High Power 40A OpenEVSE w/ RTC is sold

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

I have a high power 40A OpenEVSE for sale with RTC.

This consists of a 50A Range cable with a 14-50 plug, a OpenEVSE Plus ver 2.5 main board, a 50A contactor, a RGB display with a real time clock, a milti function power meter, and a 20 foot 40A J1772 cable from Quick Charge Power. Everything is mounted in a 6x6x4 inch junction box.

The J1772 cable is Quick Charge Power's small and ultra flexible unit. It is custom manfactured in Oregon and it is similar to the Tesla cable in that it uses dual paired wires for carrying the charging current.\

This unit is constructed with 50A components except for the J1772 cable which is 40A. It is designed to plug into a 14-50 recpticle protected by a 50A circuit breaker. 40A is 80% of 50A and it is the maximum allowed for a continuous load.

This EVSE will charge any EV that is J1772 compliant It will charge a RAV4 EV or a Mercedes B at full current. It will charge my Leaf at 27.5A or a Volt at 16A. 40A allows for future expansion if you plan to upgrade to a Tesla based EV. It can loaf charging a 30A EV like the Soul.

The Photos show it at work. I only have a 40A circuit so I limited the current. I do not know why photobucket rotated some photos. They were correct when uploaded.

I am going to step through the menu of a fully optioned system.
You get to the menu with a long press of the button. Short presses step through options ans a long press sets the option.

Setup service Level
This has 3 choices. You can force L1,L2, or leave in in Auto and let the board do its thing.

Setup Max Current.
This allows the current in the mode you are in to be set.

Setup Diode Check
Enable or disable the Diode Check. Leave it enabled.

Setup Vent Req’d Check.
This is a holdover from lead acid batteries. Leave it enabled.

Setup Ground Check.
In the USA leave in enabled to provide personal protection.

Setup GFI Self Test
This checks the GFCI circuit on power up. Leave it enabled

Setup Date and Time.
This allows for the real time clock to be set.

Setup Delay Timer
This has a sub menu to turn on the timer and set start and stop times.

Setup Restart
This restarts the EVSE like you had just plugged it in.

Setup Exit
This exits the menu while saving any changes. This is the usual way to exit

Button Functions
Up
1.In normal display situation,Time, current, electric quantity, power ,voltage will be displayed reverse circulation when short press
2.In the condition of power alarm threshold setting, short press the digital will plus one.
3.In power and short time reset condition short press will retreat to the reset state.

Down
1.In normal display situation,Time, current, electric quantity, power ,voltage will be displayed sequence circulation when short press
2.In the condition of power alarm threshold setting, short press the digital will Subtract one.
3.In power and short time reset condition short press will retreat to the reset state.

Setting
1.In the condition of power display,the device will enter into power alarm threshold setting condition after 3seconds long pressing
2.In the condition of power or time display, the device will enter into Power or time reset condition after 3seconds long pressing
OK
1.In normal display situation, short press will open or close the backlight
2.In the condition of power alarm threshold setting, short press will change the number
3.In power and short time reset condition, short press reset power and time,and exit reset situation

This is sold ASIS but I guarantee it will function upon receipt. The price is $365 plus $25 for UPS ground shipping. Local pickup in Anaheim near Disneyland is available.

Payment is by Paypal if I ship the unit or cash for local pickup.

I shamelessly took this from vegasbrad's add. It is a good idea to emphise the details. I have always depended on my user's common sense.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Because of lawyers I have to add this. This EVSE is intended for use ONLY by responsible adults. Because they are hand-made, they are not UL listed - but are made from UL listed parts. 240v electricity is serious business and caution should be exercised while using any EVSE. For safety's sake, do not use this EVSE outdoors in inclement weather unless it is a model that specifically says Outdoor or Waterproof. This EVSE has a GFCI built inside that protects from that point down line. (The J plug side of the the EVSE is safe for outdoors in all weather). BY PLACING AN ORDER WITH US, YOU ASSUME ALL RISK ASSOCIATED WITH USING THIS EVSE AND AGREE THAT WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM THEIR USE.

I thought we had to derate from the lowest item in the circuit. I double checked the AWG on the QCP 40amp cables, 4x20ga. so his 40A rating makes sense. Do we not have to worry about derating the J1772 cable as well? I could live with that. :D
Cheers
Brad

VegasBrad said:
I thought we had to derate from the lowest item in the circuit. I double checked the AWG on the QCP 40amp cables, 4x20ga. so his 40A rating makes sense. Do we not have to worry about derating the J1772 cable as well? I could live with that. :D
Cheers
Brad

The EVSE is limited by the 40A specs of the Quick Charge Power cable. Everything else in the path is rated for 50A. The Quick Charge cable has two #12 conductors as you said. Taken together it 1s 40A (20 + 20A). From my experience is does run fine at at 41A ( as close as my load tester comes to 40A). It runs warm but not hot.

Thanks for the speedy relpy! That sounds good to me. I've had similar results testing on my LEAF (27.5A draw) on 30A Yazaki Whips and temps were just fine, even after a few hours.

I can not recommend it since it grossly exceeds specs but I have tested my yazaki 30A cables at 40A with no problems. Both Tony Williams and Phil Childs have said they will work fine at 40A. The NEC spec for #10 cable is well under that.

I like having a load tester on hand. At 240V I can go from 3KW to 10KW. Since I usually have around 245V I get slightly more. I can not test the JuiceBox's claimed 15KW but show me a J1772 compliment cat that draws over 40A.

Speaking of juicebox, I have one of their relays on hand I have yet to use. I read alot of conflicting info about their quality and or reliability especially the 80A rating. I was thinking of using it for a 40A continuous or possibly less 120v/240v evse. What do you think of them? Val swears by them but even the contact braid inside seems for too small for a 19kW evse

That is an interesting relay. At least 3 companies supply it with the same part number. I have found Chinese ratings are helplessly optimistic. At 80A the armature connect wires run super hot. The relays work fine at 30 or 40A. I have found the same thing in their power supplies. EMW found nothing wrong with the relay exceeding 85 degrees C. In my opinion that is much too warm!

I think they are a very good value at half the rated current. For twenty bucks or so shipped they work well. An OpenEVSE using that relay will work on 120V or 240V.

Personally, I like using a ground screw. A ground block takes up space and it is over kill for 3 connections.

Back