New Leaf ProPilot

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henryv

Nissan previews ‘ProPilot’ in the next-gen Leaf – releases first picture of the interior
Fred Lambert - Jun. 22nd 2017 1:07 pm ET @FredericLambert NISSAN LEAF NISSAN

The upcoming next generation Nissan Leaf will be the first of the Japanese automaker’s vehicles to feature its new ProPilot driver assist system outside of Japan.

Today, Nissan released a preview of the feature in a video and the first picture of the next-gen Leaf’s steering controls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJKRQtQTbQM

The automaker wrote in a press release today:

“In the coming years, Nissan’s ProPILOT technology will offer increasing levels of autonomy, with the system eventually able to navigate city intersections. Set to help make driving more secure and more enjoyable, ProPILOT Assist is part of Nissan Intelligent Mobility, the company’s blueprint for transforming how cars are driven, powered and integrated into society.”

Under its current form, ProPILOT is geared toward highway driving and it offers similar functionalities as Tesla Autopilot’s Autosteer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control features.

Here’s a new video about the feature:

Nissan started releasing teasers for the new Leaf last month – starting with the new headlights.

Now we also get our first look at the next-gen Leaf’s steering controls in an image released by the company:

Next-gen Leaf prototypes have been spotted over the past few months, while the final production version is expected in September for deliveries by the end of the year under the 2018 model year.

It is expected to feature a 60 kWh battery pack that will enable over 200 miles of range on a single charge.

The Japanese automaker will aim to compete with the Chevy Bolt EV and the Tesla Model 3 for buyers in the market for an all-electric long-range vehicle for less than $40,000.

In the meantime, the company has been heavily discounting its current all-electric Leafs, which can prove a cheap way to get into EV ownership. You can check with your local Nissan dealer for Leafs in their inventories.

Video promo for PP, shown in action in Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnke9JkPfUI

Other links and videos at:

Autonomous driving LEAF, and the implications for BEVs.

Interesting that Nissan chose to introduce ProPILOT (formerly known as piloted drive) in a relatively inexpensive mini-minivan.

I would be surprised if the Nissan gen 2 does not offer at least this level of driver-assist...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10233&start=210

Any ideas on how Japan Option Package prices compare to US Option Price packages? It looks like the new X-Trail has ProPilot in at least two packages - one for ~$1,250 (140,400 yen) and one for ~$3,150 that also includes Around View and Parking Assist.

$1,200 doesn't sound -too bad- especially if the system could be upgraded to multi-lane hightway in the future. (I'm assuming that it won't be upgradable to city...)

http://www.nissan.co.jp/SP/X-TRAIL/VLP/OPTION/option_all.html

First, let me say I'm all for Nissan developing and releasing this technology - it's been a long time coming.

However, the Leaf seems like the last choice of car to introduce it in. Both ProPilot and XM Radio seem like features appropriate for a long-range car, which the Leaf is absolutely not. (Perhaps the 2018 Leaf will change my mind, but it still won't be at the same level as ICE cars regardless in that respect).

My only thought is that Nissan might be trying to provide incentive for the general public to go EV. "Hey, check out this cool technology, don't you want it? Guess what, it's only in our environmentally-friendly cars, you should buy one!"

That would be nice if that were actually their driving motivation.

BenTheRighteous said:
However, the Leaf seems like the last choice of car to introduce it in. Both ProPilot and XM Radio seem like features appropriate for a long-range car, which the Leaf is absolutely not. (Perhaps the 2018 Leaf will change my mind, but it still won't be at the same level as ICE cars regardless in that respect).
I think it will depend on the individual driver's usage. About half of my commute is highway and about half of that can be bumper to bumper. Hopefully, ProPilot will be able to handle 25% - 45% of my daily driving...

jhm614 said:
BenTheRighteous said:
I think it will depend on the individual driver's usage. About half of my commute is highway and about half of that can be bumper to bumper. Hopefully, ProPilot will be able to handle 25% - 45% of my daily driving...

I agree with you both. It highly depends. For me, ProPilot is useless for my 5-minute suburban commute across town. But where I might want it is cruising 250 miles down the Thruway to visit family across the state. I would take a 60kWh Leaf on that trip, but not a 40kWh Leaf. Anyway, this is start.

