EV Project expanded to the San Francisco Bay Area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://www.ecotality.com/pressreleases/20110202_BAAQMD.pdf

ECOtality Wins $2.87M in Bay Area Contracts, Expands The EV Project to the San Francisco Bay Area

SAN FRANCISCO – February 2, 2011 – ECOtality, Inc.(NASDAQ:ECTY), a leader in clean electric transportation and storage, announced today that it has expanded The EV Project to the San Francisco Bay Area. ECOtality was awarded a $2.87 million contract from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (Air District) to become the Project Manager of the organization’s Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Deployment Program. Through this program, ECOtality will oversee the installation of 2,750 home charging stations and 30 DC fast charging stations throughout the Bay Area.

Too bad it's too late for some of us. Why did it freaking take so long!! Not that I'm upset for the rest of you, very happy in fact, but it just burns me that it wasn't done sooner.

"...said Jonathan Read, CEO of ECOtality. 'One of our major goals has always been to ‘electrify’ the West Coast, from Canada to Mexico. We have already completed EV infrastructure blueprints for Washington, Oregon, and Southern California, and are proud to serve as the project lead for the Air Quality Board. With the addition of the Bay Area to The EV Project, we have completed the West Coast transportation corridor.'"

Sorry Mr. Read, but it looks to me like there is still at least one gap of about 300 miles, between the North Bay area and Southern Oregon.

As both a resident of North California who has to breath the pollution which drifts up here from the Bay Area and the rest of CENTRAL California, and as a potential LEAF driver who will likely use the your Chargers at some point in the future, thanks.

But Won't the utility of All West coast EV owners be greatly enhanced when The DC charge corridor actually is completed?

Which, coincidentally, would put a couple of DC chargers within range of my LEAF.

I hinted to this earlier as I got an advance warning. Now two BA options for reduced or free EVSEs.

EVDRIVER said:
I hinted to this earlier as I got an advance warning. Now two BA options for reduced or free EVSEs.

Yes, I got your last hint, but that was even too late. So keep your "I told you so". Was there ever a thread that stated not to order the car until February, not to install an EVSE until February for Bay Area people? The earlier program was a reimbursment, which I thought might still be possible, but the EV Project people I've been writing to since last April with no response or warning that they were finally going to get this through. Where was my "advance warning?". What about everyone that has a confirmed order with the $700 QC option? Are they still going to have to pay for it? I'm out over $4,200 dollars for the EVSE and necessary upgrades, half of which I didn't know about until the City of Pleasanton hit me with a minimum of 200a panel once the work was already started. If I knew the total cost ahead of time, then maybe I would have waited, but as it istood in December, there was a big push to try to get it done before the end of the year before the one known tax break would be gone....but it looks like I'll be hit with AMT for 2010, so that probably won't matter anyway.

Ready2plugin said:
EVDRIVER said:

Yes, I got your last hint, but that was even too late. So keep your "I told you so". Was there ever a thread that stated not to order the car until February, not to install an EVSE until February for Bay Area people? The earlier program was a reimbursment, which I thought might still be possible, but the EV Project people I've been writing to since last April with no response or warning that they were finally going to get this through. Where was my "advance warning?". What about everyone that has a confirmed order with the $700 QC option? Are they still going to have to pay for it? I'm out over $4,200 dollars for the EVSE and necessary upgrades, half of which I didn't know about until the City of Pleasanton hit me with a minimum of 200a panel once the work was already started. If I knew the total cost ahead of time, then maybe I would have waited, but as it istood in December, there was a big push to try to get it done before the end of the year before the one known tax break would be gone....but it looks like I'll be hit with AMT for 2010, so that probably won't matter anyway.

I did not say "I told you so" and I have hinted months ago about not buying EVSEs, in multiple threads. Back in Oct ish have basically told people they had a high probability of getting one for free in Q1 or so if they could be patient and use L1. I still think it is completely hasty to pay the prices that people are paying on EVSEs today. Just my EVSE opinion from watching the second EVSE wave here in the US. Clearly some will be stuck with upgrade costs.

EVDRIVER said:
I did not say "I told you so" and I have hinted months ago about not buying EVSEs, in multiple threads. Back in Oct ish have basically told people they had a high probability of getting one for free in Q1 or so if they could be patient and use L1. I still think it is completely hasty to pay the prices that people are paying on EVSEs today. Just my EVSE opinion from watching the second EVSE wave here in the US. Clearly some will be stuck with upgrade costs.

Guess that's what I get for not reading every single thread on the board. Plus it's easier said then done when tax breaks are expiring and your car is being delivered.

So anyone know how to get in on this action if they have already taken delivery or placed an order for the Leaf?

I agree. I remember that Bay Area Air Quality Management had $5 mil or so awared to give to EVSE to be installed at homes but I never got any clear info or responses. I would like to know how I can get EVSE installed still. I don't mind getting a BLINK Charger installed instead of my AV one. I can still sell my AV Unit to someone I presume.

Also if you got an SL + QC. Will Nissan not charge for the QC option if you get selected?

evnow said:
Let us know if anyone calls Ecotality and finds out any info ...
I just called the ECOtality office in San Francisco and spoke with Nina, I hope that is how she spells it, for a little bit. She said the project is so new that she really does not have many details yet. She could not tell me if I would even be in the running for the program since she does not have the zip codes to determine that. She did say to be sure and be on the ECOtality mailing list by filling out the form on the http://www.theevproject.com/ site. I asked her if she could at least give me an idea if I could still be part of the program even though I have already taken delivery of the Leaf and she did not think that would be a problem but the feeling I got is that was just her opinion.

