2015 Jan Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 1070 - Total 5924

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaf 2,536

Volt 1,231

I think the 2016 Volt release will kill sales of 2014 and 2015 models. People can wait 7 months and get a cheaper better range version. Unless they have a firesale.

Ian B

dm33 said:
When do they release sales numbers? Apparently not February 2nd.
Per ievs.com:
JANUARY 2015 CAR SALES will be reported On Tuesday, February 3rd, 2015, beginning at 9:45 AM (eastern) with GM and Nissan’s report - others to follow throughout the day…as always, Ford will be taking their sweet time and reporting on Wednesday, February 4th, 2015

https://insideevs.com/january-2015-plug-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uggh!!

LEAF: 1070
Volt: 542

...“We saw a significant increase in demand in December from Nissan LEAF customers looking to take advantage of federal and state incentives at the end of the tax year, which pulled some sales ahead. We’re confident that EV sales will continue to rise over time due to increasing emission regulations and other reasons for purchase of EVs such as lower operating costs, reducing dependence on foreign energy sources, environmental concerns and a great driving experience.” - Brendan Jones, director, Nissan Electric Vehicle Sales and Infrastructure...
http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-sales-fall-in-january-2015-for-first-time-in-2-years-in-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With actual home charging marginal costs for most Americans varying between ~5 and ~25 cents per kWh, ~$2-a-gallon gas is actually cheaper than Electricity for many American drivers.

Yes, gas prices matter.

It will be interesting to see if Nissan decides to try to maintain higher sales levels by cutting LEAF prices even further, or accepts lower monthly sales, for however long this cheap gas interval lasts.

edatoakrun said:
gas is actually cheaper than Electricity for many American drivers.

I suppose that depends on how you define "many."
I suppose "many" American drivers drive cars that get below 20 MPG too....
If you consider the extreme on one side, you need to compare it to the extreme on the other as well..

desiv

How much gas prices affect EV sales seems to be a matter of much debate.

What I wonder about is the charging industry. Their prices were already exorbitant (here in OR, now that Blink has switched to per-Kwh pricing and AV costs $7.50 per QC unless you use it enough to pay $20/month, which I don't, means you are paying almost 10X vs residential rates.) The cost benefit of quick charging was already dubious, but now with gas at $1.90/gallon around here it's a complete joke, especially compared to a high-mpg vehicle.

The big three saw a significant January sales jump:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chrysler-sales-jump-in-january-1422968401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ObjetDart said:
The cost benefit of quick charging was already dubious, but now with gas at $1.90/gallon around here it's a complete joke, especially compared to a high-mpg vehicle.
I agree. (Although I have the Aerovironment monthly package; which I use a LOT (I'm a terrible case for an EV.. ;-) )

It's a tricky proposition...
I'm not sure there is a "business model" for charging stations by themselves.
I appreciate that they need money for infrastructure, power (which is frequently during PEAK times), etc...

But at $7 a charge, on a car that gets abot 70 miles, that's 10 miles per dollar.
My Subaru beats that now that gas is under/at $2.

Maybe that's fine, as people in that situation will choose only to charge there when they have to, but the problem with that is that most people don't "have" to do that...
And if you price it that high, people won't use it..
And very few customers sounds bad to me for a business model...

Perhaps charging stations as a business will only really work when subsidised??
To bring in business? With help from the Power companies? From the Govt (we're here to help!)?
And especially, if when they come out with cars with a longer range and people less and less HAVE to charge while out...

Yeah, I can see expensive highway charging still being viable, but in town when you don't need to??? How often will people do that?

That said, I still am not convinced fluctuating gas prices are a significant reason people buy or don't buy EVs.
Those that are concerned about gas prices probably think it's likely they will go back up at some time...

Now, people thinking a "newer Leaf with more range" is only a release or 2 away.. I think that could hurt sales...

Also, just wondering.. When was the last time someone saw a commercial for the Leaf? (A commercial on youtube would count, but not if you went searching for Leaf Commercials.. ;-) )

desiv

TomT said:
The big three saw a significant January sales jump:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chrysler-sales-jump-in-january-1422968401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As did Nissan overall, just not in LEAF sales...

...Nissan Motor Co. recently launched new crossovers and SUVs that has helped it overtake Honda Motor Co. for fifth place in the sales pecking order, edging its Japanese rival out by sales of less than 2,000 vehicles last month. Its total sales were up 15% to 104,107 vehicles...

Just say what is really there.. the MS outsold the Leaf..

According to InsideEV, Tesla sold 1,100 Model S in January, as compared to 1,070 Leafs sold by Nissan. The additional sales are not really significant, but it is still surprising for many that Tesla has managed to attain more sales in the US by selling a premium EV targeted at a niche segment. Model S has a starting price of $71,000, while the new dual motor-powered version of the vehicle, called P85D, has a base price of above $100,000.

I think Nissan is going to have a hard time with the rep they have, history, etc and the lowering cost of used MS's out there.
498cc17abedcc8365db82e4cd9cb2c92.jpg

JasonA said:

According to InsideEV, Tesla sold 1,100 Model S in January, as compared to 1,070 Leafs sold by Nissan. The additional sales are not really significant, but it is still surprising for many that Tesla has managed to attain more sales in the US by selling a premium EV targeted at a niche segment. Model S has a starting price of $71,000, while the new dual motor-powered version of the vehicle, called P85D, has a base price of above $100,000.

I think Nissan is going to have a hard time with the rep they have, history, etc and the lowering cost of used MS's out there.

Still not a 'bright picture' for Tesla since they will have done 2.5-3K/month average (per '14 "guidance')
in next week's annual report, i.e. China fell way short and not much better for Europe. The key, though,
is the 2015 "guidance" of 50-60K units including the X (???), which is a 'big nut'. Presently, 70-80% of
Tesla units are domestic.

lorenfb said:
Still not a 'bright picture' for Tesla
:lol:

Yeah.. alot of people have said that :roll:

They also have said the same about Solar City and SpaceX :?

Reminds me whenever a new so called EV comes out it's the "Tesla Killer"

Haters Gonna hate.

JasonA said:
Hmm ... I wouldn't go as far as that - given that the S number is guess with a bit of variation. It could be 1k or 900 or 1.2k - we don't know that well. And Tesla won't say.

evnow said:
JasonA said:
Hmm ... I wouldn't go as far as that - given that the S number is guess with a bit of variation. It could be 1k or 900 or 1.2k - we don't know that well. And Tesla won't say.
To be fair to Tesla, if I were only going to sell around 1000 cars, I'd rather those cars sell for $100,000 each rather than $30,000. ;-)

That said, they are VERY different cars for very different markets and the comparisons are (IMHO) kind of silly..

When my Olive Garden breadsticks aren't as fresh as I'd like, I don't say "Hey, Tavern on the Green wouldn't do that!!!"..
;-)

desiv
(To be fair to the establishments above, haven't been to an OG in ages and never to TotG, I just remember it from a coffe commercial..)

Back