Rust spots on the roof

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armand

A couple of days ago I spotted what looked like a couple of tiny specs of dirt on the roof of my ocean blue 2011 SL. When I examined it closely, I was shocked to discover it was rust. In this part of California rust is unheard of. In twenty years, I have not owned a car here that developed rust. Anyone else having rust problems in California or outside the rust belt? I've owned it since new.

Yes, you need more wax to protect against that acid rain from China. ;)

Or is it the jet fuel exhaust from the airplanes?

You sure it's not yellow poop or pollen droppings from insects? I have seen that before too.

lkkms2 said:
You sure it's not yellow poop or pollen droppings from insects? I have seen that before too.

+1. I've seen "bug poop" that looks a lot like little rust spots. Without seeing pics, I suspect there's a good chance it's this. I'm originally from Cleveland, and rust never showed up as "a couple of tiny specks" :)

Try a little soapy water and fingernail action. Don't worry about "making it worse". If it really is rust, it's going to need to be sanded down to bare metal, primed and touched up anyway. But it's probably "bug poop". :)

Tree sap also sometimes looks like rust and gives the car a speckled look if you park under certain trees especially in spring time. It is hard to remove. Try scrubbing one and see if it goes away.

Armand said:
I looked again and it's rust for sure. I'll post again when the roof caves in :lol: may be I should go for a cabrio option!

Someone posted about their sunroof install on here some time back. It looked damned nice. Search on "Webasto", iirc...

Back