Leaf winter survey

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charge

Any one else get a leaf winter survey recently?

Got one today. Questions about driving/charging patterns, parking, garage type, and potential winter related future options

Guessing most of the World does not consider Northwest Winters to be worthy and they do have a point. Its comparable to late October, Early November MI winters

Yep I got one. The filter is probably state based as even though we do get the odd snow storm and down into single digits a few days a year the SW Indiana microclimate does not have what I would call severe winters. Certainly nothing like the north of the state around Chicago area.

Although not asked in the survey the combination of these issues will make winter driving challenging as time goes on:
- range hit due to snow tires
- loss of range due to cold
- use of heat/defrost
- battery degradation (down about 15%)
- less winter regen after firmware
- wife panics when the car gets down to 10 miles
A 40 mile round trip commune may not be doable soon

Got it today -- our last winter here in Chicago was pretty brutal, I realize that its not the best but checking my monthly mileage stats on CARWINGS, we drove the LEAF about half as much in the coldest months versus the other 3 seasons. Biggest factor is how deep any snow not yet plowed is when we leave for work as well as how cold it will be all day while the car sits, etc.; wife's commute is only 7 miles R/T; mine is 30 so either it sits in the garage while we take our ICE's or defaults to shortest commuter on 'moderate' winter days. The good news here is that I may have talked my boss into a Tesla as his company leased car so we might get L2 chargers here --- problem solved if that happens as we could keep the batteries warm, etc. even on the real cold days; one can always dream. No substitute for AWD though when the weather is at its worse though so am happy I have it on my ICE --- they say this coming winter should not be as severe but we'll see.

Yes, I got it. Although my winters tend to be mild compared to places like Minnesota (only get below zero at night/early mornings or on infrequent trips over the mountains). And the roads get cleared down to bare pavement in a few hours after a snowstorm most of the time so I don't use snow tires. Winter driving here is mostly bare pavement, just way colder than summer. If it is snowing hard I take the Jeep or let my carpool partner drive his CUV.

They sort of hinted at it with their question on where the car is stored during the day or at night, but my attached garage keeps my battery above freezing and that helps a lot with winter range versus parking outside.

I was intrigued by the question about a heated footwell. That would be nice if it weren't too much of a power drain.

I finally got to tell them what I think about the GOM. When it comes to using the full range of the car, the difference between the stock range/fuel gauges and my aftermarket Leaf DD is night and day. (Although the %SOC gauge on the newer LEAFs is a step in the right direction.)

The survey was put out by the Nissan Tech Center here in Michigan, and I'm sure they got a first hand taste of the awful range that comes with -15F conditions.

I let them have it with the survey. The LEAF has the potential to be one hell of a winter car- preheated cabin, heated seats throughout, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors. They just need to fine tune it and find some way to improve range in the winter. 40-45 miles was considered "good" for winter. After the massive degradation I've experienced this summer, next winter would have been tough if I hadn't moved closer to work.

Back