I'm curious about future improvements. I would like to know whether Nissan is allowing for ProPilot on the 2018 Leaf to be software upgradeable in the future at all (obviously stuck with old hardware) or if their plan is to only incorporate improvements into later models of the Leaf. The latter would be business-as-usual for a legacy automaker like Nissan. The former would mean that Nissan actually learned something from Tesla...

looks like the LEAF will not be the first 2018 intro with optional ProPilot after all:

Oct 17, 2017

Nissan announces U.S. pricing for 2018 Rogue – first U.S. vehicle to offer advanced ProPILOT Assist technology

ASHVILLE, Tenn. – Nissan today announced U.S. pricing for the 2018 Rogue crossover, which goes on sale October 24 at Nissan dealers nationwide. Pricing starts at $24,6802 for the Rogue S front-wheel-drive model. Already the number one selling Nissan model throughout the 2017 model year, Rogue receives a number of significant enhancements for 2018 – led by the addition of available ProPILOT™ Assist technology, which provides assisted steering, braking and accelerating during single-lane highway driving.

ProPILOT™ Assist is the foundation for the fully autonomous vehicles of the future, helping drivers stay centered in the lane, navigate stop-and-go traffic, maintain a set vehicle speed and maintain a set distance to the vehicle ahead. And, it is all done with a simple two-button operation. ProPILOT™ Assist is available on the 2018 Rogue SL grade as part of the Platinum Package...
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-announces-u-s-pricing-for-2018-rogue-first-u-s-vehicle-to-offer-advanced-propilot-assist-technology

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-propilot-assist-technology-makes-u-s-debut-on-2018-rogue-reduces-the-hassle-of-stop-and-go-highway-driving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srsgOCyFl-E

Nissan to reveal new autonomous concept at Detroit motor show

Japanese brand releases first preview video but gives few details away...
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-detroit-motor-show/nissan-reveal-new-autonomous-concept-detroit-motor-show

Very few details, I could see...

But we have only a couple days to wait for Detroit.

Meanwhile, PPA is selling well in Japan, and I expect it will in the US also:

Nissan sells more than 75,000 vehicles equipped with ProPILOT Assist

Nissan strengthens its autonomous driving technology leadership by selling 75,000 ProPILOT Assist-equipped vehicles

Nissan has introduced ProPILOT technology in four models in Japan and the U.S., with more on the way
Nissan announced today that it reached the milestone of selling 75,000 vehicles equipped with its ProPILOT Assist autonomous driving technology (known as ProPILOT in markets outside North America).

ProPILOT embodies Nissan's commitment to making vehicles safer and more exciting to drive through its advanced technologies, part of the company's Nissan Intelligent Mobility vision for changing how cars are powered, driven and integrated into society.

"ProPILOT is a breakthrough technology and an important building block for fully autonomous vehicles under our Nissan Intelligent Mobility vision," said Nissan executive vice president Daniele Schillaci. "It delivers a much more exciting drive, so it's no surprise that it has received such strong, early customer acceptance. ProPILOT is another example of how we're delivering exciting technologies today through Nissan Intelligent Mobility that will move everyone to a better world."

Nissan's innovative ProPILOT technology enables vehicles to operate autonomously during single-lane driving on the highway, helping support safer driving and easing the driver's workload in heavy traffic or on long commutes. Employing advanced image-processing technology, ProPILOT understands road and traffic situations and executes precise steering, enabling the vehicle to perform naturally and delivering a human-like driving feel that gives passengers peace of mind.

ProPILOT is extremely user-friendly, with an intuitive interface and a switch on the steering wheel for easy activation and deactivation.

Nissan introduced ProPILOT for the first time in Japan in August 2016, in the Nissan Serena minivan. The system was made available in the updated Nissan X-Trail and the new Nissan LEAF in 2017. Nissan has sold more than 72,000 vehicles with ProPILOT in Japan.

ProPILOT Assist was recently introduced in the Nissan Rogue in the U.S. It will also be available in the new Nissan LEAF in the U.S., and in the LEAF and Qashqai in Europe.

By introducing its advanced autonomous driving technologies in key models in each market, Nissan will strengthen its global leadership and bring more safety and new vehicle value to customers...
https://newsroom.nissan-global.com/releases/release-4a75570239bf1983b1e6a41b7d024ceb-nissan-sells-more-than-75000-vehicles-equipped-with-propilot-assist

Wasn't sure where I should post this.

Someone posted this in the Seattle Leaf FB group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id8qm_AfTM0
It's 19.5 minutes and I haven't watched more than 30 seconds of it yet.
AutoNetwork
Published on Dec 12, 2017
2018 Nissan LEAF electric was introduced to invited journalists in San Francisco, CA. and Yountsville, CA 12.7-8.17. The Pro Pilot Assist features were presented by Andy Christensen, Technical Center.

