Long ranger accessory...?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yanquetino

I'm sure you've all seen the "long ranger" trailer that AC Propulsion designed for the tZero and RAV4-EV. "EV Nut" Darell Dickey describes it in his web pages:

Long Ranger Trailer
rav_longranger01.jpg

Well... apparently the "Electric Motors And Vehicles" company is hoping to produce just such an accessory:

EMAV's Pru (Power Regeneration Unit)
EMAV.jpg

I don't suggest we hold our breath yet, but I have always thought that this is a much better solution than the Volt for those infrequent long-distance trips. Rather than haul a generator around in the vehicle all day, every day, just put it in a small trailer for those rare times when you want to take your LEAF to visit grandma out-of-state.

Might be interesting if you could rent that with a 100Kw battery pack
Could really take advantage of a quick charge station. Or park it at the destination to charge for 48 hours on a standard L2.

Yanquetino said:
I'm sure you've all seen the "long ranger" trailer that AC Propulsion designed for the tZero and RAV4-EV. "EV Nut" Darell Dickey describes it in his web pages:

Long Ranger Trailer

Well... apparently the "Electric Motors And Vehicles" company is hoping to produce just such an accessory:

EMAV's Pru (Power Regeneration Unit)

I don't suggest we hold our breath yet, but I have always thought that this is a much better solution than the Volt for those infrequent long-distance trips. Rather than haul a generator around in the vehicle all day, every day, just put it in a small trailer for those rare times when you want to take your LEAF to visit grandma out-of-state.

The difference is that the "long ranger" is a generator connected to a charger that charges the batteries on the vehicle. This trailer is a diesel pusher. There is an onboard generator that is feeding directly to a motor that is powering the wheels and pushing the EV down the road. It uses surge brake and accelerometer technology to determine how much power to apply to the wheels so it can match the EV drivers pedal commands. This setup is probably horrible for stop and go traffic, but on the freeway should work great with an EV.

Yanquetino said:
just put it in a small trailer for those rare times when you want to take your LEAF to visit grandma out-of-state.

Or rent one to attach to your EV for those occasional longer trips. Then you wouldn't have to store it on your property and worry about keeping the fuel fresh and the generator in good shape between uses.

we've discussed this before. The issue is, the Leaf isn't designed for the batteries to be charged while operating.

NIssan would have to make some changes, or you would need heavy modifications by a 3rd party to allow a 'lone Ranger" trailer style interface/generator.

again, I don't see support from Nissan for this, as their marketing message has always been "Zero tailpipe Emmisions"
this is not in keeping whih that philosphy

mitch672 said:
we've discussed this before. The issue is, the Leaf isn't designed for the batteries to be charged while operating.

NIssan would have to make some changes, or you would need heavy modifications by a 3rd party to allow a 'lone Ranger" trailer style interface/generator.

again, I don't see support from Nissan for this, as their marketing message has always been "Zero tailpipe Emmisions"

please re-read again how this works. It is a diesel pusher, it does not charge the batteries.

If you want this then buy a Volt or rent are car, must we do this again?

EVDRIVER said:

I'm not saying I'm in favor of it, I'm just trying to clarify what the device is. If I'm going to drive from SF bay area to LA or Vegas, I'd much rather go in a rented full size/luxury car than a Leaf with a trailer pushing me.

palmermd said:
mitch672 said:

please re-read again how this works. It is a diesel pusher, it does not charge the batteries.

The Lone Ranger is a battery charger. The other one is a diesel pusher. I don't see the point.
If you need more than the 100 mile range, rent a Prius for a few days or a week. I also doubt the frame of the Leaf is designed for this. If they ever make that product, it will be so expensive, it will be doomed to fail anyway.

mitch672 said:
The Lone Ranger is a battery charger. The other one is a diesel pusher. I don't see the point.
If you need more than the 100 mile range, rent a Prius for a few days or a week. I also doubt the frame of the Leaf is designed for this. If they ever make that product, it will be so expensive, it will be doomed to fail anyway.

