2015 LEAF specs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roperld

I just got this from a reliable source:

"All the EV-icon accents will turn from blue to chrome.
SV grade gets 17" wheels
S grade gets cruise control
SV & SL grades get hands free text messaging and voice destination entry
S grade gets Brake mode
Blue Ocean color deleted and Morningsky blue added.

Not much earth shaking over the 2014 model. Looks like maybe a July release."

I am tempted to change to the BMW i3 when my LEAF lease is up in May 2015.

A July release would be a big departure from what we've seen with the Leaf so far. Usually they aren't out until January.

I wonder if they are releasing the '15 6 months early because the last half of 2015 will see severe supply constraints before a large '16 model update?

Or maybe they are releasing the '16 6 months early because that's when it will be ready and they want to get as far in front of Tesla as possible. Selling a few people a '15 for 6 months right before they double the range might not be a good PR move. That would be nice, seeing as my lease will be up in '15. :D

pkulak said:
I wonder if they are releasing the '15 6 months early because the last half of 2015 will see severe supply constraints before a large '16 model update?

Or maybe they are releasing the '16 6 months early because that's when it will be ready and they want to get as far in front of Tesla as possible. Selling a few people a '15 for 6 months right before they double the range might not be a good PR move. That would be nice, seeing as my lease will be up in '15. :D

What my dealer predicted is happening. He says 2016 will be early next year. As to if it's a big model change it would seem everyone is guessing and the guesses are on both sides of the fence.

It seems to me that the 2015 is more in line with traditional cars' model year timing. That is to say, most cars are released in late summer of the year prior to their nominal model year. For all we know, this could be Nissan trying to better align the Leaf with the rest of their models. Anything more (and even the above) is just speculation. It is interesting to note that Palmer has been vocal about how quickly the technology has been improving while Nissan is releasing a third model year with no real improvement in technology (that we know of).

On the other hand, if the 2015 contains the Lizard battery, maybe that's the reason for pushing it out as soon as the battery was ready.

Just adding some speculation fuel to the fire... ;)

GetOffYourGas said:
On the other hand, if the 2015 contains the Lizard battery, maybe that's the reason for pushing it out as soon as the battery was ready.
This is my guess and I think it is a very reasonable one at that. Makes it very easy to keep track of what car has the good battery and what car has the not so good battery.

KJD said:
GetOffYourGas said:
This is my guess and I think it is a very reasonable one at that. Makes it very easy to keep track of what car has the good battery and what car has the not so good battery.

Agreed. I just don't see how they can sell/manage the product line without a clear demarcation of a major feature (the "hot pack" battery).

Since Nissan is either unwilling or unable to tell us anything, we will never know for sure, will we... However, I doubt that is the reason... Nissan has been completely willy-nilly on Leaf MY introductions...

GetOffYourGas said:

No one knows what Nissan is doing since, as usual, they have been completely uncommunicative... Maybe the Advisory Group knows but they have been completely silent for a long time as well...

keydiver said:
Nubo said:
They're shipping the lizard battery to Canada first?
No, they're dumping all the old non-Lizard battery inventory into Canada first. :twisted:

barber3.jpgView attachment 1
TomT said:
No one knows what Nissan is doing since, as usual, they have been completely uncommunicative... Maybe the Advisory Group knows but they have been completely silent for a long time as well...

keydiver said:
Nubo said:
No, they're dumping all the old non-Lizard battery inventory into Canada first. :twisted:

Only your barber knows.

We were in our local dealership last week renting a car and talking about our lease which is up in Jan. They told us to come back in two weeks for some dealing because the '15s would be on the lot. We'll see.

15's are on the lot at the dealership I'm working with... I'm in Chicago. Now just need to decide between 14 and 15. Probably 14 given the incentives and the 15 doesn't seem to have much going for it over the 14.

US specs and pricing are at http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Look at the last 3 tabs.

Interestingly, it looks like the SV will get 17-inch wheels and 215/50R17 Michelin Energy Saver tires standard, but it's marked as (late availability). Not sure if that means early SVs will have the old 16-inch wheels and Ecopia tires or if the SVs will just be held up.

Also noticed that cruise control and B-mode became standard on the S, instead of n/a.

This makes the S more compelling... When I was in the market for my '13, I originally shied away from the S totally because it lacked cruise control, which seemed silly, in this day and age. B-mode wasn't that important to me.

keydiver said:
Nubo said:

Yep this is my guess too. It was the reason that the 2015s arrived in Canada first. They have not said for sure that every 2015 will have the new battery. Plus if hey have inventory on the old batteries they want to use them up. They have said for people buying or getting a replacement battery it will be the new lizard battery so dumping the older chemistry batteries to Canada's colder climate makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back