GM "restructuring" and Tesla was "weeks away from death"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanuckEVDriver

Here are a couple of links from yesterday's news....

http://time.com/5463338/general-motors-gm-job-cuts-layoffs/ For GM restructuring

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/26/business/elon-musk-tesla-axios/index.html For Elon Musk's comments

These two news stories that came out yesterday are a bit concerning for the EV market.

With GM's restructuring (again), makes one wonder about the future of the Volt and Bolt.

With Tesla being on shaky ground and Elon Musk wanting to move to Mars is also not optimistic.

Also, at least here in Canada, the deployment of charging stations along Canada's busiest highway appears to have stalled.

Just thinking out loud here...

The oil cartel all changing to "energy" companies now. With their deep wallets, they seem to be positioning themselves to freeze out the budding EV market, by buying up battery companies and the mines that produce the battery cells.

I really hope I'm wrong...

With GM's restructuring (again), makes one wonder about the future of the Volt and Bolt.

There is talk that part of the goal of the restructuring is to begin to focus more on EVs and electric drive vehicles. (Maybe that will happen with the plants being idled next year.) I wouldn't be surprised to see the Voltec drivetrain re-emerge in an SUV or crossover.

LeftieBiker said:

There is talk that part of the goal of the restructuring is to begin to focus more on EVs and electric drive vehicles. (Maybe that will happen with the plants being idled next year.) I wouldn't be surprised to see the Voltec drivetrain re-emerge in an SUV or crossover.

The Voltec drivetrain is already in a crossover. It is being made for the Chinese market. Hopefully they will bring it to the USA.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/27/trump-threatens-to-strip-gm-of-a-tax-credit-its-about-to-lose-anyway.html

Not that he can... but if he could the irony is in the absence of subsidies being extended it would actually benefit Tesla, as other mfrs take their timeouts to the locker room.

CanuckEVDriver said:
The oil cartel all changing to "energy" companies now. With their deep wallets, they seem to be positioning themselves to freeze out the budding EV market, by buying up battery companies and the mines that produce the battery cells.
I really hope I'm wrong...
It's not big oil we have to worry about, it's China.
The Chinese have already purchased the mines that produce the minerals to make batteries.
China does not have oil reserves to speak of, so they need another solution.
China is a very polluted country and can't afford to add to that with gasoline engines for the general population.
China is the worlds largest car market.

Therefore, the Chinese are developing and pushing EV's. BMW will build their first EV SUV in China. Other manufacturers are following suit. Big oil has no influence in China because China has found another solution...EV's. Big oil will not be able to stop EV development and sales in China. When the world sees that the EV solution is more elegant than ICE (fewer moving parts, less maintenance , less pollution, etc), then we'll be buying cars made in China. That's what worries me, and I hope I'm wrong.

All this news of Ghosn and Musk show us that the Future of EVs should not be placed in the hands of only a few individuals. I think that GM dropping the VOLT, and the stopping of the 60 KWH battery for the Leaf tells us something. A storm is brewing in the EV world.

We should hold onto our cars, and Lobby to get all the spare parts to keep them running. If I end up having a great car that needs a battery, I'll be damned if I am going to sell it for nothing or junk it. Ill leave it in my driveway until this EV crap is over..

LTLFTcomposite said:
Not that he can... but if he could the irony is in the absence of subsidies being extended it would actually benefit Tesla, as other mfrs take their timeouts to the locker room.

Also would benefit GM, the second to hit 200k.

Back