The reviewer below confirms what I thought likely from a much shorter test drive.

Pro Pilot Assist is quite effective at doing what a level two semi-autonomous system system can do, and is also unlikely to give drivers the dangerously false impression that you can depend on it to do anything more.

Long-Term 2018 Nissan Leaf: Electric Autonomy—Putting Nissan’s Pro Pilot Assist to the Test

The good, the bad and the merely irritating of semi-autonomous driving

The autonomous driving experience has been, up until recently, an expensive technology reserved for luxury cars. Among others, Nissan is working to bring partial autonomous driving to lower-priced machines. Nissan’s ProPilot Assist is part of a technology package that cost just $650 on our long-term Leaf. That’s a ridiculously good deal. The Leaf’s tech package also includes automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, intelligent lane intervention, an electronic parking brake and high beam assist. ProPilot Assist is also available on the Nissan Rogue as well as Infiniti’s new QX50 crossover.

Okay, so ProPilot is cheap and available (like me when I was single) but is it any good?

... the problem with driving back to LA late in the afternoon is that you’ll hit traffic in just about every city and small town in San Diego, Orange and LA counties, and the drive on this particular day was more grueling than usual. However, ProPilot made the trek tolerable. It was a big relief to let the Nissan manage the brakes and throttle as I crawled through these traffic jams. About halfway through this three-and-a-half-hour slog, I realized that ProPilot is actually smoother at braking in traffic than I am. And battling gridlock is really one of the best uses for this or any other autonomous driving system. When it’s engaged, you’ll never have to worry about a panic stop, when the traffic speed suddenly drops to single digits—or a dead stop.

No doubt, ProPilot has some limitations. It’s certainly not a system that you can set and forget on every freeway while humming along at 70 mph. But then again, none of today’s systems should be relied upon in this way. My findings on this road trip confirmed that that perhaps the best use of the tech is in rush hour commuting. ProPilot made me way more patient during the drive and way less irritated afterwards. I’d call that a big success...
Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/long-term-2018-nissan-leaf-electric-autonomy-putting-nissans-pro-pilot-assist#ixzz5JCTTNO2Z

Is there a possibility that all vehicles with PP can have software updates to further enhance its capabilities (or just improve them)?

jdcbomb said:
Is there a possibility that all vehicles with PP can have software updates to further enhance its capabilities (or just improve them)?

I don't see why not. Some things, like "Summon," will likely never be possible, but others, like steering assist remaining active while passing turn-offs, and operating at speeds below 30MPH, may well be.

LeftieBiker said:
... remaining active while passing turn-offs, and operating at speeds below 30MPH, may well be.
Propilot doesn't work when speed drops below 30 mph? The documentation says it is capable of stop and go.

DanCar said:
LeftieBiker said:
... remaining active while passing turn-offs, and operating at speeds below 30MPH, may well be.
Propilot doesn't work when speed drops below 30 mph? The documentation says it is capable of stop and go.

Sorry, I meant steering assist, not adaptive cruise control. I'll fix that.

In regards to steering assist, I've noticed, if it was active previously, it stays active even if the car slows to almost a stop (way below 30 mph). It will stay on even if crawling in traffic. It then turns off if stopped for more than a couple seconds. It does not appear to reactivate when resuming speed, at least until it reaches past a certain speed and it redetects the lane markings.

I've compared the overall behavior of PP versus a M3 AP, and it does appear the M3 somehow is able to detect very faint lane markings better. But PP is definitely more forgiving when providing steering input and does feel more natural. Either way, if they are able to improve the PP software, that would be great, but I have not read anything indicating they would do so...yet.

In regards to steering assist, I've noticed, if it was active previously, it stays active even if the car slows to almost a stop (way below 30 mph). It will stay on even if crawling in traffic. It then turns off if stopped for more than a couple seconds. It does not appear to reactivate when resuming speed, at least until it reaches past a certain speed and it redetects the lane markings.

Huh. I'm guessing I never noticed that because I almost never drive in stop and go traffic, and never with PP on. I do know that it won't turn on below 25MPH, and I'm pretty sure it won't activate below 30MPH. Lately I've been having some trouble with it not wanting to turn steering assist on, even with dry roads. Turning the SA off and then back on, while still driving, usually fixes that.

Back