Nissan announces 67 Leaf sales in February

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley

Nissan today announced its February sales including a total for the month of 67 Leaf sales

is that all? seems that there were much more than that. Carwings gained slightly more than that alone and i doubt that everyone registered

DaveinOlyWA said:
is that all? seems that there were much more than that. Carwings gained slightly more than that alone and i doubt that everyone registered
Keep in mind that CARWINGS is global.

I believe that the recent Carwings openings are for projected sale for March. By my calculations after looking at comments on this forum, it looks like there will be 500 or more sales in March.

Presently there are 142 registered CARWINGS users. I suspect the bulk of Feb LEAF sales were in Japan, rather than in North America. About 2/3 of CARWINGS users are presently from Japan. My SWAG would be ~300 LEAF sales globally in Feb.

I was hoping for more, but its just because of where they are diverting the cars too. I'm sure March numbers will be higher. I think the plant is reaching near full capacity. I'd bet there are 200 cars delivered in March...maybe more.

Skindogg79 said:
I was hoping for more, but its just because of where they are diverting the cars too. I'm sure March numbers will be higher. I think the plant is reaching near full capacity. I'd bet there are 200 cars delivered in March...maybe more.

I thought March was going to be their slowest month and then April they would jump up to their highest by an order of magnitude. For the record, what has been the delivery numbers? (Dec = 12, Jan = 110, Feb = 67) Is that close?

stanley said:
Nissan today announced its February sales including a total for the month of 67 Leaf sales
We knew it was going to be low.

BTW, I'll start a consolidated, stickied sales numbers thread later.

http://www.bradenton.com/2011/03/01/2997211/nissan-north-america-sales-rise.html

Please change tittle to "Nisan announces 67 Leaf sales for February in the USA"

Why does everyone seem to forget that the Leaf is made in Japan and that the bulk of them are currently being sold in Japan. Only once local demand is satisfied will the volume increases in the US. This should happen in April.

GM has sold nearly 1000 Volts TOTAL.
Nissan has sold about 4000 Leafs TOTAL.

Both are supply constrained but this clearly shows that Nissan has been able to increase production rates far faster than GM.

(I got the Leaf numbers from an interview with Mark Perry on Feb.17th where he states "we've built almost 4,000 Leafs globally already")

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/02/treehugger-radio-mark-perry-nissan-leaf-podcast.php?page=2

they may have built 4000 but they have only delivered 1000.

See the worldwide sales thread.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2883

palmermd said:

See the worldwide sales thread.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2883
Not really. We don't have Feb stats for Japan (or any stats for EU).

If you only count sales until end on January yes, but then GM only sold 647 Volts. When/if we get the stats for Japan and the EU then I'm sure the Leaf numbers far surpass the numbers of Volts.

I'm sick and tired of seeing "news" articles comparing sales of the Leaf to the Volt yet completely ignoring sales in Japan. What's worst is that this half-assed reporting is repeated in Leaf blogs and dedicated Leaf sites such as nissan-leaf.net

Muus, calm down. In April/May Nissan will be delivering some where between 1500 to 2,500 Leafs to the US. This will get lots of attention.

I agree with muus anger. I've just being reply to blogs (ie...fighting over the internet which is stupid) about a story that "Leaf and Volt sales are lackluster".

Are you kidding me. I can't even buy one yet. They cranking them out as fast as they can. The tone of the article was how there was a drop in sales from Jan to Feb. Its on "theatlantic.com" which I think is a right leaning site so the slant is that the Green movement is garbage.

I hate that everyone has a "news blog" and just spits out the news with their own slant.

Muus, calm down.

I think I have reason to be annoyed at the media and how they are falsely reporting that Nissan has sold less than 200 Leafs to date. Does the American media really think that the world is comprised by the USA ONLY? Just as GM (an American company) is concentrating sales of the Volt in the US, so is Nissan (a Japanese company) concentrating on their local market. I haven't seen any exact numbers yet but Nissan has certainly sold several thousand Leafs in Japan. They are only sending a token few to the US until they have satisfied local demand.

What really pisses me off is a dedicated Leaf blog (in theory should be pro Leaf) that comes out with the headline "Nissan LEAF Has Lackluster February Sales". Nowhere in the article does it explain that this is for the US only and that Nissan is delivering thousands of Leafs in Japan. The article finises with the following:

These figures have made consumers and some industry experts put these EVs on life support. These statistics are based off of productions and shipment of the LEAF and Volt. Once production finally ramps-up full speed, one can only hope that these numbers will increase.

ARH!!! Leaf production is actually ramping up faster than the Volt! Ev's on life support? What garbage!!!

The blame clearly falls on Nissan. Their own spokesman for the US kept saying that there were problems causing the slow sales. It was obvious BS. They definitely need to work on their PR because they are failing miserably to get good information out to the public. Truth usually works best, why they were trying to put spin on it is beyond me. Slow sales are due to the fact that they prefer to sell to the Japanese market first. I have no problem with them telling me the truth. The original spin was driving me nuts because it was obviously false.

The BEV is a real threat to almost all of the "entrenched" American auto industry, and Oil interests ... big, BIG money.

It is likely that we will see many "attacks", both small and large, of the EV movement, especially if it appears to be gaining a substantial market share. No, the attacks do not have to be fair, or even truthful. Staged "accidents" might occur and be pushed in our faces, and many other "behind-the-scenes" battles will be quietly hidden from view.

I hope we do not have to write the book "Who Killed the LEAFs", then "Who Killed America", and finally, the e-book "Who Killed the Planet".

muus said:
I think I have reason to be annoyed at the media and how they are falsely reporting that Nissan has sold less than 200 Leafs to date.
Yes - poor reporting is now the norm. Whenever I see something like that I try to leave a comment. Just did that here ...

http://www.gearlog.com/2011/03/chevy_volts_nissan_leafs_not_s.php

Back