Chelsea Sexton picking up Leaf for the day

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efusco

Chelsea Sextonhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Sexton, for the uninitiated, is a major EV advocate and was involved in the "Who Killed the Electric Car" project and the upcoming "Revenge of the Electric Car". She posted on her FB page today a photo of the Leaf she's picking up for a day long 'test drive'.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5972485&id=518954047&ref=notif
(probably have to be her friend to view--sorry).

I eagerly await her learned review as someone who's driven/owned and/or leased many EVs.

Nice. Hoping to see the full report here soon ...

evchels said:
Hmmm....wonder how they're defining "journalist"? Sounds like the kind of party I've been known to crash :D

This is the tweet ...

Oh yes, you shall be mine today...(temporarily!) http://twitpic.com/25hnnj

25hnnj.jpg

Yikes, the pressure! :D

Sorry, but I only got the same test drive as the other journos- not for the day, though I see now how the tweet could be interpreted that way. (Just meant that it was happening today, not that the car was mine all day.) I drove for 'bout 30 min, but at 9am in LA- so unfortunately can't speak to anything involving high-speed driving, or really even what "real world" range is, outside of city traffic driving. For those familiar with the area, we drove a loop up PCH to Sunset and back down to San Vicente- so some moderate hills and such, and up to ~50mph or so, and both accelerated well up to that speed (and presumably beyond) and took the hills enthusiastically. But in part because I didn't do freeway or long-range driving, and since so many others are doing "standard" car reviews, it's not really in my plans to do one. That said, I did come away with some impressions of the car as an experienced EV driver, and I'll write those up. In the meantime, I've got answers to many of the questions on that list, so will start with those...

1) What are the switches on the dash to left of steering wheel?

4797380440_8dc0873069.jpg

The top 4 have mainly to do with toggling between different informational displays on the IP behind the steering wheel, re-setting the trip odometer, etc. The black ones below disable traction control, override the charging timers (if set), adjust the headlights, and turn off the infamous added noises.

2) Where did they hide connectivity for iPod/USB/Aux?

4797391746_fd5d95e3c7.jpg

Center console, below radio/nav display. Top left is USB, top right is iPod, and the two bottom ones are for heated seats in the cars that are equipped that way.

3) Back-up camera: color, and yes, feed comes up automatically on reverse. Clear, bright image- sorry, no pic; I was too busy driving!

4) When 1st deliveries, and how many in Dec.? Sorry, still no details on this one.

5) What happens during hard acceleration whilst in eco mode? Does it disengage entirely or is there a temporary performance increase similar to "kick down" in an ICE car?

Neither, exactly. "Eco" mode involves a bit more regen, but does not actually limit power output- it just creates more resistance in the pedal. So if you floor it, you'll get the same power output as in regular mode- but it doesn't switch out of Eco mode, and resumes "Eco" behavior upon letting back up on the accelerator. While in that mode (and not trying to power through the extra resistance), it felt about like driving a RAV to me- still totally kept up with traffic, just wasn't going to blow the doors off anything.

6) Does L1 charging still allow for pre-conditioning?

Yes. In fact, you can also pre-condition while not plugged in at all. Not sure how much "extra" would go into the pack on L1; I think it would depend on how hard the HVAC was working based on conditions at the time. Also asked if while not plugged in there was a time/power use limit (in case one forgot he'd turned pre-con on and got sidetracked for an hour) but while Mark Perry expected that the engineers had probably considered that, he didn't know the answer.

7) When will 6.6kW charging be available?

Not for a few years, it seems. Sounds like it's not been officially decided but seems to be a Gen II thing. Also seems pegged to when the TN plant will take over production, which would make sense since overseas standard is 3.3. Don't know if Gen I's will be retrofittable and at what cost.

8) What is the hump in the rear cargo area?

I couldn't see the pic that was referred to, but the only "hump" I saw was a squared-off one directly behind the rear seats. Underneath is the on-board charger.

9) Usable pack is widely reported as 24kWh, but what is the actual size?

Well, it seems that the actual size is 24kWh, and that they can go "pretty much right down to zero" if needed.

10) Interior dimensions- Mark said they were available, so I'll post a link when I can get one.

11) Do brake lights come on w regen in either mode?

Nope, not during coasting (they do with brake pedal engagement even if technically still in regen) but I gotta say that the regen isn't strong enough that I see this as a problem. It's about the same as the production EVs of the 1990s, even in Eco mode.

