Jamb this in your LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVDRIVER

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1064972_this-monstrosity-will-be-your-next-electric-car-charging-plug

society-of-automotive-engineers-sae-j-1772-combo-electric-car-charging-plug_100359341_m.jpg

Holy CHAdeMO Batman! Looking at it I think the only way this Frankenstein would fit under the current charge port hood on the Leaf if both the CHAdeMO socket and the J1772 socket were removed and this was put in its place sideways!

This is an improvement ? No locking mechanism apparent, tilted connector prevention, gravity torque issues, (e.g. the dog ran under the cable and tilted up the connector!) Any cross-section / cut away views to see the internal operation?

I was looking forward to a well designed connector but is this really what SAE proposed? So we have to open three doors now to insert one large connector - well at least it's one plug now and I'm sure the ADA will like the size, weight and the 3 door juggling.

Nekota said:
This is an improvement ? No locking mechanism apparent

I think that is a locking mechanism at the top of the plug...along with a push button release on top of the handle...right where one's thumb would be.

It looks like their main goal was to provide backwards compatibility with existing J1772 plugs. Existing J1772 EVSEs will plug into the new socket and new L2 EVSEs will continue to use the old J1772 plugs. The ridge between on the new plug between the L2 part and the QC part will keep it from plugging into existing J1772 sockets.

To me, it's more disturbing that it appears that the new SAE proposal uses a different signalling protocol than CHAdeMO, which means that a simple connector swap won't be enough to get the new stuff working with the LEAF.

I like the ability to use either the quick charge cable or just the J1772 cable in the same socket, but to solve the problem by simply combining it together into an ugly, unwieldy monstrosity sounds rather lazy. Back to the drawing board, this could use some refining for sure. For that matter, I don't get why the J1772 plug cannot accept high voltage DC. Why not simply add a center pin for high-voltage positive and use one of the regular pins as a universal ground connector.

UhClem said:
To me, it's more disturbing that it appears that the new SAE proposal uses a different signalling protocol than CHAdeMO, which means that a simple connector swap won't be enough to get the new stuff working with the LEAF.
I don't think there is anything simple about a connector swap on the Leaf with this thing. It just does not look like it would fit vertically under the current Leaf charge port door. A pigtail adapter might work but I think it would be a massive and expensive adapter. If the protocol does change hopefully all would be needed on the Leaf is a firmware update but I am not holding my breath.

Spies said:
I don't think there is anything simple about a connector swap on the Leaf with this thing.
I probably should have put "simple" in quotes, or added a :roll: or two :)

If a retrofit happens at all, I'd expect it to be expensive.

Hopefully, if QC manufacturers feel pressure to implement the new standard, they'll just put two "heads" on QCs with each plug.

By the time they get the standard ready, there will likely be 2+ years of LEAF production and 1+ years of Mitsubishi i's.

The cheapest retrofit will be via a adapter cable/dongle.

The bottom part of the connector looks like it's just to help physically guide the connector into position. Or am I missreading it? Looks like just a 220 connector with a positive guide.

Dear SAE,

So VERY glad to see your organization hard at work ... being the bunch of lackeys for the (non-existent) American EV manufacturers - you've invented the wheel hub, even before there's a wheel. Incredible! HEY! here's a novel idea . . . how about making a CAR, before you 'F' up a perfectly good -working plug. No? ... oh well ... didn't hurt to ask. In any event, at least you folks are safe from terrorism. After all your group is obviously hard at work, tearing down a perfectly good system. AlQueda certainly wouldn't mess with a group that's on their side ... right?

Keep up the good work.
:?

The NEW PLUG ROCKS!!!!

Stop resistng change people and wake up its A COOL ALL-IN-ONE PLUG for ALL!
Dont let subliminal message titles influence you people so easily lol. Sheesh sheeple!

Its not a Monstrosity its a GREAT PLUG for all that it does! Im glad SAE finally showed a final prototype even before finalization. But no more stalling SAE 7 more months is to much to finalize it - lets get moving the WORLD is waiting!

RikiTiki

Fut Bucking Ugly! If I hated electric cars and wanted to make sure they grew in popularity as slowly as possible, I would make the plug as intimidating and monstrous as possible! Come on SAE, go back to the drawing board for another year or two or three and the problem will take care of itself.

GaslessInSeattle said:
Fut Bucking Ugly! If I hated electric cars and wanted to make sure they grew in popularity as slowly as possible, I would make the plug as intimidating and monstrous as possible! Come on SAE, go back to the drawing board for another year or two or three and the problem will take care of itself.
Indeed. Let's hope they can't 'agree' to anything for many years to come. Then it'll be too late and the world standard will simply become the defacto standard here.

What is happening here is similar to what happened with cell phone technology.

Europe and the REST OF THE WORLD adopted GSM, the USofA adopted CDMA. So if you want to travel from country to country you can if you have a GSM phone, but if you have a CDMA phone you are stuck to North America, (unless you spend extra bucks and have a dual band phone). It looks like with LTE that a standard that everyone can use may occur, time will tell.

Most of world is on 220-240 AC. USA is 110. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country Why? Back in the day electric utilities were interested in maximizing their profit, 110 represents a way of selling twice the energy to shine the same 60 Watt light bulb. Twice the energy, twice the revenue. Europe and the rest of the world adopted a more efficient system, the USA a more profitable (but wasteful) system. Another advantage of 240v? You can plug your dryer into any outlet you like, you don't have to have a special circuit run. Oh and you can plug your car in at any outlet for a faster charge :)

Oh and if anyone tries to tell you 110 is safer than 220, volts don't kill, amps do. Some argue 220 is safer because the higher voltage makes your muscles jerk away with more force, so you are less likely to get a lethal jolt.

Actually, it is worse than that... Verizon and Sprint are CDMA and AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM. But, they are all on different frequency bands than the rest of the world...

JPWhite said:
Europe and the REST OF THE WORLD adopted GSM, the USofA adopted CDMA. So if you want to travel from country to country you can if you have a GSM phone, but if you have a CDMA phone you are stuck to North America, (unless you spend extra bucks and have a dual band phone).

TickTock said:
Wow. Is this a joke? Looks like something Dr. Doofenshmirtz cooked up. An anti-simple-plug-inator!

I'm sure Ferb would come up with something much, much cooler.

Yes, I have a 8- and a 4-year-old

no one has stated the obvious: what is the insertion force required for that plug? I don't think weak/frail people will even be able to mate that connector together. Of course it really won't matter anyway, because thats just the car end, you're not likely to see many of the DC fast chargers anyway, and most people will still continue to use the J-1772 AC portion (upper part) of the connector, to charge at home, as they do now. It's not really going to affect much at all, so I wouldn't worry about it. Also, by the time its deployed, the 2nd generation of EVs will be out, say around 2014-2015 time frame, its nothing to get your pantys in a bunch about now :)

mitch672 said:
It's not really going to affect much at all, so I wouldn't worry about it. Also, by the time its deployed, the 2nd generation of EVs will be out, say around 2014-2015 time frame, its nothing to get your pantys in a bunch about now :)
Actually, if it DOES become the standard and is picked up by the automakers, your new LEAF (and mine) will likely take about a 30% hit in resale value, especially if Nissan doesn't offer a low-cost retrofit. And of course it will instantly kill any CHAdeMO fast-charger rollout here in the USA. So I think the impacts may be felt sooner than you think, perhaps even before it's standardized.

Back