Leaf S discontinued??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplearrbee

Hi - we're looking to purchase a 2019 Leaf S, and had a deposit down with the North Vancouver dealer for January delivery with a BC "ScrapIt" allocation.

However they called us yesterday and said the S wasn't being produced for 2019 until at least the summer (something to do with 60Kw model perhaps?), so our options were either an SV/SL, defer purchase until 2020, or wait for summer reboot but give up our ScrapIt allocation.

After searching the web and this forum though, can't find any confirmation of that story; though it seems like something writers and other purchasers would be talking about.

Is this true, and any details why?

Hopefully not some scammy sales trick...though it would backfire if so. The ProPilot is useless since we don't commute and have another vehicle for long highway trips, and the only reason we're looking at a Leaf instead of a Bolt is the 8k discount since we don't need the range for the same reasons.

If only available Leaf alternative is only 4k cheaper though, Bolt it is...

maplearrbee said:
Hi - we're looking to purchase a 2019 Leaf S, and had a deposit down with the North Vancouver dealer for January delivery with a BC "ScrapIt" allocation.

However they called us yesterday and said the S wasn't being produced for 2019 until at least the summer (something to do with 60Kw model perhaps?), so our options were either an SV/SL, defer purchase until 2020, or wait for summer reboot but give up our ScrapIt allocation.
I've never heard this before but then again, I don't live in Canada.

BTW, battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "Kw". Please see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26837&p=540845&hilit=kW+kWh+different+metrics#p540845.

2018 and 2019 40 kWh Leafs have a 110 kW motor.

I can't find any S trim models on sale in the Lower Mainland either, but these prices on SVs are decent:

https://www.mertinnissan.com/new/model/LEAF/s/price/o/asc

https://southsidenissan.ca/new-inventory/index.htm?model=LEAF&sortBy=internetPrice+asc&

To my mind, the SV trim level provides good value for the extra features. In particular, the hybrid heat system in our climate is very worthwhile, and the NAV/Infotainment system on the SV is much improved over older models as it now includes Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The intelligent cruise control, although cool tech, seems less compelling to me as I don't do a lot of highway driving. It also seems as though the driver's seat in the SV is a decent improvement (8-way power adjustable driver's bucket seat with 2-way adjustable lumbar), although I haven't actually sat in a 2018/2019 LEAF yet.

More details on the trim levels are provided in the 2018 LEAF brochure:

https://www.nissan.ca/content/dam/nissan/ca/request-brochure/en/2018/pdf/2018-nissan-nissan-leaf-en.pdf

To my mind, the SV trim level provides good value for the extra features. In particular, the hybrid heat system in our climate is very worthwhile,...

It has to be noted, though, that in the US the SV no longer comes with the heat pump as standard equipment - you have to get the expensive cold weather package, or you get the "2011 comfort level" meaning no heat pump, no heated seats, no heated wheel...This change could result in the S being dropped, in North America, I suppose. The S is ill-suited for Canadian weather, IMO.

LeftieBiker said:
To my mind, the SV trim level provides good value for the extra features. In particular, the hybrid heat system in our climate is very worthwhile,...

It has to be noted, though, that the SV no longer comes with the heat pump as standard equipment - you have to get the expensive cold weather package
The OP is in Canada. Despite their trim level letters being the same as the US, the equipment levels have sometimes differed.

Unfortunately, https://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/canada/presskits/ca-2018-nissan-leaf-press-kit Specs is useless and https://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/canada/pages/en-ca-nissan-press-kit-archive doesn't have '19 Leaf yet.

However, if you go to https://www.nissan.ca/en/electric-cars/leaf/versions-specs/ and look under S vs. SV under Mechanical, it says Hybrid heater system is n/a on S but standard on their SV.

If you go thru their Build tool, there are no packages available on Canadian SV, unlike US SV. I put in a random postal code of V5H 3Z7 that I found via Google.

^^^
No prob. I took a quick look at the Canadian brochure at https://www.nissan.ca/content/dam/nissan/ca/request-brochure/en/2018/pdf/2018-nissan-nissan-leaf-en.pdf and page 9 confirms SV comes with Hybrid heater system.

