picture of 2013 battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roperld

I recently saw a picture of the 2013 battery showing differences with the 2012 battery, but I cannot find it now. Does anyone know where it is on the Internet?

13.jpg

Wow.. those modules are quite a bit larger than I expected once seeing somebody hold on in their hands. I wonder why they changed the shape of them?

adric22 said:
Wow.. those modules are quite a bit larger than I expected once seeing somebody hold on in their hands. I wonder why they changed the shape of them?
...and they are heavier than they look.

The modules are actually the same shape as before and they confirmed that the 2013 modules can be retrofit into the 2011s and 2012s. They said the changes were made to reduce the weight of the battery pack. The new one is claimed to be 30 kg lighter than the old one.

camasleaf said:
Plus the new one has the "vents" allowing for better cooling.
I'm sorry, but that is a myth. These modules are not cooled by convection, but rather by conduction. I suppose it is possible that there could be a very slight amount of chimney effect in the vertical modules under the back seat, but since the temperature rise in these modules is extremely low, that will only be a second- or third-order effect. As such, I suspect the old modules had slightly better heat dissipation than the new ones due to the additional steel (heat conduction path) included.

RegGuheert said:
camasleaf said:
Plus the new one has the "vents" allowing for better cooling.
I'm sorry, but that is a myth. These modules are not cooled by convection, but rather by conduction. I suppose it is possible that there could be a very slight amount of chimney effect in the vertical modules under the back seat, but since the temperature rise in these modules is extremely low, that will only be a second- or third-order effect. As such, I suspect the old modules had slightly better heat dissipation than the new ones due to the additional steel (heat conduction path) included.

I mostly agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if the airspace allowed somewhat more even temperature through the entire pack, which could perhaps offer some (probably slight) improvement in battery charge management and longevity.

BTW, anyone seen any infrared photos of a hot LEAF battery pack?

RegGuheert said:
The modules are actually the same shape as before and they confirmed that the 2013 modules can be retrofit into the 2011s and 2012s. They said the changes were made to reduce the weight of the battery pack. The new one is claimed to be 30 kg lighter than the old one.

This is all part of Nissan's long-term plan: I believe the physical/mechanical design of the battery pack/modules will allow for replacement/upgrade to ALL of our Leafs for years to come. I bought my Leaf with the anticipation that I will be able to replace the existing battery pack/modules with a higher capacity version for less money many years down the road.

Stanton said:
This is all part of Nissan's long-term plan: I believe the physical/mechanical design of the battery pack/modules will allow for replacement/upgrade to ALL of our Leafs for years to come. I bought my Leaf with the anticipation that I will be able to replace the existing battery pack/modules with a higher capacity version for less money many years down the road.

+1. Or at least that was (is) the hope.

Back