Four battery replacements under warranty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

Family member has a 13 month old 30kwh SV with a little over 12k miles that has now lost two bars. At that rate of degradation they could be replacing the battery 3-4 times under the capacity warranty, and at the 10 year mark the car could be approaching lawn ornament status. (No way we're replacing batteries in this POS on our dime)

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I am shocked that you are talking like that with the number of posts you have made on this site... I would understand that from a NEWBEE who is considering to purchase a car.

If that is true, You and I know that that kind of battery deterioration is not normal, and that there was a defect in the battery. How can you then extrapolate (predict) that now, the car will need 4 battery replacements. You are a chicken little, and no, the sky is not falling...

The OP is one of a few that had Leafs in the past then turned them in. For some reason they still come here and post to try and make us feel bad...lol. I have been a part of the Volvo and BMW forums when I had one of those. Never in my wildest dreams, or boredom, would I ever consider going back there to read or comment. If the worst thing that can happen to the Leaf is a battery replacement, then that is the price I am willing to pay.

Good luck to his family member!

LTLFTcomposite said:
Family member has a 13 month old 30kwh SV with a little over 12k miles that has now lost two bars. At that rate of degradation they could be replacing the battery 3-4 times under the capacity warranty, and at the 10 year mark the car could be approaching lawn ornament status. (No way we're replacing batteries in this POS on our dime)

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Wow! That is tough. Are they plugging in and charging as soon as they get home?

This poster sounds like a trouble maker baiting everyone for an argument... If in fact it is true that there is really something wrong with a car, then DO something about it. Take it to the dealer, and THEN report back on how well they handled your problem...

You sound like someone that complains that their car door doesn't close, better yet - - you have a flat tire.... And then complain what a piece of junk the car is... Before ever taking it to the mechanic... I hate agitators... or was it alligators??

LTLFTcomposite said:
Yes, come home from work and plug in, unplug the next morning. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?
That's what I did with my first battery and cooked it - the battery never got a chance to cool. Now I plug in as soon as I get home but have the charging delayed so it completes 30 minutes before I leave in the morning. There could be a couple of other simple techniques that your family member could use to reduce wear - don't charge every day if they have a short commute, don't charge to 100% and leave the car sitting for multiple days - at least when they get to battery number four :)

Either way, I agree that Leaf Spy data would be interesting, especially if they keep the car long term.

powersurge said:
This poster sounds like a trouble maker baiting everyone for an argument
No, more wondering if Nissan will actually replace the battery multiple times under the capacity warranty. We took the leap of faith that they wouldn't have put an eight year warranty on it if they didn't think they had the problems fixed so it would hold up and purchased instead of leased.

powersurge said:
I am shocked that you are talking like that with the number of posts you have made on this site... I would understand that from a NEWBEE who is considering to purchase a car.

If that is true, You and I know that that kind of battery deterioration is not normal, and that there was a defect in the battery. How can you then extrapolate (predict) that now, the car will need 4 battery replacements. You are a chicken little, and no, the sky is not falling...
What the heck is up w/slamming the OP? Is is already well known that it seems the 30 kWh batteries are not holding up well. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23606.

It seems like they took a step back compared to the '15 lizard batteries. It's unclear if it's systemic problem or if a few folks have bad/defective batteries or there's a bad batch/date range. If it's systemic and inherent to the 30 kWh batteries, Nissan hasn't screwed w/the thresholds of the capacity bars, Nissan isn't able to/doesn't improve the chemistry of the 30 kWh batteries, then that coupled with the longer 8 year/100K capacity warranty on the 30 kWh batteries could result in at least 3 and maybe 4 replacements in very hot areas.

For comparison, GerryAZ in Phoenix on his '15 as recently said at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=499072#p499072
GerryAZ said:
I have driven the 2015 for 29 months and 43,800 miles so far and it still has 11 capacity bars so I am satisfied with its performance and it is almost certain that the capacity warranty will expire before the original battery qualifies for replacement. In contrast, the replacement battery in the 2011 would likely have been down to 8 bars by 5 years and 60,000 miles to qualify for a second new battery.
IIRC, there was at least 1 Phoenician who got their HV battery pack replaced twice under the capacity warranty. I'm pretty sure this was pre-lizard.

LTLFTcomposite said:
No, more wondering if Nissan will actually replace the battery multiple times under the capacity warranty. We took the leap of faith that they wouldn't have put an eight year warranty on it if they didn't think they had the problems fixed so it would hold up and purchased instead of leased.

Perhaps you should consider contacting Nissan with your question and letting us know what you find out. Just a thought...

I too inferred that given the capacity warranty was lengthened to 8 years/100K miles on the 30 kWh batteries that Nissan was very confident in these batteries and that they should have equal to or better degradation characteristics than the lizard batteries in the model year 2015 cars.

So far, this hasn't been this case.

ENIAC said:
Perhaps you should consider contacting Nissan with your question and letting us know what you find out. Just a thought...
We're not going to call them with a hypothetical question and expect an answer. We did get the inspection report though, everything is excellent, five stars, complete wonderfulness. Service advisor wasn't concerned. Maybe the degradation will level off now and it'll be at ten bars for the next seven years.

Back