Poll : What is your reason for going Electric ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your primary motivation for buying an EV ?

• Economic : I think it will be cheaper in the long run

Votes: 116 34.3%
  • Environment : Reduce global warming & other ills of fossil fuels

Votes: 88 26.0%
  • Security : Reduce oil import for security reasons

Votes: 24 7.1%
  • Performance : EVs are just superior in some perf parameters

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Geek : I like EVs for their own sake

Votes: 80 23.7%
  • Others : Details in your post

Votes: 25 7.4%

• Total voters

evnow

We had a survey in 2010 about the reason for buying an EV. This is take 2.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We all know there are always multiple reasons .... I'm asking for the most important - or primary - reason.

ps : This is not a poll just about Leaf. This is about electric propulsion vs ICE.

As Chuck Willis says, "the gas is too high". :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-h87_gTZI[/youtube]

It was kind of funny, another LEAF (very rare here in MI) drove by right as this was playing on XM.

Actually, my vote is "Other".

I don't like war. I don't like the idea that my oil addiction contributes to demand for war. The word 'war' is almost too pleasant of a description for the murder of men, women, and children because the monopoly of force (our government) desires to secure strategic oil interests as the worlds supply reaches peak. I can see the logic behind what the US is doing, but I reject it. I would much rather minimize my contribution wherever possible.

I like liberty. In times of war, people lose the most liberty. Patriot act, NDAA, militarization of police- all these things are just combining to push me down the path that will inevitably lead to me totally rejecting the legitimacy of the state. That's an amazing transition since less than a decade ago I was a neocon.

Electric drive is refreshingly awesome. I could come up with all sorts of excuses for going electric- but perhaps the best is simply that it's a pleasure to drive a silent, smooth, peaceful car that is propelled by what almost could be seen as sorcery relative to the archaic marvels of engineering that propel cars today (ICE).

All of the above, however you missed a very important reason. For me buying a leaf and a volt was a way to show others that these cars do represent a viable technology. After a while coworkers and neighbors will and have noticed that I'm not stranded on the side of the road, I am never at a gas station and my monthly gas savings are just about paying for two brand new loaded cars! It is very important to me to disprove ev skeptics and show them that I do the same drive every day that they do, I just do it in a faster, nicer, cheaper to run, less environmentally distructive, powered by American clean energy, easier to
Maintain car than they do.

I voted "other".

My reasons were multiple. If I had to put it into one sentence, it would be "To have fun driving in an environmentally responsible way, while using the clean power from my solar rooftop."

Performance in my personal car is important to me, but I no longer want to be profligate with my carbon footprint just to have fun.

I also care about reducing our dependence on foreign oil, being an early adopter of tech that will help my grandchildren's future, and saving money on our transportation budget.

No one has chosen performance as a primary, but I do love how it zips when I want it to, just like our V-6 Accord but without the noise and exhaust. I was manuvering in traffic on the highway the other day and happened to look down and see that I was at 93 mph, and I didn't even feel it, it's a wild ride!

I chose economic, but by process of elimination, just to decide on a primary for this poll, and mainly because our solar array fuels it, but I could never go for a hybrid and still have ICE maintenance expenses.

I'm less than 20% geek, so that's right out.

I'm all for better environment and no oil, foriegn or domestic, but honestly, economics drove it for my decision.

I could have answered other, because an EV is also an AV, or Alternative Vehicle. We have mupltile sources of heat in our house, oil, pellets and electric, but would could also add gas or wood if needed, so we're assured of being able to stay warm in winter even if one source of fuel is cut off. As an EV driver, I am similarly assured that I can drive as usual, no matter what happens to the gasoline supply, and our world isn't always stable, so I'm glad for that assurance.

Also, a major factor in the decision was that it was feasible. I need less range than the car provides, and I have the luxury of being able to charge at home. Minus those two factors, I would have had a second thought.

I am a geek and love technology. Was able to convince the wife because of the cost saving on gas. The sad news is she drives more miles then me so guess who will be driving the Leaf after I test the Leaf so I can tell her the in's and out's. I am seriously looking at getting another EV an Mitsubishi i.

I hope to convert at least one at my work. We have about 10 employees that commute over 20 miles a day one way. The heat is a real issue in ND so would have to get power here for anyone over 50 miles round trip.

For me there are many benefits. But ultimately, I have to think about those benefits which actually make me want to purchase the car. While it is nice to be environmentally friendly, and to reduce oil imports, those really wouldn't make me reach into my pocket book.

The main thing is I like how futuristic, queit, and clean the car is. When I say "clean" I don't necessarily mean exhaust emissions. No, I mean clean as in no oil dripping on my garage floor. No oil (mixed with dirt) coating all of the components under the hood and underbody of the car. No stinky gas smell in the garage. And even when this car is 10 or 15 years old, the same will be true. Charging my car is so much more convenient than standing at a gas station in the freezing cold rain.

I've been driving the Leaf for 2 years and I have never regretted going electric. My friends/neighbors/family/co-workers have seen me driving the Leaf for this long and most of them were skeptic at first but are now believers. When I say believers, I mean they realize the car is reliable and always gets me where I need to go. They see that I am not at all concerned about battery failures, or running out of power on the side of the road.

