So, what, EZ Charge doesn't work right on the Blink network?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricMonkey

I'm looking at my "bill" online at Blink. They charged me alright, despite claims that EZ Charge gives you 1 hour of free charging on the level 2 and 1/2 hour of free charging on the level 3 (but that's a different issue that I'm trying to resolve with the good folks at EZ Charge). Anyway, Blink claims that in the state of California, starting Sept 2nd, they've moved over to a kWh pricing plan. Interestingly, all of my charges using my EZ Charge card since Sept 2nd have been billed at their original, "guest rate", not based on the kWh pricing plan, and not even based on their membership rate. So, not only has EZ Charge not gotten me my freebie, but I'm still being billed on the pre-Sept 2nd plan, and I'm being billed as a guest, which is twice the rate of the old Blink billing plan if you were an ordinary member.

Do I take this up with Blink? EZ Charge? Nissan? Or should I just call the lawyers at my legal services plan and have them drag all 3 into court and figure out what's going on? Frustrating!

Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone had a trouble free EZ Charge experience? Anyone at all?

You preempted my complaint about Blink and EZ-Charge, albeit with a different and more "real" one.

My issue is that only some Blink chargers are in the EZ program, and even the Blink phone reps cannot tell which are and which aren't! I guess this is related to your problem/question, as you were probably charged for using chargers that are not part of the program. Aaaaaaargh!

I haven't tried the EZ card at Blinks yet, but did call in advance to confirm that the card would work and that I wouldn't be billed. It took a long time for the rep to determine whether a specific, nearby DCQC was or was not in the program, and in the end it wasn't. He then said that he had no quick way of determining this, and that in general, Blinks on private property would not be and those on public property would be. That general rule though was immediately 'falsified' when I had him check a public one that I am aware of, and it was also not in the program.

So, it looks like one more strike against Blink and EZ-Charge, I'm afraid. Hopefully they can get it straightened out and make as many chargers part of the program, SOON. The EZ-Charge program was a big selling point to me (and others, I suspect) in making the decision to re-lease, and I feel that getting it up and running "as advertised" should be a high priority for all parties involved... No?

mbender said:
My issue is that only some Blink chargers are in the EZ program, and even the Blink phone reps cannot tell which are and which aren't!

It took a long time for the rep to determine whether a specific, nearby DCQC was or was not in the program, and in the end it wasn't. He then said that he had no quick way of determining this...
:?: Did either of you look here? :?:

https://www.ez-charge.com/stations/

Ya, I looked at the map. That's how I found the charger. They are listed as being in the program. The issue is that the billing address that Blink is using in my account does not match what's on the map, or any map for that matter. Blink billed me for an address 2 blocks away, that doesn't even have a charger. The map and the name of the building that appears on my bill both match with the charger I used, just not the address that I was billed for. Unfortunately, the fact that the EZ Charge map shows this specifically named building and address as a participant in the program, and the fact that the location for which I was billed does not actually have a charger at all was of little use with the Blink customer service folks. So, I called back EZ Charge and told them the situation. Again, they were extremely helpful and polite. I'm really starting to like the EZ Charge customer service folks, despite my issues with using this program. The rep took careful notes, screen shots of various maps, etc. She is going to file an issue and hopefully work it out with the Blink folks. At the very least, I hope that they will fix the map. EZ Charge should be able to do that themselves. At most, maybe they'll refund me for these charges. And maybe, just maybe, the charger that is advertised as being a participant in the EZ Charge program will actually get fixed so that it is a participant in the program.

One more thing worth noting. Apparently EZ Charge plays much nicer with NRG eVgo. That's what they implied on the phone anyway.

as always, blink is just a bit slow. saw a post this morning on FB of someone who was charging at a Blink and the display did advise the first 30 mins were free then 49 cents per minute afterwards

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204593504625888&set=gm.831875410177231&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ElectricMonkey said:
Ya, I looked at the map.

One more thing worth noting. Apparently EZ Charge plays much nicer with NRG eVgo. That's what they implied on the phone anyway.
I looked at the map too, and found it wanting. Aside from not working (or even appearing) on my Android phone, a specific quick charger that I know to be in the program and and accepts the EZ card does not appear(, still) even on a device/laptop which can render the map. So basically, even if the map is kept mostly well up to date, what I learned was that it isn't fully trustworthy or useful when "mobile".

