Tennessee reinstates $2500 rebate

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks JP.
I had not seen this.

Following is link to the posting on the TN Department of Environment and Conservation web site:

https://news.tn.gov/node/13929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now includes $1,500 rebate on plug in vehicles.

If the funding available is what was not spent out of the original $2,500,000 authorization, that means 727 people in the EV Project got the $2,500 rebate.
Which is about right based on the EV Project reports I read.

Did the new program require a new law since the original legislation was tied to the EV Project?
Or is the new program being done under Executive Branch discretionary authority?
If so why did it take two plus years to happen?

I learned at a recent Chattanooga Engineers Club meeting that Chattanooga is working on getting some public EVSE installed.
That is being funded by the TVA interstate transport of emissions settlement.

They were looking at getting commercial Blink units (which the company has a lot of apparently from the trade in program).
I advised those are a bad idea based on the problems they have had, and that the company that bought out Ecotality is pretty useless.
Certainly have done nothing to stand behind the Blink units Ecotality grossly overcharged the Federal government for and then left EV Project participants hanging with no support.

TimLee said:
Did the new program require a new law since the original legislation was tied to the EV Project?
Or is the new program being done under Executive Branch discretionary authority?

No the original program expired due to time, not because it ran out of money. So they decided to release the unclaimed funds.

JPWhite said:
TimLee said:

No the original program expired due to time, not because it ran out of money. So they decided to release the unclaimed funds.
That's great.

Here in IL they would "sweep" the unused money into, say into the governors executive compensation salary package or something similar.

JPWhite said:
Been a while since I read the legislation, but I think it specified participation in the EV Project.
When that ran out of $, no one then could get into EV Project and so could not get the rebates.

Still surprising it took so long to release the additional $ with different rules.

ej1155 said:
Does anyone know if the rebate is restricted to new vehicle purchases or leases only?
This is what the state Web site says:
Electric vehicle dealerships will be responsible for providing the rebate to consumers after such funds are received from the State. The State will rebate $2,500 on zero-emission battery electric vehicles and $1,500 on plug-in hybrid electric vehicles sold or leased (with a three-year minimum lease term) by a Tennessee dealership to Tennessee residents, after a claim is filed by the dealership.

It does not say only new, but it seems to infer new.

I would suggest you call to determine if it has to be new.
For questions or more information, e-mail Alexa Voytek, program manager at TDEC's Office of Energy Programs, at [email protected] or call (615) 532-0238.

Good for TN!!

Our governor here in IL, stopped all incentives even though the funds exist.

His actions have all but stopped the leases and sales of Leafs.

Ill sighted..

Back