Lost at sea?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars36

https://www.autonews.com/suppliers/4-feared-dead-salvage-mission-launched-disabled-car-carrier-pacific

I would assume a Nissan Leaf did not self combust to start this fire...good to hear the majority of folks were rescued. The cost to Nissan (or whoever insures the trip), if all vehicles lost (assuming $25,000 average factory cost, 3,500 vehicles) would be close to $90,000,000.

jdcbomb said:
I would assume a Nissan Leaf did not self combust to start this fire...good to hear the majority of folks were rescued. The cost to Nissan (or whoever insures the trip), if all vehicles lost (assuming $25,000 average factory cost, 3,500 vehicles) would be close to $90,000,000.
As far as I know, there has never been an incident of a Leaf battery pack self-combusting. The bigger risk would be all those gas powered cars with some gas in the tank for loading and unloading. And while we are at it - Leafs for the continental US market are built in the US, not shipped from Japan. Now, where Hawaii gets their Leafs, I don't know.

Dooglas said:
Leafs for the continental US market are built in the US, not shipped from Japan. Now, where Hawaii gets their Leafs, I don't know.

They would get them from the US mainland, as they still have to be EPA and NHTSA certified. The numbers of cars sold in Hawaii (particularly Leafs) would not be economically feasible for Nissan to make in Japan for just that small market when it can source them from the same place as for the other 49 states. Also, Honolulu to Tokyo is over 3800 miles as the crow flies. Honolulu to LA is less than 2600 miles.

As far as possible Nissan models on board, a quick Google search shows the following US-spec Nissans coming from Japan: Rogue Sport (Qashqai in other markets), 370Z, and GT-R. There may be others, particularly if some of these Nissans are actually Infinitis. Of course there could be other brands on board, but only Nissan (and Honda, with 41 vehicles) has confirmed they had a shipment on board this vessel.

As far as the cause of the fire, that could be anything. Other types of ships that don't carry automobiles catch fire, including cruise ships.

Back