12 bars - 2012 w/ 37K

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 6 weeks ago I purchased a 2012 Leaf. I've studied EV plenty since then, and it looks like I have more than usual battery life. After a charge, I have between 73 - 83 miles on the GOM when I start out. It always shows 12 bars after a charge. Is this more than usual?

I bought it used from CarMax.

Good for you, I'm guessing the car came from someone in a northern climate? or else someone who had very good charging habits because yes 37k miles on a '12 with full bars isn't the norm I see, sounds like you have a winner :)

Not so fast: I believe the capacity bars (CB) have been 'reset'. A few reasons:
1) A '12 bar' Leaf should register > 80 miles (even via GOM) on a full charge
2) CarMax doesn't have any QC on their EV sales (they don't even know what CB's are)
3) It is rare for any 2011/2012 Leaf to have 12 CB by this time

qualitytech123 said:
About 6 weeks ago I purchased a 2012 Leaf. I've studied EV plenty since then, and it looks like I have more than usual battery life. After a charge, I have between 73 - 83 miles on the GOM when I start out. It always shows 12 bars after a charge. Is this more than usual?

I bought it used from CarMax.
Not sure what bars your talking about.....do you mean 12 wide bars or 12 of the smaller bars to the right of the wider bars? The smaller bars don't depend on SOC, they are what they are depending on how much power the battery can hold. The wider bars depend on the SOC, fully charged battery will always show 12 bars and drop from there, the little bars are the maximum capacity the battery will hold(think of it as how many gallons of gas a ICE vehicle has) as the battery degrades it will hold less capacity.

Stanton said:
Not so fast: I believe the capacity bars (CB) have been 'reset'. A few reasons:
1) A '12 bar' Leaf should register > 80 miles (even via GOM) on a full charge
2) CarMax doesn't have any QC on their EV sales (they don't even know what CB's are)
3) It is rare for any 2011/2012 Leaf to have 12 CB by this time

I don't know. My '12 with 37k miles and 12 bars still registers over 80miles GOM. I suppose I should go find my andriod phone to run leafspy to see what the GIDS are..

Back