MY 2013 Discussion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafinThePark

Instead of the 4-5 threads discussing expected changes in MY2013, thought it would be good to pull everything together into one.

From what I can gather, this is what we can expect in the 2013 Model -

1. 6.6kw Charger
2. Improved heater efficiency to prevent the loss of up to 20-25 miles of range in cold weather
3. A darker interior color option
4. Leather Option.
5. Made in USA (Smyrna, Tenn)

Speculation...
1. Three trip levels

What we don't yet know...

1. Pricing
2. What % of US sales will be coming from Smyrna.
3. Additional exterior color options?

Since I am in the last tier I have yet to purchase my Leaf and will be debating the pros and cons of waiting for the 2013. Being in Minnesota the improved Heater alone may be enough to wait for.

Same boat as you. I'm leaning towards waiting. This will be a second car for me so I don't have to worry about not having something for longer trips. Most days I drive 30 - 60 miles so can usually go with a single overnight charge and rarely go over 50 miles so heater savings aren't critical. Leather would be nice, but not a biggie. However, for the extra 4 or so months wait, the 2013 will be one model year newer come resale time which xlates in to a chunk of $'s, even if I got one without the newer features. However, given that this is MN I'd very likely get at least the new heater unless it's extremely expensive (though if it only works when it's over 40f I'm not sure how useful it will be). Still a lot we don't know about pricing and what will be standard vs option.

So far the best quote I've gotten was 8% off MSRP which isn't enough to coax me from waiting.

Unless Nissan plans to delay the introduction of the 2013 MY not insubstantially, it appears obvious that the first number of months of 2013s will have to come from Japan...

LeafinThePark said:

Although I placed my order last week, I am definitely leaning toward waiting. We've been waiting already 2 years since plunking down our $99 and will have to wait another 4-6 months to get a 2012. I'd probably get the 2012 if I could drive one off the lot tomorrow but...

Living in one of the colder climates in the lower 48, the MY2013 heater and the 6.6KW charger could be the perceived factors but... it's really, really important for me to get a Smyrna-built car.

Why you ask? I grew up in Smyrna. Attended Smyrna Elementary School from '58-'64 and then the combined Jr/Sr High School until spring of '64.

My dad was USAF and assigned to the now-closed Sewart AFB. They had a wing of C-130 and some C-123 aircraft. Dad was with the 22nd Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron as a non-flying admin officer but went TDY to quite a few places. Despite being native Pacific Northwest stock, Dad always said his time at Sewart was his 2nd favorite assignment.

So, appears the die is cast to wait for a Smyrna 2013 Leaf.

I have mine on order too and am seriously considering waiting for a 2013. But every few years there will be improvements. It's like waiting to buy a laptop. It's almost pointless because of the speed at which advancements are made in technology to wait. But a 6.6kWh charger and made-in-USA are great reasons to hold off another 6 months.

I have # 567 in the USA, and can tell you now, I am so glad I did not wait.

I got the first one I could get my hands on, and have not looked back. 14,000 miles is a long distance to travel on gas - and I did it on electricity. You calculate the savings. I was driving a Silverado, so my calculations are a no brainer.

TomT said:
Unless Nissan plans to delay the introduction of the 2013 MY not insubstantially, it appears obvious that the first number of months of 2013s will have to come from Japan...

LeafinThePark said:
It is possible that MY12 will continue fro Japan for US market until Smyrna comes online. They already talked about "December" for some of the upgrades.

Admittedly coming from a somewhat unreliable source, I do have a few more tid-bits to toss into the 2013 pot...
Take the following with a serious grain of salt:

S trim package may be added (losing nav in the process)
SL trim may become even more "lux" (leather + ... ; wouldn't a fully-adjustable seat be nice?)
Price spread goes both lower and higher than present thanks to 3 trim level range

TLeaf said:
Admittedly coming from a somewhat unreliable source, I do have a few more tid-bits to toss into the 2013 pot...

