32A Dostar OpenEVSE with RTC is sold

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

I have a high power OpenEVSE with Real Time Clock for sale.

It consists of a DIY OpenEVSE Plus main board upgraded to a LT1498 rail to rail output opamp, a 40A range cable with a moulded 14-50 plug, a Qianj1 JQX-62F-2C 80A rated relay, a power meter that displays voltage and current, a RGB color display with RTC, and a 25 foot Dostar 32A J1772 cable from Quick Charge Power (Tony Williams). It is housed in a rugged gray junction box.

This unit auto senses L1 120VAC and L2 240VAC. The L2 current is adjustable in 2A steps to 50A but the unit is constructed with lower current components. On a 40A breaker is is good for 32A (80% of 40A).

This unit is sold ASIS but I guarantee it will work upon receipt. The cost is $425 plus $25 for CONUS shipping. Local pickup in Anaheim near Disneyland is available.

Payment is by Paypal if I ship or cash for local pickup. For local pickup I would be happy to demo the unit charging my Leaf (6600W max).

Glenn is that Tony's special 8-conductor cable, modeled after how Tesla does it in their UMC? Wouldn't that be good for 40 amps? Looks great.

This is according to Tony, a stock 25 ft Dostar cable. The connector has water weep holes but the cable current conductors are #10 and the J1772 is marked 32A.

The cable Mike got from Tony has doubled up conductors and a 50A labeled J1772. Heat is everything but the safe ratings are 32A. Maybe it would do 40A but not on my 27A Leaf.

fooljoe said:
Glenn is that Tony's special 8-conductor cable, modeled after how Tesla does it in their UMC? Wouldn't that be good for 40 amps? Looks great.

The one Glenn has pictured is 32 amp, but all our J1772 plug / cable assemblies, 32, 40 and 50, use the 50 amp 3rd generation DoStar plug.

The 32 and 50 amp cables are conventional 4 conductor cables (hot, hot, ground, pilot). The 50 amp ones are really beefy, at 0.85 inch diameter total, and are orange jacketed.

The 40 amp cable is the UMC type cable with extra conductors;

Hot- black
Hot- red
Ground- green / yellow stripe
Pilot - purple
Spare- blue, typically our proximity passthrough, or 3.3 voltage wire
Spare- logic wire (alarm, adjustable amperage, external timer, etc)

According to my chart a #10 cable in a bundle is rated for 33A. Naked it is good for 55A. At 40A it may run very hot even though the connector is good for 50A. I consider this a 32A EVSE.

GlennD said:
According to my chart a #10 cable in a bundle is rated for 33A. Naked it is good for 55A. At 40A it may run very hot even though the connector is good for 50A. I consider this a 32A EVSE.

That would be an interesting study. Find out how many amps equals how many degrees at the cable for a cable of XX length in YY ambient conditions.

The chart lists at boiling from a starting of 135 degrees F. I think it is great for a Leaf and for a RAV4 EV at 32A or slightly greater but definitely not at 40A full power.

To me since you charge at home, as long as it finished before you leave in the morning, the current does not matter. If you are at a charging station and you are waiting then the max does matter.

I wouldn't have any problem running it at 40 amps. I tested my Blink at 40 amps for 3 hours, a temperature probe between the power pins read 133F.

Back