2015 Apr Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 1553 - Total 9777

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WetEV

NISSAN APRIL 2015 APRIL 2014 Monthly % chg CYTD 2015 CYTD 2014 CYTD % chg
LEAF 1,553 2,088 -25.6 5,638 7,272 -22.5

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-group-reports-april-2015-u-s-sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It appears that despite attractive Nissan incentives, sales of Leaf are much lower than last year, wonder if this is related to relatively low gasoline price or need to refresh the car?

Tesla, I think for the first time lowered prices at introduction of 70D. It may appears that they will have hard time to reach their yearly goal. This is luxury market with many repeated customers, I believe when they start selling MX, sales will go up,however if they will sell 55K that is debatable.

EdmondLeaf said:
It appears that despite attractive Nissan incentives, sales of Leaf are much lower than last year, wonder if this is related to relatively low gasoline price or need to refresh the car?
other EVs have had substantial price cuts and Soul EV has greater than 100 mile range. There was an offer for $89 Fiat 500e with no money down. Spark EV was $130 with little or no down. At work we talk about these cars are being given away for free after you consider gas savings and state rebate.

Just speaking for myself - but I have to assume that others feel likewise - it is getting long of tooth and in need of a refresh in terms of creature amenities, styling and range... I also have to imagine that the Kia, Spark and others have had an impact, as well as the upcoming 2016 Volt which many may be waiting on before making a decision.

Interesting though, how the BMW i3 sales plummeted, and the Spark sales increased appreciably...

EdmondLeaf said:

Looks like the one off extremely low leases are reducing Leaf sales. Last month it was Fiat 500e and this month it is Spark EV ($139 a month with zero down).

Most other BEVs (even Tesla!) have seen effective price cut in the last few months.

It's interesting that while Nissan lead BEV prices down in previous years, it presently doesn't seem too eager to bring prices for the entire market segment down further (given it's relative market dominance) with another price cut.

IMO, this could be because Nissan is now more concerned with the sales numbers and the profit margins of the next generation LEAF, than with Gen 1.

lorenfb said:
Check here for April;
http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Tesla doesn't look good for their 2015 guidance of 55K.

I believe the insideEVs numbers are only US deliveries. Tesla has guided 55k global deliveries of Model S and Model X. As of last reported delivery numbers at the end of Q1 they're on target to do so. We'll know more shortly after June 30th when they report Q2 deliveries.

edatoakrun said:
It's interesting that while Nissan lead BEV prices down in previous years, it presently doesn't seem too eager to bring prices for the entire market segment down further (given it's relative market dominance) with another price cut.

IMO, this could be because Nissan is now more concerned with the sales numbers and the profit margins of the next generation LEAF, than with Gen 1.

We have to be careful about the price cuts etc of compliance cars. They just want to sell x number of cars - and then they don't mind selling just a handful per month (think what Honda did with Fit EV). After the numbers for the year have been met, Fiat & Spark will go back to being < 100 in sales and withdraw the incentives.

This is not a model Nissan can follow.

mtndrew1 said:
lorenfb said:
Check here for April;

I believe the insideEVs numbers are only US deliveries. Tesla has guided 55k global deliveries of Model S and Model X. As of last reported delivery numbers at the end of Q1 they're on target to do so. We'll know more shortly after June 30th when they report Q2 deliveries.

Yes, the numbers reported are U.S. only, but U.S. is approximately 60% of worldwide (WW).
Based on the four months for U.S. (6400) and 60%, an annualized number is 32K;
WW (4 months) = 6400 / .60 = 10.7K, WW (annualized) = 10.7K X 3 = 32K. Given a 55k
guidance, Tesla needs to sell WW in eight months 55K - 11K = 44K or 5.5K per month.
This is about twice their present run rate (10.7K / 4 = 2.2K) .

"On target" (Elon speak), really?

lorenfb said:
mtndrew1 said:
lorenfb said:
Check here for April;

Yes, the numbers reported are U.S. only, but U.S. is approximately 60% of worldwide (WW).
Based on the four months for U.S. (6400) and 60%, an annualized number is 32K;
WW (4 months) = 6400 / .60 = 10.7K, WW (annualized) = 10.7K X 3 = 32K. Given a 55k
guidance, Tesla needs to sell WW in eight months 55K - 11K = 44K or 5.5K per month.
This is about twice their present run rate (10.7K / 4 = 2.2K) .

"On target" (Elon speak), really?

Tesla has announced 10,030 cars sold in the first three months of 2015 http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-q1-model-s-deliveries-2015-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so there's no need for creative math. Extrapolating just the first quarter with no Model X, no China sales, and no increase in deliveries of Model S, they would deliver 40,120 cars in 2015.

With China sales appearing to pick up steam and an entirely new product line coming online it appears they'll have no trouble moving 55,000 units as guided. Tesla will announce second quarter deliveries on or about July 3rd so then there will be half a year worth of sales to pick through in regards to being on target.

From my perspective they're not just on target, they're ahead of it.

mtndrew1 said:
Tesla has announced 10,030 cars sold in the first three months of 2015 http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-q1-model-s-deliveries-2015-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so there's no need for creative math. Extrapolating just the first quarter with no Model X, no China sales, and no increase in deliveries of Model S, they would deliver 40,120 cars in 2015.

With China sales appearing to pick up steam and an entirely new product line coming online it appears they'll have no trouble moving 55,000 units as guided. Tesla will announce second quarter deliveries on or about July 3rd so then there will be half a year worth of sales to pick through in regards to being on target.

From my perspective they're not just on target, they're ahead of it.

Using 10K WW for Q1 and U.S. of 4.7K (6.4K -1.7K) yields 47% U.S. versus WW. Using 47% and 6.4K U.S.
for four months yields 13.6K for YTD 2015 sales. Annualized (13.6K X 3) yields 41K. That's still far short
of the guidance of 55K.

"With China sales appearing to pick up steam and an entirely new product line coming online it appears they'll have no trouble moving 55,000 units as guided."

Try and avoid reading too many "analysts' reports which tend to 'pump' the stock!

"From my perspective they're not just on target, they're ahead of it."

Really? Please provide more insight into your "perspective" or feelings.

Back