SL trim may become even more "lux" (leather + ... ; wouldn't a fully-adjustable seat be nice?)
Price spread goes both lower and higher than present thanks to 3 trim level range

Thanks...added this info to the original post.

Right now I am about 95% sure I am going to wait...the more I think about the more I want that improved Heater and 6.6kW charger. Question I have now is whether I should go ahead and cancel my 2012 order or let it go through and stick the dealer with the car? Should I bring this up to the dealer? Thoughts?

Pipemajor, what are your plans?

LeafinThePark said:
TLeaf said:

Right now I am about 95% sure I am going to wait...the more I think about the more I want that improved Heater and 6.6kW charger. Question I have now is whether I should go ahead and cancel my 2012 order or let it go through and stick the dealer with the car? Should I bring this up to the dealer? Thoughts?

Tell the dealer you are going to cancel. If they don;t want you to then negotiate something with them, I have seen dealers pay so customers do not cancel.

EVDRIVER said:
LeafinThePark said:
TLeaf said:

Tell the dealer you are going to cancel. If they don;t want you to then negotiate something with them, I have seen dealers pay so customers do not cancel.

At an Area Dealer I was Offered $100 to orphan a Leaf I had on Reserve.

Hedge

Stopped by the dealer today to discuss....he made no offer to me to not cancel my order but basically said they would have no problem getting an orphan on site. He also thought that my car would be here in late April even though my dashboard now says pending - although for a few days 'Week of May 2' was listed.

As I see it, my options are:

1. Cancel the order and wait until I can order a 2013.
2. Do not cancel my order and purchase the 2012 and plan on selling it when/if there is a big enough improvement in 2013 or future model years.
3. Do not cancel my order and lease the 2012 with the plan to try to get out of the lease.
4. Orphan my 2012 and wait for the 2013.

The quoted purchase price is $35,200 or my lease option is $399/mo with $5731 down for 39 months.

Open to advice....

LeafinThePark said:

2. Do not cancel my order and purchase the 2012 and plan on selling it when/if there is a big enough improvement in 2013 or future model years.
3. Do not cancel my order and lease the 2012 with the plan to try to get out of the lease.

The quoted purchase price is $35,200 or my lease option is $399/mo with $5731 down for 39 months.

Open to advice....
There no upside to canceling the order, it just closes down your options. Most dealers are perfectly happy to have an orphan to sell. I'd keep my order, use the time between now and when it comes to make up your mind whether you want to wait or not. Trading up in only a year wouldn't be to my taste, I'd either buy/lease now planning to keep it for at least three years, or orphan the car and wait...but you may be more willing to hassle with trading up early.

Back in November I bought my 2012 model SL and I have not regrets.

The faster charger would be nice and the new heater might also be nice to have, but for me both of those are not really a big deal. The charger is adequate 99.9% of the time. My daily commute is so short that the new heater would not make a big difference anyhow. The other changes I really do not car about.

If you trade in a car that is only a year old, plan on a big loss in the bank account. This would be true of any car not just the Leaf.

As for the Leaf order process, I think it is total BS. When I got ready to buy my car I called around and found 3 different dealers with the SL model in the color that I wanted. Buy an orphan, it is much easier than the Nissan order process.

KJD

LeafinThePark said:
Stopped by the dealer today to discuss....he made no offer to me to not cancel my order but basically said they would have no problem getting an orphan on site. He also thought that my car would be here in late April even though my dashboard now says pending - although for a few days 'Week of May 2' was listed.

Open to advice....

LeafinThePark said:

Virtually assured I will wait. Got the quote for the home assessment by AeroVinronment and it's a stunner. I knew I needed a lot of work since my 150A service box was maxed out with the geothermal HVAC I had put in 2 years ago. I'll need an upgrade to a 200A service plus my garage is on the opposite end of the house where my electrical service entrance is.

EDIT: My Dashboard just updated to expected delivery MONTH OF JUNE (now how am I gonna wait...)

Back