Illinois Governor pulls the plug on EV rebates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

No longer any 10%, (up to $4,000,) cash rebate for "going the extra mile" for buying an electric car in Illinois.

Also no longer a 50%, (up to $1,250.) cost sharing should one choose to have installed an EV charging station installed on one's premises.

My grandchild was not happy about this..asking "What kind of a world are you leaving me?"

Attachments

• images-24.jpeg
    images-24.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 198
TomT said:
Well, between that and the "Religious Freedom" law he just signed, there may not be that many EV customers left in IL anyway...
I believe you are referring to Indiana, although it is possible there is a similar law in Illinois that I am not aware of.

Opps, my bad... I need to read more carefully! :)

Stoaty said:
TomT said:
Well, between that and the "Religious Freedom" law he just signed, there may not be that many EV customers left in IL anyway...
I believe you are referring to Indiana, although it is possible there is a similar law in Illinois that I am not aware of.

All of the incentives will fade away. It's a sign of health for EVs as a whole. I don't ascribe to the notion that electrical vehicle produciton is a fragile seedling that can't possibly survive without prolonged support measures. I think we're already past that and accelerating. The infrastructure needs some work, and it will get it. Not because it's necessary to encourage EV ownership, but because a growing critical mass of EV owners will demand it.

Stoaty said:
TomT said:
But speaking of Indiana, I'm just fascinated that the French Bolloré "Group" selected Indianapolis as the first U.S. city in which to try their EV car-sharing program (click). So there may eventually be a lot of EV drivers/converts in Indiana after all, or at least in its capital. I'm guessing it is a city in a state, if you know what I mean ;-) .

Nubo said:
All of the incentives will fade away. It's a sign of health for EVs as a whole. I don't ascribe to the notion that electrical vehicle produciton is a fragile seedling that can't possibly survive without prolonged support measures. I think we're already past that and accelerating. The infrastructure needs some work, and it will get it. Not because it's necessary to encourage EV ownership, but because a growing critical mass of EV owners will demand it.
California is a state within the " A Not very United States." if you get what I mean!! ;)

greengate said:
California is a state within the " A Not very United States." if you get what I mean!! ;)

I'm saying the success of EVs is already guaranteed and will transcend the political bickering.

The car 'rebate' was from Illinois EPA, and IL dealers factor that value in to the cost of the car. Hence, I went to Iowa to buy mine for a little lower price sans rebate and didn't have to hassle with paperwork and wait up to a year for the check. Lower principal on the loan, so I saved money. Sometimes the government isn't really here to help you. It always pays to do your homework before investing in anything.
I think the rebate is a good thing, mind you. But only if you don't get swindled out of it at the salesman's desk. I had a similar experience with solar install rebate, where the rebate didn't quite cover all the cost of a 'certified solar installer' versus just an electrician.

joewaters said:
The car 'rebate' was from Illinois EPA, and IL dealers factor that value in to the cost of the car. Hence, I went to Iowa to buy mine for a little lower price sans rebate and didn't have to hassle with paperwork and wait up to a year for the check. Lower principal on the loan, so I saved money. Sometimes the government isn't really here to help you. It always pays to do your homework before investing in anything.
I think the rebate is a good thing, mind you. But only if you don't get swindled out of it at the salesman's desk. I had a similar experience with solar install rebate, where the rebate didn't quite cover all the cost of a 'certified solar installer' versus just an electrician.

Not quite true ... all you get from the dealer is the IL bill of sale and the Monroney MSRP sticker from which the IL EPA 'cash rebate' was determined; the IL EPA just wants to see that you bought it in-state from an IL dealer, regardless of the price you negotiated (for instance we had a trade-in on our '12) reducing the out-the-door price; the rebate (gone now, as all this thread laments on) was up to $4K or 10% of MSRP whichever is less; on our '12 the MSRP was $37,250 so the check was for $3,725; getting the check has nothing really at all to do with the dealer as when it was funded did NOT cover leases, just straight out purchases and was based on MSRP, not purchase price. Now that the car has been out a few years and different lower priced series, etc. are available the rebate of course was reduced with the lower MSRP's but has now gone away like other programs that IL can no longer afford. Also, most did not have to wait a year (even in the early days) but it was between 90 and about 180 days from when you submitted the paperwork ... once again, moot point for now, it's dead. It ALWAYS pays to shop around regardless so kudos if IA gave you a deal

Nubo said:

Yea, but it could still easily be crushed by punitive measures like the enhanced EV registrations equivalent to driving a 4 mpg vehicle in terms of gas tax, states banning sales outright (Tesla), and any other number of laws that are on the way.

Wouldn't be surprised if we'll see some states banning EVs outright from being driven, just like how civil/female rights are being eroded and reversed in several states of a particular political coloring.

i didn't know that the Georgia credit of $5000 has been replaced with a $200 Tax.. .wow

http://www.torquenews.com/3574/will-georgia-ev-tax-hurt-tesla-model-s-sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DuncanCunningham said:
i didn't know that the Georgia credit of $5000 has been replaced with a $200 Tax.. .wow

http://www.torquenews.com/3574/will-georgia-ev-tax-hurt-tesla-model-s-sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bill that gave Georgia a $200 annual EV tax also had a 20% increase in effective gas tax and also indexed the gas tax to both inflation and increasing fuel efficiency and also had an issue of bonds (all for funding roads)

In short all motorists (and tax payers) in Georgia have to pay more for roads, because they were not paying enough for upkeep.

Yeah it sucks, but reality is that someone has to pay for roads, and they still kicked the can down the road with that bond raise.

The reason for the $200 per EV fee seems fairly empty to me, I suspect its closer to a poll tax based on road cost per active vehicle, than any reasonable average miles x lost fuel tax would indicate.

Aside from the fact that "gas taxes" need to be rethought and reworked at both the national and state level, I think that an argument can be made for EV drivers to pay a little less (say per ton-mile) than petroleum/ICE drivers. Why? Because there is a non-trivial value to having all of the money spent on 'fuel' stay in the state and/or country. Maybe I should start a separate thread on this topic since it is "bigger" than just IL, but 1.) does anyone disagree that EVs should pay a little less? and 2.) How should a new equitable road tax be structured and collected?

mbender said:
1.) does anyone disagree that EVs should pay a little less? and 2.) How should a new equitable road tax be structured and collected?
I'm a little naive but I think that all taxes are messing about with the real balance of things. Stop Oil companies getting tax breaks and subs, because they do get them, just charge each car for access to the road, but some will say "if you use it less, you should pay less" I think that is a valid point too. I always hated being taxed on ownership rather than usage. But I don't want my home electric bill to go up if they know I'm charging my car there and want to tax me on usage that way. Not sure on what the real solution is. Too many times the taxes system is used to push one industry over another. I wonder what the real cost of Oil (thus gasoline delivered to pumping stations) would be without any of those tax games?

mbender said:
1.) does anyone disagree that EVs should pay a little less? and 2.) How should a new equitable road tax be structured and collected?
Well, I do (a little). Its all weight and use. Gross vehicle weight by miles driven reported annually to renew plates (something done in every state). Sure, some of those miles will be driven out of state (whatever) it will all likely balance out and heavy users (literally) pay more as they use more. Some will try to cheat on the miles (there are always cheaters) make the fines when caught (when vehicle sold or wrecked etc.) enough to keep most people honest. Does not matter how its powered: use the road -- pay for the road.

Back