Range Degradation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewc

Any idea how much range I should expect to lose over two years, commuting 27K per year (55 mile commute, one-way).

I live in Atlanta, GA. It’s hot in the summer, chilly in the winter. My commute is a total of 55 miles, one-way. The breakdown is 25 miles at 35 – 45 mph, 30 miles at 65 mph.
My biggest concern…Over a two year lease, will the range degrade to the point that I can’t make it one-way? I plan to have a L2 charger at home. I also have access to an L2 charger at work.

I just don’t want to get to the point that I have to stop and quick-charge to go one-way.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Is your Leaf a 2014 or 2015? The 2015 has the so called Lizard battery, which is supposed to withstand heat much better and degrade more slowly. We only have data for the chemistry in 2011-2012 Leaf. The Battery Aging Model (link in my signature) does a fairly decent job of estimating capacity loss for the 2011-2012 Leaf.

For 2015, no one knows except perhaps Nissan. Nissan hasn't published what they know.
For 2013-2014 people are reporting significantly less degradation than earlier.
1) http://insideevs.com/nissan-ceo-carlos-ghosn-second-generation-battery-is-coming-online-now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2) http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3) http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17043" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What matters most for your degradation is how hot the battery is most of the time. If you keep it in a cool garage most of the time, then it will lose significantly less range versus on top of hot black pavement.
I have 90 mile range on my 2013 leaf, with 11K miles on it. I live in the bay area where it is mild weather year round.

If it gets tight with winter cold, rain, wind, and hills, driving the 65 mph
stretch at 59 mph will help, and learning gentle control of braking
and acceleration should easily get you through 2 years, but YMMV.

matthewc said:
Any idea how much range I should expect to lose over two years, commuting 27K per year (55 mile commute, one-way).

I live in Atlanta, GA. It’s hot in the summer, chilly in the winter. My commute is a total of 55 miles, one-way. The breakdown is 25 miles at 35 – 45 mph, 30 miles at 65 mph.
My biggest concern…Over a two year lease, will the range degrade to the point that I can’t make it one-way? I plan to have a L2 charger at home. I also have access to an L2 charger at work.

I just don’t want to get to the point that I have to stop and quick-charge to go one-way.

Any input would be much appreciated!
Expect one-way to take 65% of the battery capacity in good weather. The 30 miles of expressway will take @ 40% of the battery capacity, the 25 miles of local roads will take another 25% when the battery is new and temperatures are ideal. As long as you have a very dependable L2 at each end of your commute you should be fine with a moderate amount of capacity loss over time. Would recommend not skimping on the charging package on the car, get at least the 6.6kW, possibly the QC port, and recommend the L2's at both ends are 30 amp units. Would also find some alternative "Plan B" charging locations on your commute route.

Back