? I guess if I set it for 10 amps it would be no problem.

A 14 gauge cable bundled is rated for 15A per NEC. As long as the EVSE plugs in it is not covered by NEC regulations.As a practical means I have used 19A with my load tester with no overheating. I do not recommend exceeding 16A. The ITT J1772v cable has 5 wires. There is 3 #14 wires (green, Black, and Red) and 2 #16 wires for the pilot and proximity(Orange and Blue).

I edited the listing. I listed the cable as #16 when it is actually #14. Sorry for the mistake.

For L1 use I can supply a Nema 5-15 plug ( usual household) wired with #12 wire connected to a L6-20R to adapt the EVSE to 120V.

The cost is $25 plus $5 for USPS First Class Parcel mail. No shipping if shipped with the EVSE.

Back