Acronyms

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

Mods, move this as you see fit.

we have all kinds of abbreviations flying around and although we do have some tacit agreement as to what means what, i think, we need to attempt to create a standardized list that newbys can access.

post new suggestions, feedback, etc.

so a suggested start.

AMPK; This is AC charge from wall as it relates to miles/KWH efficiency. usually from a Kill A Watt or such

CPM ; Cents per mile. a way to measure and track your ROI

DMPK; This is usually reported by car or carwings and designates efficiency of car as to relates to power from Battery pack, regen, etc.

EVSE: Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. The item needed to allow any modern electric vehicle accept a 110 or 220 volt charge. (I'm sure someone else will have a better definition for this)

KAW; Kill A Watt is a device that tracks power usage. great for determining exactly how much money you are spending when charging your Leaf. this can be a generic term for any type of metering device. now KAW is currently 110 volt so not a lot will use it. a 220 volt metering term would be nice

KWH; killowatt-hours which is standard term used by electric companies

L-1 ; designates charging. L-1 is 110 volt, L-2 is 220 and L-3 is 440 DC quick charge

MPK; Miles per killowatt-hour

QC; Quick Charge. 440 DC fast charging which brings you to 80% SOC within 30 minutes

SOC ; State of Charge. is a percentage relating the amount of capacity remaining compared to a fully charged battery.

color code is 0000FF (made it easy)

so post additions, i will update OP. now i dont think general terms are needed. just electrical/ battery/Leaf specific stuff.

Don't forget the big one

EVSE: Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. The item needed to allow any modern electric vehicle accept a 110 or 220 volt charge. (I'm sure someone else will have a better definition for this)

good point Jason. edits to definitions are fine as well. remember, its 5 AM and i am just finishing first cup of coffee. so this is very rough draft

DaveinOlyWA said:
PD is "preferred dealer" this term was born during the registration and RAQ "request a quote" phase of the pre-order process
Aahh, now it's obvious. But I was racking my brain before. Thanks.

Although it seems like a lost cause, because the incorrect usage seems universal at MNL, I would like to point out that 440 Volt DC "quick charging" is not the same as "Level 3". There is a category for AC Level 3 charging, the details of which remain to be determined. DC charging at 200-450 Volts, up to 36kW (80 Amps) is tentatively known as DC Level 1.

http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingspeeds.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While you're at it, you might want to explain that kWh is a unit of energy and that kW is a unit of power, which is energy used (or generated) per unit time. So, kW [energy/time] x hours [time] = kWh [energy]. The difference between energy and power is often confusing for newcomers to the wonderful world of electricity.
Also: Volts x Amps = Watts

FWIW! :)

dgpcolorado said:
Although it seems like a lost cause, because the incorrect usage seems universal at MNL,

Hey! You didn't define MNL ! ;)

dgpcolorado said:
A I would like to point out that 440 Volt DC "quick charging" is not the same as "Level 3".

I see "Level 3" associated with CHAdeMO all over the place, including Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHAdeMO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Such high voltage and high-current charging is called a DC Fast Charge and is also referred to as level-3 charging (in contrast with less powerful AC charging levels 1 & 2).
Aker Wade Power Technologies has entered into a licensing agreement with TEPCO to manufacture and market Level 3 DC fast chargers for electric vehicles.
http://www.mychargepoint.net/faq-standards.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Level III refers to DC charging, or “fast charging.”
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11139160/1/aerovironments-level-3-fast-charging-chademo-compliant-stations-deliver-high-power-dc-charging-for-ev-drivers-with-very-little-time-to-spare-mirroring-the-way-drivers-currently-use-gasoline-stations-photo-business-wire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AeroVironment's Level 3 Fast Charging, CHAdeMO Compliant Stations...
http://gas2.org/2010/05/24/electric-cars-are-coming-but-where-are-the-fast-chargers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although you’ll find many people on the internet claiming that Level 3 charging involves “such-and-such” Voltage and “so-and-so” Amperage, the fact of the matter is that this type of charging is defined as any charging above 14.4 kilowatts.
etc.

Yeah, there are L1, L2 & L3 for AC and for DC, but it seems all over the place they have "simplified" to talk only of L1 and L2 for AC, and L3 for "high speed" DC.

dgpcolorado said:
Although it seems like a lost cause, because the incorrect usage seems universal at MNL, I would like to point out that 440 Volt DC "quick charging" is not the same as "Level 3". There is a category for AC Level 3 charging, the details of which remain to be determined. DC charging at 200-450 Volts, up to 36kW (80 Amps) is tentatively known as DC Level 1.

http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingspeeds.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While you're at it, you might want to explain that kWh is a unit of energy and that kW is a unit of power, which is energy used (or generated) per unit time. So, kW [energy/time] x hours [time] = kWh [energy]. The difference between energy and power is often confusing for newcomers to the wonderful world of electricity.

what designations were originally defined as and what becomes the definitive standard used is not always the same. QC may not have been coined to designate 440 DC but that is what it has become.

language is ever evolving. people may use it incorrectly but if it becomes widely understood to mean a specific meaning, then that becomes the change in the language. any attempts to correct the meaning simply adds confusion to the issue.

as far as the QC term; i prefer to get it right and i thought i had. but if only a few are using it correctly, its communication, definition. all of which is constantly refined to reflect the current way people exchange ideas.

dgpcolorado said:

what designations were originally defined as and what becomes the definitive standard used is not always the same. QC may not have been coined to designate 440 DC but that is what it has become.

language is ever evolving. people may use it incorrectly but if it becomes widely understood to mean a specific meaning, then that becomes the change in the language. any attempts to correct the meaning simply adds confusion to the issue.

as far as the QC term; i prefer to get it right and i thought i had. but if only a few are using it correctly, its communication, definition. all of which is constantly refined to reflect the current way people exchange ideas.

DaveinOlyWA said:
AMPK; This is AC charge from wall as it relates to miles/KWH efficiency. usually from a Kill A Watt or such
DMPK; This is usually reported by car or carwings and designates efficiency of car as to relates to power from Battery pack, regen, etc.
These explain what the acronyms mean, but not what the expanded acronyms represent.

Does AMPK mean 'Actual Miles Per KWH', and DMPK mean 'Displayed Miles Per KWH'?

Perhaps someone can offer the correct acronym expansion, if my guesses are incorrect.

Back