Battery capacity warranty for the Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydoc

Hi all

My 2014 Leaf has 30k miles on it, and lost its first battery bar last week. I have a 34 mile daily commute (17 miles each way), so range is not much of an issue right now, except that I used to be comfortable taking it out for unplanned shopping trips after coming home. I may have to use my Prius for that from now on.

However, I bought the car used about 6 months ago, and do not have any idea if there is a warranty for the battery capacity? I searched online and found information regarding a battery replacement program that costs about $6000. Is that a program one needs to enroll in to be eligible?

Thanks

The warranty requires that you drop to 8 bars within 5 years. Given that your 2014 just lost it's first bar, you are unlikely to drop 3 more bars in 2 years. 1 bar drop happens, it was going to happen, it's just part of the battery ageing. I wouldn't worry about it and keep driving it just as you have been. If / when the battery no longer is able to provide power to get you between charges, go to your Nissan dealership and start talking about buying a replacement battery.

-Jim

kingjamez said:
The warranty requires that you drop to 8 bars within 5 years.
-Jim

The 8 capacity bar warranty also requires either within 5 years from the in-service date OR less than 60K miles on the odometer, whichever comes first. And Nissan doesn't mean 5 years and 5 hours, or 60,002 miles, if you're close you better be sure to get it to a dealer prior to the deadline / mileage limit.

I'm not 100% sure for newer model years, but there is/was also a battery defects warranty of 8 years or 100K miles. There have been a small number of LEAF owners who have had these warranty claims honored by Nissan.

2016 and onwards, larger 30Kwh batteries have 8 yrs/100,000 mile capacity warranties on them.
Older 24Kwh battery packs have 5 years/60,000 mile capacity warranty..

Back