For Sale: Enginer 8khw Auxiliary Battery Pack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerhad87

Hello everyone, I purchased a used leaf that had the 8khw battery pack installed and now I am planning to sell the vehicle so I had the pack removed. I figured this way ill get more money out of car. I am not sure when it was originally installed but my leaf is a 2011 SL model with 30,000 miles. It is now being stored in my garage and I'm debating whether I should purchase a Prius and have it installed in there. However, if there is anyone out there interested feel free to contact me. (949) 484-9704.

P.S. I am located in Rancho Cucamonga, CA and unfortunately I did not take any pictures prior to removing it from the car but it is identical to the one below. Once again this is the 8khw version.

I have no idea what this is worth in the used market. I know that it retails for $5,495 but I will decide if I want to sell it based on the offers that I get.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories/enginer-auxiliary-battery-pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enginer-supplemental-leaf-battery-pack_100399819_m.jpg

Sure would be nice to have another 40 miles of range. But I would have to give up my 1000 watt stereo system. for me I don't want to make that sacrifice.

But GLWYS

Does this thing actually work?

Wouldn't it completely screw up the instrumentation? Like give much higher energy economy readings?

palmermd said:
It is not 40 miles. Lets see: 21kWh gives 74 miles, so 8kWh gives 40 miles....NOT!

Well, 24kwh battery gives 84 miles at 65mph, and is now EPA rated for 84 miles for 2014.

8 divided by 24 is 1/3, so I expect 8kWh to give 1/3 of 84, or 28 miles... except, there are big losses going from the auxiliary battery through you onboard 24kWh to then ultimately power your car.

You'll get low 20 miles in additional range.

TonyWilliams said:
You'll get low 20 miles in additional range.

I agree. Much more realistic. Their converter along with its inefficiency is also known to be not very reliable. Some have had great success so it seems to be a quality issue with their supplier and not the package itself.

Head to PriusChat and read the threads about the plug in conversions for more information. Also on Ecomodder site there are some discussions about their product. I don't know a whole lot about the Leaf package, but I imagine it is the same components just setup for a different vehicle.

I just want to be sure that anyone who buys this goes in with realistic expectations. It should be able to work just fine, but be prepared, to possibly need, to replace the boost converter if it is one that has a failure, and look at 20 miles rather than 40 miles as what you will see as a benefit. Also note that it only transfers at 5kW, so when driving on the highway, it will not keep up with your 10kW+ rate of consumption. Not really a problem, just something to keep in mind.

edit: also, they may have solved the reliability issues when they upgraded from 3kW converter to the 5kW but I've not read many reports of people who have installed recently. Like I said, go in with open eyes and if you are willing to try it knowing these issues, go for it.

jerhad87 said:
Hello everyone, I purchased a used leaf that had the 8khw battery pack installed and now I am planning to sell the vehicle so I had the pack removed. I figured this way ill get more money out of car. I am not sure when it was originally installed but my leaf is a 2011 SL model with 30,000 miles. It is now being stored in my garage and I'm debating whether I should purchase a Prius and have it installed in there. However, if there is anyone out there interested feel free to contact me. (949) 484-9704.

P.S. I am located in Rancho Cucamonga, CA and unfortunately I did not take any pictures prior to removing it from the car but it is identical to the one below. Once again this is the 8khw version.

I have no idea what this is worth in the used market. I know that it retails for $5,495 but I will decide if I want to sell it based on the offers that I get.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories/enginer-auxiliary-battery-pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enginer-supplemental-leaf-battery-pack_100399819_m.jpg

Did you get any offers on the battery pack yet? My sister lives in Rancho, I might be interested, I will send you a PM with my info.

TomT said:
Remember that Enginer discontinued this Leaf system some time ago so you may be somewhat on your own for support...

Thanks for the update, I was wondering why I couldn't find this on their website. There must be a serious reason why they dropped support for it and this alone will probably make me reconsider my decision to make an offer.

Back