Can someone explain the battery longevity issue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveInSeattle

Everything I can find on the state of Lithium Ion batteries indicates that they degrade with age far faster than Nissan predicts for the Leaf. It is clear to me that there are some very savvy member so this forum, so can anyone explain what could possibly different with these batteries that will give them a 10 year life, something that is unheard of in any other application. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to stir anything up, and I plan on buying a Leaf.. but I'd love to understand this better. And maybe I should just lease if this can't be explained. Thanks

Different battery chemistries and construction methods, even though they often get called "L-ion" batteries ... perform substantially differently, and age quite differently.

Likely you are reading about a "different" battery chemistry. :)

But, at 10 years, these LEAF battery cells ... might be "well aged" (well past middle age). We really do not know enough about them yet.

Apparently loss of 20% to 30% of capacity over 5 years or so might be "expected".

I'm reading about the correct chemistry, "AESC is currently producing laminated lithium-ion cells using a manganese spinel cathode material (LiMn2O4)" AESC is Nissan's joint venture with NEC. Nissan is also researching Lithium nickel manganese cobalt which is said to possibly be ready for market by 2015 and will have almost twice the capacity per kg. That may be the best argument for leasing, it will either be smaller and lighter, or have increased capacity.

SteveInSeattle said:
I'm reading about the correct chemistry, "AESC is currently producing laminated lithium-ion cells using a manganese spinel cathode material (LiMn2O4)" AESC is Nissan's joint venture with NEC. Nissan is also researching Lithium nickel manganese cobalt which is said to possibly be ready for market by 2015 and will have almost twice the capacity per kg. That may be the best argument for leasing, it will either be smaller and lighter, or have increased capacity.
LiNiMnO4 are already on the street from other companies and have been for a number of years. From the changes in the data on AESC's website, including the increase in nominal voltage and voltage limits monitored by the Leaf's BMS, I'm thinking we've got these cells in our cars.

Good quality lithium will give a good 1500-2000 cycles before it degrades to around 80%. A123, Phoenix Silicon International are two in the LiFePO4 world, and E-Moli is one in the LiNiMnO world.

Here's E-Moli - 90% remaining after 1000 cycles:
http://www.molicel.com/hq/download/DM/DM_IBR26700A.pdf
molicycle.jpg

Here's PSI - still above 80% at ~1750cycles:
http://mvp090-1.104web.com.tw/cetacean/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=e40138f1
psicycle.jpg

These are both 1C charge/1C discharge to 100% 'consumer' capacity. I expect we're hitting 1.5 or 1.6C max discharge and well, well under 1C with a L2 charge. 2000 cycles to 100% consumer range on the leaf is pushing 200,000 miles of service to 80%...

2000 cycles doesn't seem like a lot, but when you point out that is 200,000 miles it's not bad if at that point it is still 80%. It's 5.5 years if it was charged and discharged full every day, which seems unlikely.

IBELEAF said:
I would be interested to know if the future battery tech could be used in current LEAF generation.
Yes. Future technologies could be easily retrofit into existing LEAFs as the motor controller only cares about the electricity it receives.

The charger would probably have to be swapped out at the same time and the battery management system (to protect overcharging and under discharging) will probably need to change too, but we probably have 8 to 10 years before we have to worry about it! :)

HIOJim said:
IBELEAF said:
I would be interested to know if the future battery tech could be used in current LEAF generation.
No.

I disagree with that. I saw a quote from Mark Perry with Nissan that it is very possible that the next generation battery could be installed in the first generation LEAF. He said that once the battery in our LEAF has lost it's capacity, we might be able to swap it out for the newer battery technology.

-Peter

Typically, firmware would need to be updated to properly handle any new-chemistry or higher-capacity battery cells.

In some cases, some hardware adjustments (or even changes) might also be necessary.

Yes, replacement packs with much improved battery cells definitely, for sure, positively, absolutely, MIGHT be available. Meaning also, maybe not, right?

garygid said:
Typically, firmware would need to be updated to properly handle any new-chemistry or higher-capacity battery cells.

In some cases, some hardware adjustments (or even changes) might also be necessary.

Yes, replacement packs with much improved battery cells definitely, for sure, positively, absolutely, MIGHT be available. Meaning also, maybe not, right?
Right, it might be possible but not economic to do so.

I have a 2006 Prius and if I wanted all the advanced goodness of the new Gen3 models would I consider doing a component-by-component upgrade to my '06? Of course not; I would just sell it and buy a 2011 model.

If we were still back in the 'bad old days' when EVs were out in the wilderness then yes, we would have to act like hobbyists and do upgrades the hard way. Hopefully, those days are gone now....

Lithium-Ion batteries can be quite durable.. they are used in many satellites where absolute reliability is a must..

