2015 LEAF : Specs, Price etc

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2015 Nissan LEAF – Affordable, Sustainable Mobility

Nissan LEAF was introduced in December 2010, as the world's first affordable, zero emission car for the mass market. With that formula, consumer adoption has taken off, making LEAF the world's best-selling, 100-percent electric vehicle.

For 2015, Nissan LEAF continues to make it "easy to be green," offering the space and range to meet everyday needs, while also providing an exceptional value proposition due to zero spending on gas, lower operating and maintenance costs and a starting price after tax incentives competitive with a comparable gas-powered car.

Along with saving money, Nissan LEAF buyers are discovering its value as a primary everyday vehicle – with High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) access (check local regulations), range that is more than twice the average driver's daily need* and LEAF's fun-to-drive instant, smooth acceleration and handling character.

The estimated driving range for the 2015 LEAF on a fully charged battery is rated by the EPA at 84 miles and MPGe ratings are 126 City, 101 Highway and 114 Combined.

In addition to zero tailpipe emissions and convenience of charging at home, LEAF drivers enjoy a smooth, quiet ride with its running noise of just 21 decibels measuring less than a typical ceiling fan (26 dB).

The 2015 Nissan LEAF is available in three trim levels: LEAF S, SV and SL, along with option packages offering advanced systems such as Around View® Monitor and Energy Efficient Series Bose® premium audio system. Enhancements for 2015 include a new MorningSky Blue exterior color (late availability), the addition of Hands-Free Text Messaging Assistant and Voice Destination Entry for SV and SL grades, and new standard 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels for the SV grade (late availability). Also, the base LEAF S grade receives standard "B-Mode," which engages regenerative braking more aggressively while decelerating. All 2015 LEAF models include three drive modes: Normal, Eco-Mode and B-Mode.

Although not in the announcement, the 2015 model has an improved traction battery that is more tolerant of hot weather degradation. Nissan has announced an out of waranty price of $5,500 for the traction battery, including mandatory core credit of $1000 ; but, not including installation and taxes. The new battery is available for installation in all 2011 to 2014 model year cars; the 2011/12 cars will require an additional $250 adapter kit.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what I've read/heard, it sounds like the 2015 is nearly identical to the 2014, with the exception of a few features coming standard, like the 2014 was to the 2013.

Haven't heard anything about pricing, which seems to be getting cheaper.

mctom987 said:
From what I've read/heard, it sounds like the 2015 is nearly identical to the 2014, with the exception of a few features coming standard, like the 2014 was to the 2013.

Look at the tabs at http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
mctom987 said:

Look at the tabs at http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Hmm… looks like the S is up $30, SV and SL $100. Not a huge difference, but it's not cheaper ):

Still, at least Nissan is adding features to the base models.

Copying and pasting from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=376564#p376564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, that's now locked.

Interestingly, it looks like the SV will get 17-inch wheels and 215/50R17 Michelin Energy Saver tires standard, but it's marked as (late availability). Not sure if that means early SVs will have the old 16-inch wheels and Ecopia tires or if the SVs will just be held up.

Also noticed that cruise control and B-mode became standard on the S, instead of n/a.

This makes the S more compelling... When I was in the market for my '13, I originally shied away from the S totally because it lacked cruise control, which seemed silly, in this day and age. B-mode wasn't that important to me.

It is rather like rearranging the deck chairs... :lol:

mctom987 said:

cwerdna said:
This makes the S more compelling... When I was in the market for my '13, I originally shied away from the S totally because it lacked cruise control, which seemed silly, in this day and age. B-mode wasn't that important to me.

Yep, I feel you there. Why does a MY14 car not have a feature over 100 years old? Cruise control is almost "free" on modern cars, with the only cost being the physical button, and maybe programming the HUD to show it's enabled. Throttle control and everything else is already there…

I once bashed the Versa for having manual roll-up windows and manual locks. This was about 5 years ago, but was still about as bone-headed as ditching cruise control.

Regarding pricing, I just saw an ad from Nissan advertising the 2015 Leaf S lease at $249/month for 36 months, $1999 down, excluding taxes, license, your firstborn, etc.

As the only significant improvement seems to be the allegedly more-heat-resistant battery, it looks like I'll be extending my $199/month lease on my 2012 SV when it expires in 18 months, rather than getting a 2015. Hopefully a new Leaf with greater range will be out by 2017.

mbender said:
Has there been any word on release/availability dates? If I remember right, 2014s weren't available until a few months into 2014, and if I "hear" right, 2015s will be available well before 2015.

Some dealers have had 2015 Leafs for a while, e.g. http://www.visionnissanny.com/New-2015-Nissan-LEAF-S-Rochester-NY/vd/21302661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here in the Rochester area there's a total of one Leaf at the four area Nissan dealers (two small ones, two auto malls), so I'm guessing the number of cars on lots is still very low, and could result in an apparent big drop in sales for July.

"addition of Hands-Free Text Messaging Assistant and Voice Destination Entry for SV and SL grades"

Is this really new? I thought a dealer just told me I could enter destinations by voice in the 2014? Is this a slight change in software in 15 that won't get updated to the older models? We have voice texting in our C-max and it is quite handy and surprisingly accurate. Anyone with a 14 know whether this is really a new feature for 15?

Just leased a 2015 Nissan Leaf S for $260/month zero down. 24 month lease, 12K miles/yr. MSRP was about $31K (don't have the sticker in front of me). This is Non VPP pricing.

Didn't have to negotiate at all for this price, this was the offered price and I quickly accepted.

Has there been any confirmation that the 2015 has the hot battery? Is there any way to identify the battery? Any early test results to see if its really any better? If folks get 2015s this summer, by the end of the summer we might have some real data to show if its working or not.

dm33 said:
Has there been any confirmation that the 2015 has the hot battery? Is there any way to identify the battery? Any early test results to see if its really any better? If folks get 2015s this summer, by the end of the summer we might have some real data to show if its working or not.

no
no
no
maybe

azguy said:
I got 2015 leaf S this weekend in phoenix , dealers told me 2015 you should not have heat issue .
You are the perfect test case. You should get a OBDII-Wifi adapter and LEAFstat for iOS or OBDII-bluetooth adapter and LEAFSpy for Android and report how your battery degrades over the summer. In the past, Arizona users have seen dramatic drops in battery capacity over a single summer.

AZguy, I have an OBDII bluetooth adaptor I will send you for free if you agree to post the initail and post summer results

PM me and I will send it today.
you will need some sort of android device , it will run Leafspy
Kevin

dm33 said:

"These replacement batteries are the same battery found in 2015 LEAF vehicles, which are also on sale now at Nissan dealers. As a replacement, this battery is expected to provide similar range and charging characteristics as the battery offered since the launch of the LEAF in 2010. Changes in battery chemistry, however, have been made in an effort to make the battery more durable in extremely hot climates. (So, yes…this is what you’ve been calling the “lizard” battery.) We knew it was important to early buyers to purchase the latest technology. Holding the replacement program until this summer meant we would be offering just that. "

I saw 9 new 2015s on the lot at Tustin Nissan.. Was tempted to have them boot one up for me and plug in LeafDD for some readings but it's kind of a pain for them to dig the keys out of their big key vault.. I have to admit I'm really curious though. Maybe I'll go back... Perhaps one of the 2015 owners can start a "2015 battery degradation" thread like we have for 2013/14..?

Back