I just went thru the Canadian "build" tool is it seems that all 3 '19 Leaf trim levels have no packages, which is totally different from the US: "There are currently no packages available for this version. Please click the Accessories button to continue. "

I found the verbiage on page 5 amusing
NEW INNOVATIVE BATTERY
Nissan LEAF’s battery pack has been developed in-house,
rigorously tested, and has an extraordinary record of reliability,
meaning you can feel confident you are driving the best
battery technology around.
Aside from degradation, reliability does seem pretty good. You should see the # of folks who've had entire packs replaced on "TMC". I can't think of any here other than for degradation. Faulty modules seem rare.

But the last part...

cwerdna said:
I found the verbiage on page 5 amusing
NEW INNOVATIVE BATTERY
Nissan LEAF’s battery pack has been developed in-house,
rigorously tested, and has an extraordinary record of reliability,
meaning you can feel confident you are driving the best
battery technology around.
Aside from degradation, reliability does seem pretty good. You should see the # of folks who've had entire packs replaced on "TMC". I can't think of any here other than for degradation. Faulty modules seem rare.

But the last part...

:roll:

Yeah that is like Russell Wilson not winning the MVP. Best Quarterback around, without any support...

As far as 2019 S's. They are here but Canada's supply and options have always been questionable and what is available in province isn't necessarily available in others. But then again, isn't that how all EV manufacturers operate?

cwerdna said:
Interesting point. When you read other general discussions about EVs, the issues of battery fires and high voltage risks come up. I have never seen a post here about a battery fire or high voltage accident/injury involving a Leaf. I'm sure one must have happened somewhere, but the risk appears to be quite low.

Dooglas said:
cwerdna said:
Interesting point. When you read other general discussions about EVs, the issues of battery fires and high voltage risks come up. I have never seen a post here about a battery fire or high voltage accident/injury involving a Leaf. I'm sure one must have happened somewhere, but the risk appears to be quite low.

Risk is lower due to no liquid TMS but the question becomes is the additional level of safety worth it? Especially when other measures like conditioned forced air would be MUCH better than nothing.

LeftieBiker said:
you have to get the expensive cold weather package, or you get the "2011 comfort level" meaning no heat pump

Hah, you could call it the "12,000 BC Comfort Level", meaning "you'll drive like it's the last ice age to save range".

Risk is lower due to no liquid TMS but the question becomes is the additional level of safety worth it?

What?? The risk of fire is lower because of the chemistry used in the cells. The lack of battery cooling is pretty much unrelated to the risk of fire, but if there is a correlation, it would be "higher risk" of fire because the pack can get hotter in normal driving. Or are you suggesting that a "liquid TMS" would use a highly flammable liquid...?

LeftieBiker said:
Risk is lower due to no liquid TMS but the question becomes is the additional level of safety worth it?

What?? The risk of fire is lower because of the chemistry used in the cells. The lack of battery cooling is pretty much unrelated to the risk of fire, but if there is a correlation, it would be "higher risk" of fire because the pack can get hotter in normal driving. Or are you suggesting that a "liquid TMS" would use a highly flammable liquid...?
FWIW, I found https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/aerial_ign/plsphere/hazmat/docs/msds_ethylene.pdf which does cover flammability on page 2.

But yes, it seems the bigger contributor is the chemistry of the cells.

Flammability of the Product:
May be combustible at high temperature.
Auto-Ignition Temperature: 398°C (748.4°F)
Flash Points: CLOSED CUP: 111°C (231.8°F). (Tagliabue.)
Flammable Limits: LOWER: 3.2%
Products of Combustion: These products are carbon oxides (CO, CO2).
Fire Hazards in Presence of Various Substances:
Slightly flammable to flammable in presence of open flames and sparks, of heat. Non-flammable in presence of shocks.
Explosion Hazards in Presence of Various Substances:
Risks of explosion of the product in presence of mechanical impact: Not available. Risks of explosion of the product in
presence of static discharge: Not available.
Fire Fighting Media and Instructions:
SMALL FIRE: Use DRY chemical powder. LARGE FIRE: Use water spray, fog or foam. Do not use water jet.
Special Remarks on Fire Hazards:
Not available.
Special Remarks on Explosion Hazards:
Explosive decomposition may occur if combined with strong acids or strong bases and subjected to elevated temperatures.

I think if EG were very flammable we'd see more fires starting in the cooling systems of ICE vehicles.

Back