Up to $5,000 available for your new LEAF (San Francisco)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Center4Energy

Up to $5,000 available for your new LEAF (San Francisco)

If you are interested in applying for this rebate and want to learn more about electric vehicles, please come to the Electric Vehicle Workshop on November 23 from 2:00 to 4:00 at the San Francisco Ferry Building.

Please note that attendance to this workshop is not required to receive the rebate. However, it will be a great way to learn more about the incentives, infrastructure and technology around these vehicles.

What is it: This workshop is targeted to individuals or fleets interested in taking advantage of the $5000 rebate available through California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Project. Throughout the session, participants will learn more about the program including, how to register for the rebate, what vehicles are eligible and important upcoming dates. In addition to the Rebate Project, CCSE will be partnering with representatives from PG&E to give you a better understanding of the impact these new vehicles will have on the grid as well as your energy bill. Participants will also hear from GE about the upcoming WattStation http://www.geindustrial.com/products/st ... ttStation/, hitting the streets in the next year and Better Place (http://www.betterplace.com/) about thier battery switching technology as well as thier exciting new EV taxi demonstration project in San Francisco and San Jose.

When is it: November 23 from 2.00-4.00pm

Where is it: San Francisco Ferry Building, 1 Ferry Building San Francisco, CA 94111

How do I Register: Visit http://www.energycenter.org/cvrp-events , click on the workshop schedule for November 23, 2010

If you have any questions or need any additional information please feel free to email or call David Almeida at 952-200-6247 or [email protected].

The California Center for Sustainable Energy (CCSE), a San Diego-based non-profit, administers the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project. Over the next three months, CCSE will be conducting workshops throughout the State in order to promote the Project and to educate consumers on electric vehicle technologies, new electric vehicle charging infrastructure being built across the State, and important consumer information regarding electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.

garygid said:
So, to pay for people, transportation, and facilities, each meeting uses up perhaps 4 LEAFs worth of Rebate money?

Garygid,

First off let me dispel any idea that these workshops come anywhere close to the amount of 4 Nissan LEAF rebates.

In fact, we have been working with several stakeholders across the state to deliver these workshops on a marginal cost to the program. For example, in San Francisco we are working with the San Francisco Department of the Environment as well as the Business Council on Climate Change to reduce the overall cost of this workshop. It is through these strong partnerships that we are able to offer consumers this valuable experience at a minimal expense to our adminstrative budget. Also let me emphasize that our staff is extremely sensitive to our overall administrative budget, which I might add is fairly modest for the size of the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project.

With all of that being said I want to thank you for asking this question and allowing us to clear up any misguided ideas. I also encourage you as well as anyone else that is interested in discussing this further to give me a call, 952-200-6247.

Best,

David

David,
Thanks for addressing my question.
Sorry I asked it so "dramatically".
Please keep up the great work.

For those who cannot attend a workshop, getting the "helpful meat" (including questions and answers) of each meeting on-line would benefit many hundreds of folks.

Thanks Again, Gary

I also think that these workshops are a waste of money. Considering how small the rebate pot is, a big population of drivers doesn't need to be educated. Putting up a CLEAR website with detailed instructions and rules to follow - that would be a TREMENDOUS cost savings.

Maybe "rebate workshop" just isn't the right name for it?

Most of the value in attending isn't "learning how to get the rebate", but the combination of speakers from local Utility, public charger rollout, car manuf, etc. Nothing wrong with a mini-conference for future EV owners. It can be hard to draw the utilities out into speaking and answering questions. These things don't happen by themselves.

But the essential information for getting a Rebate is already on-line. It could be shored up a bit, but I expect every EV Dealer to be educated in this regard and assist their customers who need help filing.

Most of the confusion today seems to surround the Utility processes and plans for residential EV wiring/billing. The rebate part seems like the easy/obvious step.

Yes indeed, the State, local Utility, and City rates, rules, and regulations, along with neighborhood and individual situations ... make it really DIFFICULT to decide what to do.

With a low-capacity Service and Panel, even without adding the complications of PV generation, the solutions can be quite expensive (trenching, new service panel, etc.), and non-trivial for even an electrician to know what will be approved.

