Dynamic EV Charging is coming – are you in? What do you think?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giampi

Hi everyone,

I am conducting a study on the impact of EVs charging on the electricity network, and I have a question on Dynamic EV Charging.

Dynamic Charging learns how and when you drive and ensures your car is ready to go when you need it for your daily commute, by smoothing out the peaks in electricity demand and saving everyone money on their energy bills. It sounds great for society and could reduce the cost of running your EV electricity bill ...

The theory is that most of the time, Dynamic charging is the same as standard charging. Dynamic Charging typically delays charging until the early hours of the morning and pulls electricity from the grid when fewer people are using it. However, if you need to charge your vehicle in the evenings (e.g. between 4 pm and 10 pm) you might notice that Dynamic Charging doesn’t charge your vehicle as fast during these hours.

Would you be interested in giving Dynamic Charging a go? I'm keen but would love to hear more from everyone else.

Please fill in my poll (it takes only 2 minutes to complete) to let me know what you think, check out my attached survey by clicking the link below or reply with your comments ...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc2xc1o0pDGTWWZWXfkyFbQ-g8bX9FXdYs8Kx5d1xnQG25cPA/viewform

Thanks!

Giampaolo

In California, the revenue stream for selling energy and/or capacity from cars doesn't cover what it costs in equipment to be able to export to the grid.

The idea has merit, but depends upon the local power grid situation. For me, compensation would need to be high to offset costs. I presently charge off peak at very low cost per kWh so allowing dynamic charging would increase my charging cost if the system decided to charge my car during peak power rates (unless the dynamic charging contract addresses this and offers other benefits).

Back