As for EZ Charge playing nicer with NRG eVgo, that wouldn't surprise me because, if I'm not mistaken, they are administering the program. I think that had a lot to do with why ChargePoint withdrew from the free-charging part. eVgo was going to have access to their activity data, etc. Even now, when you call or contact EZ Charge, I believe you are just being connected to a department within NRG HQ, in Houston.

mbender said:
ElectricMonkey said:
Ya, I looked at the map.

I looked at the map too, and found it wanting. Aside from not working (or even appearing) on my Android phone, a specific quick charger that I know to be in the program and and accepts the EZ card does not appear(, still) even on a device/laptop which can render the map. So basically, even if the map is kept mostly well up to date, what I learned was that it isn't fully trustworthy or useful when "mobile".

As for EZ Charge playing nicer with NRG eVgo, that wouldn't surprise me because, if I'm not mistaken, they are administering the program. I think that had a lot to do with why ChargePoint withdrew from the free-charging part. eVgo was going to have access to their activity data, etc. Even now, when you call or contact EZ Charge, I believe you are just being connected to a department within NRG HQ, in Houston.

well it would appear that all participating companies with the possible exception of eVgo is on a station by station basis. IOW, not all blinks are in the program

I am new to Leaf, just registered EZ-Charge, and though EZ charge, I registered both eVgo and Blink, input credit card information.
I haven't used any charger station so far.

However I feel fishy on both EZ-charge and eVgo websites, only Blink website looks normal.

EZ-Charge: registered and got email. When I access back to EZcharge website, I can log in, but nothing on my account information. It just has link let me register those other partners (Blink, eVgo etc), as if I am first time to this website. I cannot find which of them I have already registered though EZ-charge.

eVgo web site: Never received email confirmation. I cannot even find login page to access my account.

Blink: looks normal, can find my account info, billing info, address etc.
But now that so much messed information on their charge stations, I wonder which one is really in "no charge to charge" coverage. Anybody know if Santa Clara Library station near Homestead and San Tomas Expy is really working one for"no charge to charge"?

Is this normal for EZ-charge and eVgo websites? anybody has same register experience as me?

mbender said:

min68 said:
eVgo web site: Never received email confirmation. I cannot even find login page to access my account.

Is this normal for EZ-charge and eVgo websites? anybody has same register experience as me?

I confirmed with the local EZ-Charge rep, who works for NRG eVgo, that they don't have an account portal for users, but you can confirm with them on the phone that your account is "good to go". Just call the CS # on your EZ Charge card. I have used multiple eVgo chargers without any problem - and with no charges.

So, EZ Charge took careful notes on my issue and said, again, they'd take it up with Blink. Again, a week and a half went by, and again, I got contacted, via email, by a rep at NRG eVgo, asking the same question as last time, which is, "who is debiting your account?" and telling me to "contact them" instead. This is weird. I'm under the working assumption now that NRG eVgo is the semi-administrator for the EZ Charge program, because the issue keeps getting forwarded to them, but when their "operations" people get it, they keep acting confused. Apparently they don't know their role.

Blink won't blink. First they claimed the charger was in Tennessee. What? I've never even been to Tennessee! Then they claimed that the reason I was charged is that I used a charger at a different address. I asked them to look at a map. There is no charger at the address I was billed for. The rep looked at a map and insisted that there is a charger there, and that I used it. There is not! I've driven by there 10 times now, looking around. None! I'm so pissed at them. This is nothing short of fraud, and if it wasn't for Blink's policy of turning off your charge card if you dispute a charge with them through your credit card company, I'd be calling my credit card company. I'm tempted to call my legal services plan people, just out of principle.

Regardless, since I can't get anyone to fix the EZ Charge map, I posted a warning about it on plugshare, and as I did, I noticed another user had posted a less specific warning saying basically the same thing. Class action?

When we finally get a charge station at work, I really hope it's not a Blink station.

Blink finally blinked :shock:

They credited my account, and emailed that they're going to fix that charger to actually be on the EZ Charge program, as advertised. I guess I made enough noise. :cool:

Back