DIY 30A OpenEVSE with voltage/current meter SOLD

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasBrad

-=SOLD=- Thanks for everyones support and input. :D Parts are on the way for build number 2. Its goin to have the Openevse v3 board, i really like the idea of the integrated current meter in the display. It will have a 60A high current relay bank, and a 60A J1772 cable at 23ft. Im trying to find a way to do it waterproof too for a resonable cost.
I welcome at suggestions or wishlist of what you guys would like to see, I can go very simple small, inexpensive or wild fully loaded Ultra high current beast. or anything in between. If time/money were available I'd built one of everything! :D I'm looking to build what can move quickly right now

I bought a 2013 Nissan LEAF and love it! I have a heavy electrical background and was inspired when i saw some DIY units for sale here. Work has been very slow and my employer is now 6 weeks behind in paying the other employee and I. :cry: This has caused a severe financial hardship. It's a very stressfull time with 2 little boys. I need to support my family anyway I can and am hoping to build and sell a few EVSE's. Thanks for reading this, Now on to the fun stuff!!

I have a High Power OpenEVSE for sale with a Yazaki 30A J1772 15 foot cable. This unit operates on Level 1 120VAC or Level 240VAC. This is a 30A EVSE only limited by the Yazaki cable and relays. This is mounted in a heavy duty 1/4" thick walled 8X8X4 inch outdoor electrical junction box. This unit requires a 40A 240V circuit breaker.

The photos show it briefly happily charging my 2013 LEAF S at 28A
It will charge any J1772 compliant car at up to 30A
The EVSE may be set in multiple steps on Level 1 and 2.
Level 1: 10A to 16A
Level 2: 10A to 80A

Specs:
Other than the oem cover screws all nults/bolts/washers are STAINLESS STEEL
The base plate inside is 1/4" thick high quality plex ,no thin stuff here.
The relays are quality Potter & Brummfiled 30A units.
The input cable is a Utilitech (Lowes) 50A 5 foot range cable with the popular NEMA 14-50 plug. This is the one all the Tesla guys have installed as well as the standard at RV parks!
you can even use the plugshare app and set the filters to include NEMA 14-50 and see all of them in the country, there are a suprising number of them.
It has a monochrome blue display, The display I2C driver also runs a RGB LED for mode indication and a large high impact blue lighted Menu/Select button.
Heat shrink tubing used through out.

Here is a video on me demo'ing the unit:
http://youtu.be/rvdH-5uhT6Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you would like to see it in action on your EV we can arrange that thru private message at my home. The cost is $375 plus $25 for UPS ground shipping in the continential USA
Local pickup in Las Vegas near Smith's grocery on E Flamingo or near The Strip is available. Payment is by Paypal if shipped or cash for local pickup.

Please post any comments or questions here or PM me if you like. Sorry about some of the pic being upside down that happened after I uploaded them to photo bucket. i went in edited them, deleted the pic post and reposted the pics and there still upside down, I give up :roll:
Finishedunit.jpg

MYEVSEagainstgarage-1.jpg

MyEVSEagainstLEAF-1.jpg

unit3.jpg

unit2.jpg

lid1.jpg

lidandunit.jpg

looks simple but took several days at 4 hrs a shot to complete, might have 12 plus hrs into it :lol:

Good luck! Most of the images you listed did not come through. I am happy with photobucket. I resize the images to 1024X768 first.

sevenx7 said:
Are the se cases waterproof? I need something outside!
The case is nema rated, and the cable glands have seals, but with the display window and meter I would say it's splash resistant. In Vegas here we hardly get rain. On my home I plan on mounting one outside as my garage has eves it should be ok. If it won't get direct rain or water rolling down it should be fine.

Perhaps i should built the 2nd unit with a clear front cover outdoor rated box. I was going to built it the same as the 1st but go for higher amps. Let me look into it

I don't have a need for another EVSE, but you're price is certainly RIGHT if I did! Actually, I think you could sell for more as a pre-assembled unit with both cables and displays included. Considering how much of your labor went in to building it, $400 (shipped) is quite a bargain imho!

dsinned said:
I don't have a need for another EVSE, but you're price is certainly RIGHT if I did! Actually, I think you could sell for more as a pre-assembled unit with both cables and displays included. Considering how much of your labor went in to building it, $400 (shipped) is quite a bargain imho!
Thanks for the support! I wasn't sure what the sweet spot price is so I'm tinkering with the price

-=SOLD=- Thanks for everyones support and input. :D Parts are on the way for build number 2. Its goin to have the Openevse v3 board, i really like the idea of the integrated current meter in the display. It will have a 60A high current relay bank, and a 60A J1772 cable at 23ft. Im trying to find a way to do it waterproof too for a resonable cost.
I welcome at suggestions or wishlist of what you guys would like to see, I can go very simple small, inexpensive or wild fully loaded Ultra high current beast. or anything in between. If time/money were available I'd built one of everything! :D I'm looking to build what can move quickly right now

Back