NEC Exits Battery Electrode Business And Joint Venture With Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM has always left their batteries to the experts and have the most robust batteries.

It is possible that Nissan wants freedom to source anywhere.

The peanut gallery is talking about solid state and other nonsense but generally batteries no matter how good they are take about 2 decades to move into the automotive sphere,

Look at LifePO4, it's possible to build up to a far safer and superior spec to traditional antique lithium but it's too young and limited to hobby market cars.
Look at CNT batteries, they are only sold for RC cars.

All battery tech is proven out through military, aerospace, and hobbies markets before the auto industry will touch.

Nissan likely wants insulation from the computer like obsolescence batteries carry so they can step in with the flavor of the decade.

We will see if this bears fruit

Fire sale.

Nissan tried and failed to make a deal with LG for LEAF batteries. I presume that so long as LEAF is supplied by AESC-for-sale the technology will stagnate. This also means that people hoping for better battery performance and longevity in the upcoming LEAF are being optimistic.

SageBrush said:
Fire sale.

Nissan tried and failed to make a deal with LG for LEAF batteries. I presume that so long as LEAF is supplied by AESC-for-sale the technology will stagnate. This also means that people hoping for better battery performance and longevity in the upcoming LEAF are being optimistic.

Mitsu's batteries are better than AESC in many ways,
it's possible Nissan is working to get that tech more compatible with mass production.

And here's the other half of the story, via GCC:
Nissan to sell AESC automotive Li-ion battery business to GSR Capital
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/08/20170808-nissan.html

. . . The sale and purchase agreement covers Nissan’s battery subsidiary, Automotive Energy Supply Corporation (AESC), as well as battery manufacturing operations in Smyrna, Tennessee, owned by Nissan North America Inc. (NNA), and in Sunderland, England, owned by Nissan Motor Manufacturing (UK) Ltd. (NMUK). Assets sold to GSR will also include part of Nissan’s Japanese battery development and production engineering operations located in Oppama, Atsugi and Zama. . . .

Back