I whole-heartedly support David's response. Having attended this workshop in Sacramento on 11/10/10 (which was done in Air Quality Board office without any obvious overhead charges), I can certainly testify that the quality of talk is worth attending. Local utilities, EVSE manufaturers are there to answer many questions.

If one attends the workshop, you could certainly ask the question about where these funds for rebate would be coming. After finding out, no one would doubt the credibility of these programs.

As a side note, I was able to see some people who had EV1 experience. I also met the person who has been helping an iPhone application EV Charger finder.

In fact the forum members may help this organization by promoting it.

I would certainly thank David and his colleagues for these efforts.

Harvinder

I attended this workshop and found it very interesting and useful. I guess there were at least 50 people attending, most from SF, and most had reserved or ordered a LEAF according to polls done by hand-raising, so I am a little surprised no-one has posted anything here about it yet.
Some take-aways:
-Enough in the CVRP fund now for about 1,600 EVs at $5,000 rebate each.
-BAAQMD will launch an incentive project for home L2 EVSEs in the spring, hopefully by Feb (Bay Area residents). Those who have already installed one will not be eligible, unclear about those who bought EV but not yet EVSE, and the level of incentive. They also plan to have over 400 L2 and 26 L3 in service in the Bay Area by end of 2011.
-PG&E is planning to make their TOU EV rates non-tiered! I missed the details here, but this is not finalized anyway. Maybe someone else can provide more details?
-GEs Wattstation L2 EVSE for home use will cost about $1,000 and be available in Feb. Will be sold in Home Depot and similar places, and quotes from installers will be available via Servicemagic.

GroundLoop said:
Harv said:
As a side note, I was able to see some people who had EV1 experience. I also met the person who has been helping an iPhone application EV Charger finder.
Oh cool. Maybe they'll add J1772 chargers to the app. :)
]

I believe all the old stations are being upgraded so if you have Leaf the app is not really of value when CARWINGS should be updated to include these. If they do all the upgrades they will be listed since there are so many out there. The existing stations are in poor shape, at least in the Bay Area.

Andy said:
I attended this workshop and found it very interesting and useful.
Some take-aways:
-Enough in the CVRP fund now for about 1,600 EVs at $5,000 rebate each.
That means they are already counting the additional $5m not yet shown on the CCSE/CVRP status page :D

EVDRIVER said:
GroundLoop said:
Harv said:
Oh cool. Maybe they'll add J1772 chargers to the app. :)
]

I believe all the old stations are being upgraded so if you have Leaf the app is not really of value when CARWINGS should be updated to include these. If they do all the upgrades they will be listed since there are so many out there. The existing stations are in poor shape, at least in the Bay Area.

The place where I work has 2 EV dedicated parking slots with the charging stations. These are perfectly fine as the hospital has 2 small vehicles to help the patients. I am trying to get these two charging stations upgraded. I agree with you that hopefully all the previous charging stations would be upgraded with J1772 connectors.

Andy said:
-PG&E is planning to make their TOU EV rates non-tiered! I missed the details here, but this is not finalized anyway. Maybe someone else can provide more details?
Sounds like they might be talking about the E9B rate when only the car is on the E9 meter not the entire house as is the case with E9A. I am very interested to hear more about this since I am on the E9A rate already and looking into adding a electric solar array to offset the energy used by the charging the Leaf.

1051 said:
David,

Do you have any dates for Orange County and Los Angeles yet?

Thanks!

We do indeed have dates and times for Los Angeles. I am still working on securing times and locations for Orange County.

With respect to Los Angeles, see the workshop details below. I will be posting something on this forum later today and will have both of the dates on our website this afternoon. However I thought you all might want a sneak peak.

(Close to Downtown)
Wednesday, December 15
6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
LA Metro Building
One Gateway Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90012

(Close to Pamona)
Thursday, December 16
6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
South Coast AQMD
21865 Copley Drive
Diamond Bar, CA 91765

The northern (biggest) part of Orange Co. is SCE, but the southern part (south of Alicia Parkway) is SDG&E, which has totally different rates and rules.

Hopefully at least one meeting will deal with SDG&E issues.

I guess I need to visit my local (Laguna Hills) Building Permit department and see if they have heard of EVs and EVSEs.

Please continue your good work.

Back