Nissan studies quick charging with solar panels

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

Taken from: http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2009/_STORY/090819-01-e.html

NISSAN AND SHOWA SHELL START STUDIES ON JOINT DEVELOPMENT OF A QUICK CHARGING SYSTEM USING SOLAR PANELS AND LITHIUM ION BATTERIES

Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. and Showa Shell Sekiyu K. K. today announced they will start studies on joint development of a quick charging system for electric vehicles (EV) using Showa Shell's next-generation CIS solar panels and Nissan's advanced lithium ion batteries for automotive use.

This joint development will take place as part of a commissioned project for EV diffusion launched by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

A quick charging system of which both companies will consider joint development aims to have following characteristics.

Maximizing the use of solar power which is renewable energy, the system will contribute to diffusion of EV as a ultimate zero emission vehicle which emits no exhaust gas like CO2 not only in driving but also in generating electricity.

With lithium-ion batteries, power will be able to be supplied in case of power outage at the time of disaster.

Reducing influence to grid power (load leveling), the system will enable to install quick charging facilities with lower electric power capacity.

In addition, a quick charging system using the next-generation CIS solar panels and lithium ion batteries is expected to be utilized in houses and large-scale solar power plants (mega solar plants).

This is interesting... I though solar panels were slow reliable power sources, and quick charging needs a fast rush of electricity. I guess that's why they're studying it, to see if it's viable, and research new techonologies.

Maybe they'll build a Leaf with a roof / hood etc that's coveresd with solar panels? That would probably increase the range of the Nissan Leaf by a substantial amount, at least on sunny days! :cool:

Back