DC fast chargers in Canada

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstanomir

In the Toronto area currently there are only three DC fast Chargers, one installed by Nissan, a second one installed by Mitshubishi and a third one installed by an utility company, PowerStream.
I was reading that in Japan, there are more DC fast chargers than gas stations, so Canada is ages behind. To make matters worse, the Nissan charger has been out of order since March 18th. 2015
Does anyone know if Nissan plans to install more DC fast chargers in Canada, I understand they have over 600 units operating in USA?

Not to make you feel worse, but there are 5 quick chargers in Salem, Oregon.
(And a couple more within 40 miles in various directions..)

Although, to be fair, that is our State capital so they are a bit politically motivated. ;-)

But you can tell your politicians that Salem Oregon is more forward thinking that they are..
(At least in this area.. ) ;-)

desiv

It just takes time. When I got my Leaf in Jun 2012 there were 20 240v evse's in the metro. Now there are over 100 with over a dozen DCQC.

Every once in a while things are good in the midwest:

http://www.kcpl.com/about-kcpl/media-center/2015/january/kcpl-becomes-electric-vehicle-infrastructure-leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vwDavid said:
I fear due to the slow start in Canada Chademo will be outdated and dropped before it ever really came of age...
Hmm..
Canada has that much say in world standards that Chademo might fail if Canada is slow to adopt it..

Wow. I underestimated you guys.. ;-)

desiv

There was an article I read about Nissan teaming up with Quebec, found a link here... http://news.hydroquebec.com/en/pres...ic-circuit-public-charging-network-in-quebec/

What that doesn't mention that the original one I read did is that there will be a fee. Quebec in general is way ahead of Ontario and the rest of Canada for electric cars. They are our California.

Right now in Ontario with power supplied by the province there is legislation I've heard of (not read personally) that the law says to charge for power you must be a power authority. IE no EVSE/DC fast charger anywhere in the province can charge you for power. They can only charge you to park. This makes the business model very difficult since to turn a profit they'd have to charge enough to park to recoup cost from people that are there over an hour and small enough that people who need a 10 min top up don't feel it's a rip off and head for an L2 instead. At the price of the machines it's a tough sell.

So Nissan shows they are willing to partner with someone to install more but if the above is in fact law I doubt they will find any partners.

I had read a press release a while back saying the onroute highway service stops were going to have chargers, not sure if they said what type. When I got to the website now I see no mention of it and they even have a full page on "eco". A quick search led me to the tesla forum where people were saying that part of the agreement to get the lease on them was that they would have to provide electric vehicle charging. No facts to back this up but it wouldn't surprise me if they agreed then used poor EV sales as a tactic to back out of it. The tesla people were also saying they've sent emails to onroute and never got replies.

desiv said:
vwDavid said:
I fear due to the slow start in Canada Chademo will be outdated and dropped before it ever really came of age...
Hmm..
Canada has that much say in world standards that Chademo might fail if Canada is slow to adopt it..

Wow. I underestimated you guys.. ;-)

desiv

Not sure if you are being sly or not, but my intent was not that Canada had an influence here, but moreso that we have so little Chademo, that I fear chademo will be outdated and dropped before every being implemented beyond a demo stage in Canada, thereby making chademo leafs not all that useful.

vwDavid said:
Not sure if you are being sly or not,.
Yeah, the winky smiley is just me being a bit silly.

That being said, I would think any fast chargers you get (when you finally do) will follow the industry standards.
That will likely be Chademo or Chademo&CCS Combo.

Unless the industry comes to a real standard before then.. I wouldn't bet on that, but..

desiv

desiv said:
vwDavid said:
Not sure if you are being sly or not,.
Yeah, the winky smiley is just me being a bit silly.

That being said, I would think any fast chargers you get (when you finally do) will follow the industry standards.
That will likely be Chademo or Chademo&CCS Combo.

Unless the industry comes to a real standard before then.. I wouldn't bet on that, but..

desiv
Vancouver (3), Victoria (1), Duncan(1), Nanaimo (1) all Greenlots http://greenlots.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; various others scattered around B.C.

Nova Scotia now has two quick chargers. One is located in the town of Truro and the other was launched just this morning in Halifax. These QCs are only 58 miles apart. There are lots of L2s the Province for those with lots of time.

Back