Missing welds, Nissan may replace up to 211 2014 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how spot welds could be missing... I have to assume that all of that is an automated process!

Rather an expensive recall!

DNAinaGoodWay said:
http://insideevs.com/2014-nissan-leaf-recall-missing-spot-welds-means-affected-vehicles-will-replaced-free-charge/
Oops!

Might want to correct the title "Missing welds, Nissan to replace 211 2014 LEAFs". Nissan will inspect 211 LEAFs, any with missing spot welds will be replaced. They won't necessarily replace all 211 - it might be very few that get replaced.

Good that this was caught in a quality inspection, self-reported, and a recall self-initiated. Bad that it happened, though. Seems like the Smyrna roll-out of LEAFs has been more trouble-fraught than usual.

Nissan is recalling 2104 LEAFS, less then 300 US and Canadian cars are affected, the reason is missing welds

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1092174_2014-nissan-leaf-recalled-for-missing-welds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These cars have been rolling off the same assembly line, identical to the thousands that came before it. How does the robot welder just stop welding and the line keeps rolling for weeks? Someone forgot to restock the welding rod?

TomT said:
Unless you know exactly where to look, I'm not sure you could verify if all spot welds are there as only some are missing...

NasGoreList said:
mine is made in feb of this year :eek: . will check the welds when I get home this afternoon!

http://insideevs.com/2014-nissan-leaf-recall-missing-spot-welds-means-affected-vehicles-will-replaced-free-charge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at the pictures in the link. Take a flashlight. Open the hood of the car. Turn on the flashlight. Move the flashlight and your head until you can clearly see the square hole and the three holes below it. Takes about 2 minutes. Easy, just did it.

My car has all six welds.

The article suggests that only a handful may have made it to a buyer, but of those, the recall is supposed to start mid-June? They expect them to drive one of those for another month?

WetEV said:
TomT said:
Unless you know exactly where to look, I'm not sure you could verify if all spot welds are there as only some are missing...

NasGoreList said:
mine is made in feb of this year :eek: . will check the welds when I get home this afternoon!

http://insideevs.com/2014-nissan-leaf-recall-missing-spot-welds-means-affected-vehicles-will-replaced-free-charge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at the pictures in the link. Take a flashlight. Open the hood of the car. Turn on the flashlight. Move the flashlight and your head until you can clearly see the square hole and the three holes below it. Takes about 2 minutes. Easy, just did it.

My car has all six welds.

Mine falls into the range as well. I checked at lunch and I can see the three dots, but they look nothing like the white ones in the picture. Just little indentations in the metal - almost like a locating template. My paint under the hood is black so it may be more difficult to see. Can you confirm your welds looked exactly like the white one in the picture please.

Nissan is recalling certain 2014 LEAF vehicles built within a 13-day period that may be missing critical spot welds. The good news: very few vehicles are affected by this serious problem.

[REMOVED]

Recalls are not a good thing. "Luckily for Nissan, the recall issued for certain 2014 LEAFs built between February 28, 2014 and March 12, 2014 only applies to 211 vehicles in the United States and another 65 in Canada. The cause: possibly missing spot welds on a front structural member.

Without the welds in question, the occupants of the affected vehicles are far more vulnerable in a frontal collision. Thankfully no injuries or deaths have yet been reported as a result of this manufacturing boo-boo, and Nissan has rightfully offered to replace the vehicles in question free of charge.

It is amazing to me how many PiP's Toyota sells despite only being available in certain markets. I seriously hope they are planning to come out with a better PiP with at least double the EV range and make it available in all markets.

How does this have anything to do with this Leaf recall???

adric22 said:
It is amazing to me how many PiP's Toyota sells despite only being available in certain markets. I seriously hope they are planning to come out with a better PiP with at least double the EV range and make it available in all markets.

Back