Environment : Reduce global warming & other ills of fossil fuels
An electric car is a small step this way.

Security : Reduce oil import for security reasons
To reduce the reasons for large scale violence in the world, which I guess works out to "security". Even though it is really more about security for other people, not for me personally.

Geek : I like EVs for their own sake
The EV smile. Oh yea.

Performance : EVs are just superior in some perf parameters
Quiet, smooth, fun? YES, YES, YES. But how is this different from Geek? Am I too Geek to understand?

Economic : I think it will be cheaper in the long run
Maybe, buying now. If you drive enough miles per year, but not too many, and you live in a moderate climate, and if the price of gasoline in 2013 constant dollars rises to about $4.50, and if battery life is good, and if battery life replacement cost is reasonable and if ....
This case will become more compelling as battery prices fall, and as unknowns about battery life and replacement are cleared up with experience.

Other: An electric should be more reliable than a gasoline car. Less time spent on maintenance and repairs.

I didn't fully realize how much better an EV was to drive until a few weeks into ownership.

Frankly, the reason I bought a Leaf was for HOV lane access, and that has worked out very well.

HOV access was the reason i got interested initially. i was already an eco-nut with solar on the house. but the key in going ahead was that a major auto company was putting its name behind an EV.

i did all the reading about limitations and issues, and SoCal seemed the ideal place, and i have an ideal commute; 50 miles rdtrp.

moreover it really allows me to thumb my nose at texans, saudis and exxon, mobil, bps.

I don't like stopping at gas stations. I don't have the time and I hate my hands smelling like gas. I don't like typing in my zip and I don't like almost getting smashed into every time I go to one. Standing out in the freezing cold is not very fun either.

I chose "Security", which I interpret as "no soldiers have to die to bring electricity to this country", although it wasn't worded that way.

But the only one of the choices that doesn't apply to me is "economic", since the car isn't remotely cost-effective compared to just driving a used oil-burner. Rather, I am spending A LOT more to drive electric. It is worth it to me for all the other reasons.

Gasoline is a Pandora's Box of problems so having to pick just one reason really obfuscates the benefits of an EV for me. I chose environmental because ultimately without a viable ecosphere, there's no point to the others.

But here's sort of where I'm coming from:

Grew up in the greater Cleveland area in the 1960's. Sort of like Pollution Central. My Mom would occasionally take me Downtown for Christmas shopping, back when that's where the major department stores all were. I hated it because of the smell. The nearby steel mill and coke plant infused the place with a constant acidic, rotten-egg atmosphere that you couldn't excape indoors or outdoors.

At the same time, environmental concerns in general were becoming more widely known and appreciated. We learned in school about the problems, including Smog, NOx, Ozone, etc...

The Cuyahoga River infamously caught fire. Even worse, the river was so polluted that even tube worms were absent. This was astounding to biologists. Totally dead waterway. This is what we did with the miracle of a freshwater river.

I found I enjoyed bicycling, and still do to this day. As I got older I started taking longer rides on public roads. Nothing brings home the rotten aspects of gasoline propulsion like getting a lung full of exhaust fumes while breathing hard.

Learned to drive and got my license just in time for the Arab Oil Embargo. Tripling of gasoline prices was pretty impressive to someone trying to get by eating Ramen in their dorm room.

Then, let's see. There was the Exxon Valdez, First Gulf War, Second Gulf War, the BP disaster, and various piddly little refinery explosions and fires, along with the constant high levels of respiratory diseases in refinery areas and areas with high traffic volumes. And all the while we pay a Billion dollars a day for the privilege. Basically when it comes to petroleum, the USA and American people have been bent over and taking it for as long as I can remember.

About 8 years ago I ran across the Aptera website and started looking into EV's at that point. At that time I decided that I wanted my next car to be an Aptera. Since then I changed and decided that any 'production level', aka NOT a conversion kit, EV for sale in my area would be my next car. When I look at my reasons it was partially for all of the poll reasons. Ultimately the decision was just say no to drugs and oil addition <addiction...sigh where's my autocorrect> is our national drug.

If your travel needs are met by a Leaf there is absolutely no reason not to get one.

Many of the reasons listed in the poll apply, but I chose "Other"--we bought our Leaf primarily because my wife did not want another car with a tailpipe. Ever. Her feelings probably include aspects of all the other choices. "Happy wife, happy life," as they say. I was going to convert her '91 Miata to electric drive, as it had 200K miles on it and was going to need an engine overhaul soon anyway, but then heard about the Leaf and suggested to her that having an EV by a major manufacturer with a proper design and warranty would have advantages over a homebuilt conversion. We checked out the Leaf, she liked it, we got on the waiting list, and a year later she was driving it. She couldn't be happier that she hasn't been to a gas station in 2 years now. The car does 99% of everything she needs as far as transportation, and it has been surprisingly cheap to operate and maintain. I do really believe there are economic benefits for us, considering the tax savings and CA rebate, the cost of our local electricity compared to gasoline, etc. The car will serve us well even after degrading to 50-mile range or less, so we plan on keeping it for the long run.

As far as performance goes, I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks this car has exciting performance has never really driven a truly fast and capable car. It's comfortable and quiet, but it's still a FWD econobox at heart. ;)

TT

Back