I agree. GM-Volt.com indicated it was going to cost around $15000. That makes it cost almost as much as the EV to begin with. No way anybody in their right mind would purchase one, but hey, the company must assume that there are a lot of people who are not in their right mind I guess.

mitch672 said:

You are forgetting - several hackers already broke into the Prius hardware code relating to battery management and have successfully enabled the prius to drive pure EV for many more miles than originally designed, with a larger after market pack. You kidding right? I'm already looking into what kind of mods I can do to the pack (with out getting caught).
;)

hill said:
mitch672 said:

You are forgetting - several hackers already broke into the Prius hardware code relating to battery management and have successfully enabled the prius to drive pure EV for many more miles than originally designed, with a larger after market pack. You kidding right? I'm already looking into what kind of mods I can do to the pack (with out getting caught).
;)

I have a Prius, and am probably buying the Ewert Energy/PICC EV pack for it, however, a handfull of hackers will not make a bit off difference to this "diesel pusher", the company will probably still fail if they mfr it. Don't count on many mods to the Leaf, it is most likely closely monitored by 'car wings' in realtime or nearly so data loggers. The Leaf is a far cry from modifing a Prius.

mitch672 said:
Don't count on many mods to the Leaf, it is most likely closely monitored by 'car wings' in realtime or nearly so data loggers. The Leaf is a far cry from modifing a Prius.

I agree. They will know pretty quickly you've done something.

palmermd said:
mitch672 said:
Don't count on many mods to the Leaf, it is most likely closely monitored by 'car wings' in realtime or nearly so data loggers. The Leaf is a far cry from modifing a Prius.

I agree. They will know pretty quickly you've done something.
Which is why I'm buying instead of leasing! :D If you can't open it, you don't own it!

EVDRIVER said:
Uh... sorry, then. I just thought it was an interesting news item to share. :shock:
palmermd said:
Yes, it has its own propulsion, although I don't get the impression that it "pushes" the EV, but rather maintains the same speed according to the push-and-pull pressures on the hitch. As for not charging the batteries, the title of the article is certainly misleading then: "Range-Extending Trailer Charges Your EV, Carries Your Gear." :?
mitch672 said:
Huh. I thought that's just what happens with regenerative braking. In fact, unless memory fails me, I believe that AC Propulsion's long ranger trailer did just that: it channeled the electricity through the regenerative braking circuit while driving. :|

At any rate, I still opine that someday, when and if the price to rent or own is right, something like this would be a better alternative than hauling the ICE generator around with you, day in and day out, all day, every day --like with the Volt.

Yanquetino said:
EVDRIVER said:
Uh... sorry, then. I just thought it was an interesting news item to share. :shock:
palmermd said:
Yes, it has its own propulsion, although I don't get the impression that it "pushes" the EV, but rather maintains the same speed according to the push-and-pull pressures on the hitch. As for not charging the batteries, the title of the article is certainly misleading then: "Range-Extending Trailer Charges Your EV, Carries Your Gear." :?
mitch672 said:
Huh. I thought that's just what happens with regenerative braking. In fact, unless memory fails me, I believe that AC Propulsion's long ranger trailer did just that: it channeled the electricity through the regenerative braking circuit while driving. :|

At any rate, I still opine that someday, when and if the price to rent or own is right, something like this would be a better alternative than hauling the ICE generator around with you, day in and day out, all day, every day --like with the Volt.

The Leaf is not an ACP car or other, regen and charging come form two different devices and are handled differently. The Leaf is not designed for this and this type of setup is too costly and would require expensive changes to work on a Leaf. I don't think this will be a viable product ever as EV/pack technology will make it obsolete before it could be practical and affordable.

EVDRIVER said:
The Leaf is not an ACP car or other, regen and charging come form two different devices and are handled differently. The Leaf is not designed for this and this type of setup is too costly and would require expensive changes to work on a Leaf. I don't think this will be a viable product ever as EV/pack technology will make it obsolete before it could be practical and affordable.
Oh... my. I was merely thinking that something like this (smaller, lighter, cheaper) might prove a useful accessory for future EVs that would be so "designed," say, perhaps a LEAF 2.0. No problem, then: I'm outta here.

Back