12 year life in the Galileo navigation satellites, but probably longer than that:

http://spaceref.eu/news/viewpr.html?pid=20039

18 years of life in the Boeing Immersat communications satellites:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=32462

15 years of life for Orbital Sciences satellite:

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/index/display/article-display/358501/articles/military-aerospace-electronics/volume-20/issue-4/product-applications/power-electronics/orbital-sciences-chooses-eaglepicher-lithium-ion-batteries-for-french-satellite.html

Gary and HIO - I strongly suggest you're both making the upgrade challenge much larger than it is. Here's a real-world upgrade example from a production EV:

The late 90s Ford Ranger EV shipped with two different battery chemistries - 8V lead acid and NiMh. The differences between the two vehicles is very slight: The NiMh pack has fans and a computer that the lead pack does not have. The charger has two different charge profiles available - constant current/constant voltage for the lead pack and constant current for the NiMh pack. The charge profiles and voltages are set in software and can be changed by simply reflashing the computer thru the OBDII port.

Folks have been converting both varieties of these trucks to lithium iron phosphate. Some install the NiMh cell computer, others make their own wiring harness with strategically placed resistors to provide the same voltages the truck expects to see from the 8V lead acid batteries. Most of the conversion work is hardware - reconfiguring the battery box to hold the new cells and making cables to connect everything.

Please note - all of the conversions (lead to NiMh, lead and NiMh to lithium, 8V lead to 12V lead) have happened completely without the support of Ford (because there is no support from Ford for these vehicles). This is all DIY. People have purchased Ford diagnostic computers and software, acquired the different charger and BMS profiles, and learned as a community how to do this work.

The folks in the Hughes/US Electricar community have gone wall past this point - they're rebuilding inverters and chargers, and have source-code for the charger and BMS modules and can change profiles and voltages and other points as they desire.

The good news is that we don't have to do ANY of this to move to a later generation cell in the Leaf! The Leaf is already configured front to back for lithium. Upgrading to a new lithium-based cell would require little more than installing the pack and tweaking the high and low voltage points in the BMS computer if necessary. All lithium currently on the planet is charged with the same CC/CV charge profile - no change necessary. Moving from a Gen 1 LiMn or LiNiMn cell to a Gen 2 LiMn or LiNiMn cell will likely be done by simply dropping the battery box, pulling the old 'sardine cans', installing the new cans, and reinitializing the BMS so it knows we're starting with a fresh pack - and the procedure for this is already documented in the service manual.

garygid said:
If the capacity was doubled, a variety of small firmware tweaks would also be needed, but basically, pack out, pack in, and firmware reload.
I don't expect it'll be a 'variety' in the Leaf because of the way the systems are integrated. My guess is that the voltages and cell sizes are stored in the battery controller.

It's clear from the service manual that a tech can swap cells and simply tell the battery controller of the change via the OBDII port. Tell the car we've moved from a 66Ah cell to a 120Ah cell and we're done.

AndyH said:
[Good quality lithium will give a good 1500-2000 cycles before it degrades to around 80%. A123, Phoenix Silicon International are two in the LiFePO4 world, and E-Moli is one in the LiNiMnO world.
Discharge cycles and age are two different issues. He's talking about age. You can put a laptop battery on the shelf and at the end of four years it may be dead with zero cycles on it. That's why Tesla will sell you a replacement battery at the time of the sale -- you'll need it. Obviously the large format cells being used in EVs will be different. But they'll be tricky because the discharge rates will probably be well in excess of 1C but they the number of cycles may be very low.

Nissan's battery warranty suggests that it believes it cells will degrade a bit less than 5% year, assuming at most 1000 cycles and no extremely hot temperatures.

AndyH said:
garygid said:
If the capacity was doubled, a variety of small firmware tweaks would also be needed, but basically, pack out, pack in, and firmware reload.
I don't expect it'll be a 'variety' in the Leaf because of the way the systems are integrated. My guess is that the voltages and cell sizes are stored in the battery controller.

It's clear from the service manual that a tech can swap cells and simply tell the battery controller of the change via the OBDII port. Tell the car we've moved from a 66Ah cell to a 120Ah cell and we're done.

Andy,

I fully agree with you. We are not talking about a switch to super caps here. NIssan's charger is likely software driven since they can make changes and have the ability modify profiles as that is very standard these days in EV chargers. I had several profiles in my Brusa selectable via CAN or switch and even the most primitive firmware-based chargers are modifiable for similar chemistries, same for BMS. My 99 Think could do this. Besides, as fast as batteries change they would have an easy way to make adjustments for pack evolution. Without going into detail (NDA) I know that auto systems will soon be moving from "modules" and ECUs to one single computer that is updated to work on external controls and used on many platforms, eliminating the short cycle life of these parts and the need for dedicated replacements, it is evolving into the space we see in the consumer arena and this tech will be released on future generations of some EVs that are selling now. Chargers and BMS are highly configurable and can work on many models and chemistries with very diverse profiles, same for inverters.

