2016 Leaf S trim quietly updated to 30 kWh instead of 24

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

This has been referenced in other threads (e.g. battery upgrade thread) but it seems like this warrants its own thread instead of being buried there.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106593_nissan-leaf-s-quietly-gets-30-kwh-battery-upgrade-higher-price
http://insideevs.com/30-kwh-nissan-leaf-now-cheaper-as-s-gets-bigger-battery-for-32450/

From GCR
Now, however, very quietly, that turns out to have changed.
One of our colleagues spotted a Nissan order guide, dated September 26, saying that midway through the 2016 model year, Nissan had changed the battery in the base Leaf S model to 30 kwh as well.

Along with that change came a new and higher price that crossed the crucial $30,000 barrier.

We reached out to Nissan to inquire about the mid-year change, and indeed the company confirmed that it was real.

Paige Presley of the communications group at Nissan North America wrote:

We have made a running change to the 2016 Leaf S model to equip it with 30-kwh battery packs as standard equipment, offering best-in-class range across all trim levels for Leaf.

Additionally, all 2016 Leaf S vehicles equipped with the 30-kwh battery pack will also come with the Quick Charge Package as a standard feature.

The base price of the 2016 Leaf S with the 30 kWh battery and Quick Charge Package is $32,450 before any federal, state or regional incentives are applied.

Should a customer desire a 2016 Leaf S with a 24-kwh battery, they can visit [the Nissan USA website] to locate a vehicle or find a dealership that will assist.
Interesting... that should be mean that moving forward from that vehicle, all '16 Leafs should have CHAdeMO. And maybe that means the '16 S also has 6.6 kW OBC standard?

It's really curious that they're doing this towards the end of the model year instead of waiting until announcing the '17 LEAF.

It'a also curious that they are raising the price instead of holding the line.

I wonder how one will be able to easily tell if they'looking at a '16 S with the 24 or 30 kWh battery, and when will they start hitting the dealer lots?

If nothing else, this makes the S more of a contender in cold climates. Instead of a maybe-40 mile range in frigid temps, it should have more like a 50ish range. The SV and SL will still have more range in most chilly weather because of the heatpump system, but now all three will be roughly equal in subzero Fahrenheit weather...

drees said:
It's really curious that they're doing this towards the end of the model year instead of waiting until announcing the '17 LEAF.

It'a also curious that they are raising the price instead of holding the line.
Agree on both. It is rather strange. Perhaps the '16 model year might run long and until end of year or even into '17? I recall the 2012 Prius was in a weird spot where I don't think they hit dealers until either Jan or Feb 2012. In some sense, it could be like the '13 Leaf. None were available AFAIK until 2013.
drees said:
I wonder how one will be able to easily tell if they'looking at a '16 S with the 24 or 30 kWh battery, and when will they start hitting the dealer lots?
On the former, it should be relatively easy to tell from the Monroney (window) sticker, for those who know what to look for (e.g. 30 kWh instead of 24 and 107 mile range instead of 84). But w/o it, I wonder if they'll be any noticeable markings/distinguishing characteristics or will it be something obscure like a specific VIN character difference?

I right now can always spot an S due to the wheels (plastic hubcap over steel wheels) unique to that trim and the head unit.

cwerdna said:
But w/o it, I wonder if they'll be any noticeable markings/distinguishing characteristics or will it be something obscure like a specific VIN character difference?
Exactly - thinking of the used market 2+ years from now, for example.

Inventories of the '16 LEAF appear to be at very low numbers according to cars.com. Only about 1200 total across the country - 500 '16 LEAF S, 400 SV and 350 SLs on the lots. Wow, less than 25 LEAFs total on the lots here in San Diego County.

With the low inventories, it seems that they're trying to clear out stock - but that is counter to making a mid-year running change this significant. Maybe they simply stopped making the 24 kWh LEAF pack in preparation for '17? Or did they run into a problem with the 24 kWh battery production line?

Probably was not cost effective making two different batteries and supporting them on the existing production lines considering how few are made every year. Hopefully they will come to the same conclusion about replacement batteries for the 2015 and older Leafs and just put the 30 kWh batteries in them too.

The websites that sell leafs almost universally list every s on them as having 30 kW, yet somehow I think they just f'd up and we will need vin cutoffs.

A dealer I did a Leaf test drive with a couple of months ago told me the new 30 kWh S models just came in last week. I asked for a price and it was comparable to a previous quote he had given me for an SV. Is it better just to get an SV then? I saw mention of a heat pump on the SV compared to an S - does that increase the range?

coloradotim said:
A dealer I did a Leaf test drive with a couple of months ago told me the new 30 kWh S models just came in last week. I asked for a price and it was comparable to a previous quote he had given me for an SV. Is it better just to get an SV then? I saw mention of a heat pump on the SV compared to an S - does that increase the range?

