Charging At Nissan Dealers.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andolyn

Howdy I was at nissan dealer today and the sales folks told me that the regular charging station at the nissan dealers is free for all Ev's but the QC is only free from the dealer the car was purchased at. It you didnt purchase the car at that dealer it would be $6? Anybody else heard this? M ;) eaning if i bought the leaf at Irvine Nissan, QC would be free for me at this dealer but if i went to tustin Nissan and wanted to use their QC it would be 6$ because I did not purchase the card fro them?
:roll: :cry:

pkulak said:
Well, they can do whatever they like.
Yep. Unfortunately, in the US, automakers can't own dealerships due to franchise laws. Google for tesla franchise laws dealers.

Before the "no charge to charge" program started, http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was going on.

My understanding is that as independent dealers they can set their own policies. Of course this really isn't going to help Nissan USA much. Inconsistent policies (some available only during business hours, others charging, many just not working..) sure isn't going to help enlarge their market is it?

That's where Tesla certainly has the advantage - they own/control/place all their superchargers and have a unified policy. Even if they ever started charging to use them (I expect that may happen with the Model 3) at least I would anticipate a consistent policy.

cwerdna said:
pkulak said:
Well, they can do whatever they like.
Yep. Unfortunately, in the US, automakers can't own dealerships due to franchise laws. Google for tesla franchise laws dealers.

Before the "no charge to charge" program started, http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was going on.

Incorrect, although this is splitting hairs, it is an important distinction.

Almost all the states have state laws that prevent auto manufacturers from competing against their own franchises/dealers.
They do not prevent a manufacturer from selling directly unless they have franchises.

In addition, these vary state by state, the US has no such federal law.

Andolyn said:
Hey Apvbguy
I posted that question with Nissan USA this morning. When and if i get a response ill post it up
like any franchisee, dealerships should be forced to hold certain levels of services in order to remain an authorized franchise. if Nissan USA says that they need to offer unfettered charging at their dealerships and then they turn around and demand fees for charging Nissan can and should put a stop to the practice

It's unlikely the stations were paid for by the dealer. I'm curious to know if Nissan has some requirements to keep stations that they fund free for a particular period of time.

I don't know what the policy is, but I live in the North San Diego County area, and with both Nissan dealers that I've visited you would be charged for use of the quick charger if it were not for the "EZ Charge" free charging card that comes with the car. And, with both of them, the level 2 chargers are still free. The salesmen will move cars out of the way for you as soon as you drive onto the lot, and I even had one of them chase me down at a stoplight when I drove off one day, insisting that he will move whichever car it takes to get me onto a charger. I explained that I was just checking out the location so I knew where it was.

apvbguy said:
Andolyn said:
Hey Apvbguy
I posted that question with Nissan USA this morning. When and if i get a response ill post it up
like any franchisee, dealerships should be forced to hold certain levels of services in order to remain an authorized franchise. if Nissan USA says that they need to offer unfettered charging at their dealerships and then they turn around and demand fees for charging Nissan can and should put a stop to the practice
I doubt Nissan USA has made any such request given what we've seen of the DC FC and L2 locations at dealers, so far. There seem to be very few that offer 24/7 DC FC access. The closest dealer to me doesn't have 24/7 access to either their L2s nor DC FC. You can't get to them when the dealer's closed.

And given http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it seems even less likely that there's any requirement about providing free charging.

Back