2013 Dec Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 2529, Volt 2392

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

As the year comes to a close, we'll get the December and thus the full year numbers.

Leaf's 2,529 is a record high.

Monthly-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins-table.png

It will be very interesting to see if the increased Leaf production translates to higher sales.

evnow, any comparison notes between your 2 leafs (the 2011 and the 2013) in terms of range or other interesting features?

I'll play -- both the Leaf and Volt will be up over last month as people take advantage of "end of the year" deals. However, it seems like the Leaf should be up slightly more because there will also be "end of the Model year" deals as the Leaf transitions to MY14. I also think there is an outside chance that the Leaf could have a truly great month because inventories are high on Cars.com. I'm assuming that means TN production has finished the ramp up . So it possible that we will see a high number - 2,500? 2,700? But I also think Nissan would have dropped a hint about record sales. So I'm staying conservative with my guesses.

My prediction:

Leaf : 2,225
Volt: 2,050
Spark: 88

I find the chart over at insideevs.com a bit easier to read. Overall, I think it has been a good year for plug-in cars. This is only due to my lowered expectations from 3 years ago. At that point in time I expected the Leaf to be selling 80,000 per year along with the Volt. But now that I'm more firmly planted in reality, I can say this has been a decently good year for plug-ins and I expect next year to be even better.

Monthly-Plug-In-Sales-Dec-2013-vfinal2.png

I haven't heard of good LEAF deals. Last month, lease rates were very bad. Had been waiting for 2014s which haven't shown up. Inventory is way up, but I'm guessing thats partly a statement about lack of sales vs. increase in production.

I'm guessing rates for both LEAF and Volt around 2000.

If the LEAF sells 622 more than the Volt it will end the year as the top selling plugin of 2013.

Inventory levels around here seem pretty high. My guess is that December was not a good month for LEAF sales.

adric22 said:
I find the chart over at insideevs.com a bit easier to read. Overall, I think it has been a good year for plug-in cars. This is only due to my lowered expectations from 3 years ago. At that point in time I expected the Leaf to be selling 80,000 per year along with the Volt. But now that I'm more firmly planted in reality, I can say this has been a decently good year for plug-ins and I expect next year to be even better.

We are going to overhaul the charts for 2014...it was/is time and there is too darn many plug-ins now to go have horizontal listings now, lol. Going to add in a little more info/functionality too.

Jay
InsideEVs

I will say, I like how evnow's chart has got an all-time tally and splits out the platforms (pure vs plug-in hybrids). I think they compliment each other well, (=

MrIanB said:
Leaf 2,350
Volt 1,653
Ian B
Volt @ 2,392 via
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Jan/gmsales.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://media.gm.com/dld/content/dam/Media/gmcom/investor/2014/jan/Deliveries-December-2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEAF @ 2,529 via
http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-sales-december/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

December overall scorecard via insideevs:
http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KJD said:
Inventory levels around here seem pretty high. My guess is that December was not a good month for LEAF sales.
Happy to say I was completely wrong on this one.

How long until we have the first month over 3,000 for the LEAF ?

KJD said:
KJD said:
Happy to say I was completely wrong on this one.

How long until we have the first month over 3,000 for the LEAF ?

not surprised the numbers were high. big push to get rid of the 2013's including a lot of fearmongering about pricing and lease terms of the 2014's. When I got my 2013, two were delivered while waiting for mine (they had to do dealer trade to get mine plus I showed up 5 hours earlier than expected... just couldn't wait I guess...)

but the 2013 terms are essentially interest free financing. my "rent" charge for the 3 year lease was $35.75. I am guessing it would screw up their software to put in zero so they put in a token amount... but either way, i am happy getting in early instead of waiting for the 2014's

Just adding in some data points:

Cadillac ELR 6
Spark EV 76
i-MiEV 11
Honda Fit EV 51
Honda Accord PHV 38
Prius PHV 919

Looks like we'll be just shy of 100k for the year, even if Fords come in at record numbers - 3k or so short.

evnow said:
Looks like we'll be just shy of 100k for the year, even if Fords come in at record numbers - 3k or so short.

Yupe.

Just got in touch with smart, they sold a fair number again this month - 167. I think of all the EVs out this year, they are the most surprising...only Nissan (and Tesla - my bad on skipping them - edit) sold more pure EVs in the 2nd half - smart sold 750...and only available regionally.

Also, we picked up Toyota numbers too - RAV4 EV 28

Statik said:
evnow said:

Yupe.

Just got in touch with smart, they sold a fair number again this month - 167. I think of all the EVs out this year, they are the most surprising...only Nissan sold more pure EVs in the 2nd half - smart sold 750...and only available regionally.

Also, we picked up Toyota numbers too - RAV4 EV 28

uhh...what about Tesla?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Statik said:
evnow said:
Yupe. Just got in touch with smart, they sold a fair number again this month - 167. I think of all the EVs out this year, they are the most surprising...only Nissan sold more pure EVs in the 2nd half - smart sold 750...and only available regionally. Also, we picked up Toyota numbers too - RAV4 EV 28
uhh...what about Tesla?
See: http://insideevs.com/december-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^^^
Yep, problem (as the above and everywhere else states) is that Tesla doesn't report their monthly figures. They only disclose the # of units delivered in their quarterly financials, which can have significant lag.

I wonder what the heck happened w/the Rav4 EV? Bad incentives now? Toyota's actions to strongly discourage out of state sales == huge drop?

Back