SanDust said:
AndyH said:
[Good quality lithium will give a good 1500-2000 cycles before it degrades to around 80%. A123, Phoenix Silicon International are two in the LiFePO4 world, and E-Moli is one in the LiNiMnO world.
Discharge cycles and age are two different issues. He's talking about age. You can put a laptop battery on the shelf and at the end of four years it may be dead with zero cycles on it. That's why Tesla will sell you a replacement battery at the time of the sale -- you'll need it. Obviously the large format cells being used in EVs will be different. But they'll be tricky because the discharge rates will probably be well in excess of 1C but they the number of cycles may be very low.

Nissan's battery warranty suggests that it believes it cells will degrade a bit less than 5% year, assuming at most 1000 cycles and no extremely hot temperatures.
I agree completely that longevity has an age component and have talked about it on the forum - absolutely! But I don't think Steve is asking what happens to his battery if he leaves his car parked in the garage for 8 years. ;)

Folks with cell phone and laptop and Tesla experience are not a good source of comparison info for us for a number of reasons. One of which is that lithium cobalt (also commonly labeled lithium ion or lithium polymer) has close to the shortest cycle and calendar life in the lithium battery world. In addition, for these devices batteries are built for light weight and longer run-time - so pack life is compromised from the start. 500 cycles is a long life for a raw cell. Due to design and user abuse (many abuse the battery without knowing it), 500 cycles is little more than a dream.

Let's look at just laptops... The battery is snapped into the case next to the 'space heater' that is the CPU and video card. Strike one for the battery: too much heat. Most users leave the battery in the laptop and keep it plugged into the mains. Strike two for the battery: Lithium does not like to be constantly on charge. Strike three is the design bounds of light pack working hard.

None of this has anything to do with the Leaf. The LiMn (and very, very likely LiNiMn) cells are built for 1500-2000 cycle lives and we're keeping the pack cool and running it much more conservatively.

Caution...tedious geek stuff follows...if you have a headache or are prone to them, click another thread now...;)

The main ways to kill a cell include: Too much heat (more than 65°C damages the electrolyte; lower heat can shorten life), Charging or discharging at too high a rate (too many Amps in or out), Cell voltage too high, cell voltage too low.

The Leaf's systems monitor pack temperature (4 sensors), cell voltages, and current in and out. We cannot drive or charge the car if the pack temperature is too high or too low. We cannot drive or charge if any cell voltage is too high or low. We cannot drive or charge if current in or out is too high. The car protects us from the 'gross' killers.

Packs will degrade on the shelf. We don't know the storage degradation rate for the Leaf's pack.
Packs will degrade if charged too quickly all the time.
- L1 - about 4A into the pack (~C/20) - not a factor for over-current or overheat.
- L2 - about 9A into the pack (~C/9) - not a factor for over-current or overheat.
- L3 - about 60A-120A into the pack (~1.2-2.4C) - not a factor for over-current though greater than 1C; can be a factor for increased pack heating

Pack will degrade if discharged too quickly all the time.
- The motor/inverter is rated at 80Kw peak. Nominal pack is ~355V. Nominal inverter current might max at about 225A. Most of the time it will be much less than that - likely 40 or 50A.
- We know we have 24kWh of usable energy. There are strong indications that the pack is at least 10% and more likely 20% oversized. We know from AESC that the user capacity of each cell is 33Ah and we know that we have two cells in parallel in the pack - 66Ah. To allow for the extra capacity, each cell needs to be in the 41Ah area. Two in parallel is 82Ah. This will be our 1C number.
- Good quality LiNiMnO cells are capable of 14C surges and 3C charges, though 1C/1C gives longest life.
- Our estimated Leaf pack's 82Ah 'cell' should give the longest life if we charge/discharge at or below 82A. Our 'race car' take off that draws a full 225A is 2.7C. The more normal 50A cruise is less than 1C.

The battery's gonna degrade some if we never drive it. It's gonna degrade more if we abuse it. If we follow Nissan's instructions and keep L3 charging to a minimum, only charge to 80% if that works for us, don't keep topping-off the charge, and don't use this for racing, we'll minimize the rate of decay from 'moving violations' and get the most life from the pack we can.

AndyH said:
The battery's gonna degrade some if we never drive it. It's gonna degrade more if we abuse it. If we follow Nissan's instructions and keep L3 charging to a minimum, only charge to 80% if that works for us, don't keep topping-off the charge, and don't use this for racing, we'll minimize the rate of decay from 'moving violations' and get the most life from the pack we can.
The battery pack is warranted for 60% of capacity after 8 years. That assumes it hasn't been "abused" in the ways you're talking about, it only covers 1000 cycles, and it doesn't seem to matter much if the charging is done to 80% or 100%. A TMS might help but generally the warranty suggest that the pack will degrade by 4% to 5% a year.

That may be why Nissan has in so many words suggested that leasing is preferable to buying.

Back