The heatpump (plus resistance heater) system increases range in mild to moderately cold temps. Below about 20F it makes little difference, but at, say, 45F it makes a big one.

LeftieBiker said:
coloradotim said:

The heatpump (plus resistance heater) system increases range in mild to moderately cold temps. Below about 20F it makes little difference, but at, say, 45F it makes a big one.

I would say below 15F the difference gets small. Heat pump stops operating if colder than 5F. Anything above 35F and heat pump is SUPER efficient. At 40F normal climate draws less than 500W with comfortable cabin temperature.

So my question is... If I get a warranty battery swap next summer or fall, what are the chances that it will be a 30kWh? :D

On the other hand, what are the chances Nissan will try to tell me to pound sand because there ARE NO 24kWh battery packs to replace under warranty? :( :shock:

Its the other way around. They're keep all the 24kWh batt for warranty replacements.

Use the 30kWh batteries in sellable new product. Nissan's got this figured out. It's a win-win. Warranty claims get fulfilled in time, and new products get a bonus 30kWh battery.

Durandal said:
So my question is... If I get a warranty battery swap next summer or fall, what are the chances that it will be a 30kWh? :D

On the other hand, what are the chances Nissan will try to tell me to pound sand because there ARE NO 24kWh battery packs to replace under warranty? :( :shock:

It looks like you can tell if the car has a 30 kWh or 24 kWh battery by looking at the 4th letter in the VIN. 24 kWh cars have an A, 30 kWh cars have a B. This applies to all trim levels, it appears.

For example, this S has a 24 kWh pack:
1N4AZ0CP7GC304802

This one has a 30 kWh pack:
1N4BZ0CP7GC313228

The San Diego Mossy Nissan dealers list a number of 30kWh LEAF S on their website, but none of them have pictures, so I have to assume that the cars are in transit, still.

Durandal said:

If manufacturer is unable to repair a product it must either replace it with new identical (or better) or full refund or declare bankruptcy of the company. Law in all EU countries.
This have happened to me with Samsung smartphone. It was not possible to repair and it was out of stock (old model). I got a refund. Bought another model with better specs :)

I would continue using old pack until it is not comfortable any more or a month before warranty expires.
Probability that you get 30kWh pack in 2017 is less than 20%. EU still offers 24kWh Leafs.
They are most likely prepared for that as they have to replace quite many 24kWh packs until 2021 in US :lol:
Tesla on the other hand doesn't do that. They just install latest and greatest.

drees said:
It looks like you can tell if the car has a 30 kWh or 24 kWh battery by looking at the 4th letter in the VIN. 24 kWh cars have an A, 30 kWh cars have a B. This applies to all trim levels, it appears..

Great info, thanks. Can always know more than my local dealer by following this site.

arnis said:
Durandal said:

If manufacturer is unable to repair a product it must either replace it with new identical (or better) or full refund or declare bankruptcy of the company. Law in all EU countries.
This have happened to me with Samsung smartphone. It was not possible to repair and it was out of stock (old model). I got a refund. Bought another model with better specs :)

I would continue using old pack until it is not comfortable any more or a month before warranty expires.
Probability that you get 30kWh pack in 2017 is less than 20%. EU still offers 24kWh Leafs.
They are most likely prepared for that as they have to replace quite many 24kWh packs until 2021 in US :lol:
Tesla on the other hand doesn't do that. They just install latest and greatest.

In the US the Hybrid battery rebuilder I purchased my Leaf from explained that they are supposed to replace a defective battery with the most current technology available. If the current tech for the Leaf S is the 30kWh battery then one could make the argument that the 30kWh battery should be made available to all Leaf S owners with defective batteries.

RockyNv said:
In the US the Hybrid battery rebuilder I purchased my Leaf from explained that they are supposed to replace a defective battery with the most current technology available. If the current tech for the Leaf S is the 30kWh battery then one could make the argument that the 30kWh battery should be made available to all Leaf S owners with defective batteries.

So I decided to look up the amended settlement agreement at:
http://classaction.kccllc.net/Documents/NNK0001/2015%2003-06%20Amendment%20to%20Settlement%20Agreement%20-%20Fully%20Executed.pdf

"The replacement battery will be the 24 kWh lithium-ion battery that is currently used in the 2015 model year LEAF (or the most current model year 24 kWh lithium-ion battery at the time of replacement."

So the most recent chemistry available at 24kWh is how I would interpret this.

Back