I think my next step is to get a hold of someone at Nissan. I wonder who this Zack from Nissan is that Rat mentioned talking to is this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2596 I would like to give him a call.

Spies said:
So anyone know how to get in on this action if they have already taken delivery or placed an order for the Leaf?
I don't know if the same rules apply, but in San Diego, you can join EV Project any time between Reservation and Delivery.

GroundLoop said:
I don't know if the same rules apply, but in San Diego, you can join EV Project any time between Reservation and Delivery.
I hope that is not true since I have already taken delivery of my Leaf. It would be pretty lame if I need to sell the Leaf I have and buy another just to be part of the program is that were true. I certainly hope it does not come to that.

GroundLoop said:
Spies said:

Yes, but San Diego was in the project before any cars were delivered, I hope they have a different policy for the Bay Area.

There was some talk about the SL-e trims having some way to talk to Blink wirelessly. So, not sure how that works.

Groundloop, Do you know if freee Ecotality chargers are still available in San Diego or have they filled their allotment?

EVDRIVER said:
Well, sort of.

I just spoke with Michael Neward at BAAQMD. It turns out that the Ecotality involvement here in the Bay Area will be connected to the District's grant. They're now working with four contractors; Ecotality, AeroVironment, Coulomb, and Clipper Creek. It doesn't look like Leviton will be directly involved, though they may somehow be connected with Coulomb (that's strictly MY interpretation of what I heard, please don't quote me on that!) Each contractor has their own requirements and conditions. Consumers (that's us) will work directly with the contractor of our choice, and BAAQMD will then reimburse the contractor up to $700, depending on costs, including installation and permitting.

Contracts have not been signed and returned, and details of each won't be finalized until around March 1. No one knows for sure, but things were originally proposed for vehicles purchased after 1 Dec 2010, so that means Brian and others MAY still be in luck. At a minimum, requirements appear (to me) to include: Bay Area resident, actually own and have registered an electric vehicle, obtain a building permit. Other requirements would be up to each contractor, and each has different specs, especially around things like connectivity (think the Ecotality reporting.) But I do know that we won't really have any contact directly with BAAQMD, they are merely providing funds to the four contractors after all conditions have been satisfied.

So it looks to me like we consumers now need to check in with the contractors and see what's involved on getting on their lists. And check on the District's website - http://www.baaqmd.gov/evready - (probably after March 1) for further information.

I'm sure there's lots more that heard and that you want to know, but that should be good for starters.

Glenn

Glenn said:
EVDRIVER said:
Well, sort of.

I just spoke with Michael Neward at BAAQMD. It turns out that the Ecotality involvement here in the Bay Area will be connected to the District's grant. They're now working with four contractors; Ecotality, AeroVironment, Coulomb, and Clipper Creek. It doesn't look like Leviton will be directly involved, though they may somehow be connected with Coulomb (that's strictly MY interpretation of what I heard, please don't quote me on that!) Each contractor has their own requirements and conditions. Consumers (that's us) will work directly with the contractor of our choice, and BAAQMD will then reimburse the contractor up to $700, depending on costs, including installation and permitting.

Contracts have not been signed and returned, and details of each won't be finalized until around March 1. No one knows for sure, but things were originally proposed for vehicles purchased after 1 Dec 2010, so that means Brian and others MAY still be in luck. At a minimum, requirements appear (to me) to include: Bay Area resident, actually own and have registered an electric vehicle, obtain a building permit. Other requirements would be up to each contractor, and each has different specs, especially around things like connectivity (think the Ecotality reporting.) But I do know that we won't really have any contact directly with BAAQMD, they are merely providing funds to the four contractors after all conditions have been satisfied.

So it looks to me like we consumers now need to check in with the contractors and see what's involved on getting on their lists. And check on the District's website - http://www.baaqmd.gov/evready - (probably after March 1) for further information.

I'm sure there's lots more that heard and that you want to know, but that should be good for starters.

Glenn

Great information Glenn. Thank you for posting this. It does give us some hope. I wonder why the Bay Area's EV Project would differ so much from LA and San Diego?

Ready2plugin said:
Great information Glenn. Thank you for posting this. It does give us some hope. I wonder why the Bay Area's EV Project would differ so much from LA and San Diego?
Brian, I don't think there would be much difference at all, perhaps a few tweaks based on regional politics or whatever. It's just that they'd be also involved with BAAQMD in getting some of their funding (I believe they get a major infusion from DOE) which would then affect how much, if any, they'd then charge the end user. But I could be way off base and unfortunately a lot more won't be known until they sign off on the contract with BAAQMD.

Glenn

This is the info I just got.

Thank you for your email! At this point, Nissan will be sending out a survey to people who have pre-ordered the LEAF that will help determine whether you are eligible for the EV Project. As the grant was just announced, we are still working to determine EV Project boundaries and zipcodes for the Bay Area. You may sign up for our newsletter on the EV Project website at http://www.theevproject.com/sign-up.php, and that way we will have your information in our database of interested Bay Area residents. Please stay tuned for more updates, and thank you for your support!

Best regards,
ECOtality

Back