More to come...

chelsea

hmmm....it seems I need some tutoring in posting pics!

The left-side dash cluster is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/evchels/4797380440/in/photostream/

and USB/iPod ports: http://www.flickr.com/photos/evchels/4797391746/in/photostream/

i put the photos in for you...

when in flickr, click on "all sizes"...then pick the size you want to show and use that link...

Gavin

evchels said:
hmmm....it seems I need some tutoring in posting pics!

The left-side dash cluster is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/evchels/4797380440/in/photostream/

and USB/iPod ports: http://www.flickr.com/photos/evchels/4797391746/in/photostream/

LOL! I edited my post to show them for you too. Tricky of Flickr, the don't show you the actual links to your images, probably so that people who don't know better can't hot link them.

Chelsea, with most of us being starved for additional information about this car, your post was a breath of fresh air. Thank you.

My friend Sheryll gets to drive in about 30 minutes. She's quite excited. Pity that Chelsea answered all the questions I asked her to ask for us. :lol: She's fine with that though. I told her to just drive and have fun, but also to let us know how she liked it!

Thanks for so many straightforward answers!

I know it wasn't much time, but how would you say the drive compares with your baby -- the EV1? :)

Thanks Chelsea. Curious if you see a Leaf in your future or not?

PS.. i met you briefly at Plug In last year (I worked in one of the booths) and just have to say that your every bit as smart, friendly, and gracious as these posts suggest. Thanks for carrying the torch and (in my case) inspiring us to be in this industry.

Thanks all for the kind words! And I'm glad you created the question list- I wouldn't have thought to ask about half of them.

Leaf vs EV1...I find it hard to compare most of this generation of EVs to the EV1. The EV1 was much faster (accelerating; the Leaf has a higher top speed), 4" off the ground, and had a much more perceptible- but liked- motor whine, all of which made it a more visceral driving experience. It was also handbuilt, and had all the "character" that comes with that- which we all found endearing, but is hard to compare to a vehicle meant for a truly mass market. The Leaf is much quieter, with softer suspension and less thrust- so driving it has more of a floating quality by comparison. I suspect the Leaf will turn out to be heavier by a few hundred pounds (original EV1 was 2970), but it doesn't feel it. Of course, one thing I miss in all of the new EVs is the aerodynamics of the EV1...then again, I probably shouldn't be drafting semis anymore anyway :) But I appreciated how it would both lend itself to fun with a heavy right foot as well as some some incredible hypermiling- before anyone had really even coined the term. So it's not so much better or worse as just different.

But, as much as people love their EVs of the last generation, I am so darned excited about the features of this one. The display of the EV1 was cool at the time, but the UI of the Leaf is the best I've seen so far in an EV (and I've driven a good number of the EVs in this new bunch) and I love the connectivity that's possible these days with smart phones, for charger networking, etc. I happen to really like small, nimble, quick cars (I currently drive a little Saturn coupe- but its supercharged) so if the EV1 could be upgraded with all the new features I'd be there tomorrow. But I also expect to be pretty darned happy with one of the new cars and get my occasional torque fix from a Tesla drive now and then. Just putting my own EV in my driveway will be pretty cool...

Will that be a Leaf? I don't know, maybe. At the moment I'm considering Leaf and Volt, and there are features I like in each- but I will say that the choice became a little tougher today. (I'm interested in others too, but not patient enough to wait that long to get my first plug-in.) If only I could afford both!

Thanks Chelsea for all the comments and photos.

One thing being asked in another thread is behavior while driving over road bumps. Did you happen to notice any in your drive ?

I posted the following on that other thread:

interesting- the LA drives up around PCH and Sunset are largely on fairly well maintained roads, so not too many bumps. But, the suspension in general felt fairly soft to me and had a bit of bounce over the few small bumps I did encounter- but wasn't "jumpy" at all. (Didn't do any cornering over bumps to speak of, but with the weight distribution, it does fine for the compact car that it is.) It did have a moment of panic over a pretty good dip that made the brake pedal go skittish for a moment, but suspect it was just sensitive traction control.

Chels IS the Stig! Nobody does it better!

Now that she has explained the visible black buttons, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the two "unused" blanks is for fog lights in the SL model. And perhaps the other is for the heated steering wheel --unless it comes on simultaneously with the driver's heated seat...?

THANK YOU, chels!

Thank you Chelsea!! WIll certainly look forward to any additional comments you have, but the ones posted to date and the pictures were great!!

Back