Announcement: Plugshare and Recargo Merge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfingslovak

Haven't seen this posted anywhere. It's a bit unclear what the combined entity will be called.

Recargo, Inc. and Xatori, Inc., the companies behind the two leading EV charging locater apps, today announced they are merging. The merger will expand the companies’ ability to offer guidance to electric car drivers.

The combined company will bring together Recargo and Plugshare into a single, comprehensive directory of more than 20,000 electric vehicle charging stations under the PlugShare brand—with more than 30,000 station reviews and 14,000 photos to assist in last mile navigation.

Recargo is the owner and publisher of PluginCars.com.

Both Recargo and Xatori have seen tremendous growth in 2013, doubling membership across their EV charging communities.

The merger will also bring Xatori’s plug-in charging manager GreenCharge and fleet manager ChargeManager under the same roof as EV research panel PlugInsights—and EV news and information portal PluginCars.com.

Recargo chief executive Brian Kariger will remain the C.E.O. of the company, while Forrest North, C.E.O. of Xatori, Inc., will become chief operating officer. “We came together with the same goal in mind, to grow the EV market.” said Kariger. "This merger is the beginning of a powerful collaboration, doubling resources and fortifying our community."

To celebrate the merger, Recargo, PlugShare and PluginCars.com are pleased to offer this infographic, revealing the rapid expansion of public electric car charging infrastructure in North America. A larger version is also available for viewing, and distribution throughout the Internet.
Click to open

riseofcharging

It says: "under the PlugShare brand", so I guess it'll be called Plugshare.

This is good, saves checking both of them. PlugShare was more up to date, and used more by us, but Recargo has a useful link to Yelp and PluginCars.com.

I've spent a lot of time the last month driving around the Fort Worth area and updating plugshare with more accurate map pointers, removing non-existent stations, adding better descriptions, and taking photos. I hope all of my work doesn't get deleted with the merger.

adric22 said:
I've spent a lot of time the last month driving around the Fort Worth area and updating plugshare with more accurate map pointers, removing non-existent stations, adding better descriptions, and taking photos. I hope all of my work doesn't get deleted with the merger.
Yes, let's hope so! With a little luck, the PlugShare database will grow through an import of the Recargo database. It sounds like Recargo might be the holding company, but PlugShare the product name and brand? I didn't realize they owned PluginCars.com as well before reading this announcement.

Around here, PlugShare has always been more active and better updated, incorporating Recargo probably won't add many new sites, but I too hope it doesn't mess up PlugShares data.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Around here, PlugShare has always been more active and better updated, incorporating Recargo probably won't add many new sites, but I too hope it doesn't mess up PlugShares data.

Exactly what I'm thinking, too. This is PlugShare's game to lose.

From the Recargo website:

As part of the merger, the companies services, including charging station directories, will gradually integrate into one unified app with the combined location information, charging capabilities, driver reviews and photos of thousands of charging stations across the continent.

The complete suite of Recargo products now includes:

Consumer products and services:

PluginCars – the web’s premier site for reviews, user forums and guides about purchasing and owning plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles
PlugShare – a cause-based social network that allows users to find charging stations and connect with other plug-in vehicle owners
Recargo Station Finder – finds electric vehicle charging stations, searches for food and activities via Yelp, and connects to news from PluginCars.com
GreenCharge – displays driving patterns, charging costs, and environmental impact on iPhones and iPads

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Yep, more is not always better.

Both sites were very good, and constantly improving. Maybe because of the competition. Benefit of consolidation to drivers is crowd source effort is not split or diluted between two sites. If commitment does not waiver, this is a good thing.

I sent an email to Recargo with Congrats and concerns.

From Recargo customer support:

"Thanks for your message. We're excited to be one team now and will have news about the merging of data in the coming weeks. Making sure we preserve all of the data from both apps is our top focus. There's tons of photos and checkin information from each that were missing from the other. It's going to be great to have all the data integrated soon.

Happy Charging,

Nick"

I think a lot of people didn't want to be adding and updating stations in multiple databases and chose PlugShare as the default.

I can't get the DC locations from either site.

Filters - Coming Soon

Enhanced Site Filters will be available before the end of May.

http://www.recargo.com/search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And at Plugshare, I only can see the "filter" box, on a blank map.

http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plugshare's app is up, but showing only a fraction of the Central CA DC's.

Any suggestions?

Recargo was a decent site before the merger. Now it is not reliable. As just mentioned, you could once filter the search results. for instance, if you wanted to check for J-plug chargers only or Quick Charge only or any combination you could do so. They dropped that feature for some dumb reason. The website has that idiotic message saying that the search feature will be up by May of 2013, and it is not.

I sent an e-mail over a month ago about the feature and their out of date message and got an automated answer saying a "ticket" has been opened and I would get a reply soon. Of course, no reply has been forth coming.

I don't use the site much anymore.

edatoakrun said:
And at Plugshare, I only can see the "filter" box, on a blank map. http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could it be a cookie problem? I have no trouble seeing the map or using the filter, but I do have ten cookies at plugshare.com. Check to be sure you aren't prohibiting cookies from that site. If you don't know how to do that, tell us what browser you are using and someone here will know.

edatoakrun said:
Plugshare's app is up, but showing only a fraction of the Central CA DC's.
If by "Central CA" you mean the San Joaquin Valley, AFAIK there are no DCQC chargers south of Sacramento (well, technically Elk Grove), only Tesla Superchargers. And Plugshare can be set to exclude those.

Ray

Eight months on and I've just started to see Recargo comments and photos showing up on PlugShare, with this: "(from Recargo)"

Sure hope they don't screw PlugShare up somehow as they go forward.

Back