Poll : How will you use your Leaf ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How will your Nissan Leaf be used ?

• No Car - Leaf will be my only car

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Single Car - Leaf will replace existing ICE car

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Single Car - Leaf will replace existing Hybrid car

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Single Car - Leaf will replace existing EV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Single Car - Leaf will be an additional car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Multiple Cars - Leaf will replace an existing ICE car

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Multiple Cars - Leaf will replace an existing Hybrid car

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Multiple Cars - Leaf will replace an existing EV

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Multiple Cars - Leaf will be an additional car

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • None of the above - explain in the post

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

evnow

Nissan targets Leaf at married families who have multiple cars. The idea is to use Leaf for commuting - and use the ICE car for longer distances. What is your situation and how do you plan to use Leaf ?

earlyadopter.png

I'm not really green - it just happens what I feel is best for the world matches the green viewpoint. Just for different reasons.

I pretty much fit their profile. But you have to replace "Prius" with "RAV4-EV".

Dav said:
I'm not really green - it just happens what I feel is best for the world matches the green viewpoint. Just for different reasons.

I pretty much fit their profile. But you have to replace "Prius" with "RAV4-EV".

I think if we where already driving RAV-4EVs, we would be ok.. not many where produced, so not many where able to afford and buy them, during the short window they where availble. Most of us do/have/and continue to drive Priu :)

Resale on the RAVs has gone done dramatically this year for the most part.

And I must admit, I think of myself as still having the RAV4-EV, but I don't. Money, and lack thereof, happens. :cry:

mwalsh said:
So, can I ask....why do you feel the need to replace the RAV4-EV and what are your plans for it? I can't imagine the resale is going to be as good as it traditionally has been.

If I had a RAV4 EV, I'd replace it. Newer batteries.

Replace one ICE. Sharing LEAF for daily commutes (schedule varies ... one @ 4x/wk=35 miles (RT), other @ 3x/wk=24 miles (RT)); projected annual total: 11k miles. Goal: put as many miles on BEV, not ICE, as possible. Unfortunately that goal will likely eliminate leasing (preferred) as the not-cost-effective option. (Since 11k is pure commute and excludes anything else. Need to know what lease annual mileage limit is. 15k would put lease back in the game.)

I have one ICE and an electric motorcycle. The bike has already replaced >90% of the driving. The ICE goes away when the Leaf arrives. 100% wind-powered EV miles!

Sounds like you may be in the same situation I am, Rat. (I started to say "same state" but we're obviously not only in the same state but the same "valley" thereof.) I like to say I'm 48, but that's because I was computer programmer by profession, and we think in hexadecimal. 16*4 + 8

"Single Car - Leaf will replace existing ICE car"

Yeah, I'm the adventurous type :lol:
Leaf should meet the vast majority of my transportation requirements, and in the event it does not there's always rent-a-car.

johnr said:
"Single Car - Leaf will replace existing ICE car"

Yeah, I'm the adventurous type :lol:
Leaf should meet the vast majority of my transportation requirements, and in the event it does not there's always rent-a-car.

Any family ?

I'll be buying at least two electric cars in the next year. My Mitsubishi i-MiEV goes back at the end of the year and so I need to replace it with something else and the G-Wiz is four years old now and its time for something newer.

My aim is not to have a gasoline powered car at all and to be able to do everything I need with electric cars.

Here in Europe, Renault (who own Nissan) are going to be launching two electric cars next year. They incorporate 'hot swap' batteries, so that if you are running low on juice, you just drive into a quick-drop station and swap the batteries. I saw the quick drop system demonstrated last fall in Germany and it looks really good. I must admit, I'm very tempted to go for the Renault for that reason - they're going to start installing quick drop stations at the end of this year, which means there should be enough of a network in place by the time the cars appear next summer.

That said, if the Nissan LEAF has high speed charging points installed in suitable locations, one of those would do the job just as well.

The other car will be a REVA NXR Intercity, which will be used for shorter journeys.

Pack Swapping, How will it Work:
What is the projected length of time to actually make a battery pack swap, drive in to drive out?
Does the car go on a rack, or over a pit?
How are the heavy battery packs stored and handled during the swap?
At the typical proposed "swap" station, how many cars can be handled at once?
If there is no charged pack available, how long would it take to quick-charge the battery?
How many "extra" (waiting) packs are required at a station?
If the recharge-to-full time is 40 minutes, and it takes 5 minutes, and there are two lines, one needs (40/5 * 2) 16 "waiting" packs?
What quality control would be done on a pack to insure that "poor" packs are serviced, not just "charged" and given to an unsuspecting customer?
What is the projected total fee for a swap?
Can these vehicles also be charged at home, at a mall, etc., or only pack-swapped?

Pack swap is something that Renault have developed with Better Place as a way of resolving the problems of range anxiety. You drive into this thing that looks like an automated car wash, and a robotic arm pops out from the floor, takes away the old battery and puts another one in its place. The whole process takes about two minutes.

With the Renault, you lease the batteries and never own them. I believe a certain number of pack swaps per year is incorporated into the lease cost of the batteries.

In every day driving, you just plug the car into the wall, just like any other normal electric car. You only use the pack swap stations if you need the range.

Frankly, I think it is a technology that will be overtaken by events and that ultimately, really fast charging stations are the way to go. But as a short term answer, pack swap does offer some useful benefits.

Back