EV Project participants - you can only select SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Update : EV Project people can only order SL. If you don't want to be part of EVP (or want an SV) then you need to drop out of EV Project, cancel the current reservation and restart with a new reservation.

I guess, not the best way to handle the L3 situation. But probably not many will crib ....

Old Update : Even for EV Project buyers, you need SL to get the L3 port. I just confirmed this using chat - after I saw a couple of people reporting this.

So, if you want L3 (DC Fast Charge) port, make sure you order SL.

That's absolutely correct. Ev project buyers who select the SL will get the SL-e model with the fast charger at no additional charge. So do not select the fast charge option on your SL if you are part of the Ev project- you get it for free.

mossyleaf said:
That's absolutely correct. Ev project buyers who select the SL will get the SL-e model with the fast charger at no additional charge. So do not select the fast charge option on your SL if you are part of the Ev project- you get it for free.

More importantly, everyone here thought EV Project guys would get L3 with even SV. Apparently not the case.

So, if you are sending a mail / talking with buyers today, do mention this.

You are right. We have known for a long time that the fast charge would not be available Sv. Thought you guys knew or I would have mentioned it. I really hope that all of my orders are Sl anyways, the Sv does not make sense to me for the cost diff.

mossyleaf said:
I hope your right about not selecting to L3 port. What would happen if I did select it my dealer knows I am in the EV project. Would I get charge for it or something?

I did a online chat with Vince and he said to select it so I am going to select it what can it hurt. I can alway get a refund but I cant get installed later. That would be a bigger mistake.

Gonewild said:
I did a online chat with Vince and he said to select it so I am going to select it what can it hurt. I can alway get a refund but I cant get installed later. That would be a bigger mistake.

I'm with you on this one because even though I've been approved for the EV Project, Nissan doesn't seem to know it when I ask about it. So I'm definitely going to order DC with the SL, unless they allow me to order the SL-E.

mossyleaf said:
So what do you do if you're not sure if you will be part of the EV project or not and you are still one of those people waiting to be notified by them?

Nick Chambers with plugincars.com posted today in a comment:

"Kei: I'm about to write an article on this very topic, but just so that everyone in this thread is clear on the topic, Mark Perry, Nissan's Communications guru for North America, has told me that all the LEAFs that are being sold to people in the initial launch markets (the same ones that are part of the EV Project run by ECOtality: California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona and Tennessee) will have the DC fast charger installed for free. That is due to federal money that is being allocated for that to happen b/c those launch markets are getting a bunch of DC fast chargers over the next year. Other markets may not have DC fast chargers for quite some time so Nissan has made the calculation that most people in those market would opt to not have the device and save on upfront costs. I'll leave it to others to determine if that was the best business decision."

so does that mean even people in those launch areas who are not accepted into the EV Project will get a free L3 port?

malloryk said:
Nick Chambers with plugincars.com posted today in a comment:

"Kei: I'm about to write an article on this very topic, but just so that everyone in this thread is clear on the topic, Mark Perry, Nissan's Communications guru for North America, has told me that all the LEAFs that are being sold to people in the initial launch markets (the same ones that are part of the EV Project run by ECOtality: California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona and Tennessee) will have the DC fast charger installed for free. That is due to federal money that is being allocated for that to happen b/c those launch markets are getting a bunch of DC fast chargers over the next year. Other markets may not have DC fast chargers for quite some time so Nissan has made the calculation that most people in those market would opt to not have the device and save on upfront costs. I'll leave it to others to determine if that was the best business decision."

so does that mean even people in those launch areas who are not accepted into the EV Project will get a free L3 port?

HUH? Sure sounds like it to me. :?

mwalsh said:
I'm getting a tad tired of the drama, if I had to be honest. Someone just PLEASE tell us what to expect!

Someone please tell us that all August and all September cars will just come with L3 as that makes life easy for everyone - us, Nissan, and the factory. :eek:

LakeLeaf said:
mwalsh said:
I'm getting a tad tired of the drama, if I had to be honest. Someone just PLEASE tell us what to expect!

Someone please tell us that all August and all September cars will just come with L3 as that makes life easy for everyone - us, Nissan, and the factory. :eek:

Ok, all Aug. and all Sept. LEAFS will come with the L3 port as long as they are in the first five rollout states. :mrgreen:
Actually, this makes the most sense, as people have said. Even if they don't get the free charging station, they still would be able to use the DC ones for extended travel.

Here's Nick's posting:

http://www.plugincars.com/nissan-reveals-pricing-leaf-options-dc-fast-charger-extra-unless-you-live-initial-launch-market-6473

It's basically what we've thought all along. Unless I'm reading it wrong?

Also, one item that has caused an uproar on the internet after the revelation of these options and costs is the fact that the DC quick charge port will be optional, cost an extra $700, is only available on the upgraded SL model, and cannot be added after purchase. To clarify this option, Mark Perry also told me that the DC quick charge port will be available as a free add-on to some customers in the 5 initial launch markets of Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington and Tennessee. This is a direct result of money being made available by the EV Project to offset the costs of the additional equipment. The EV Project is a joint public/private venture between the U.S. Department of Energy and ECOtality that seeks to install thousands of charging stations in those initial launch markets over the next year—some of which will be DC quick charging stations.

"For those customers in the 5 DOE project launch states who meet the research criteria and are willing to participate in the study for 2 years, one of the benefits is a 'free option' for a DC fast Charger," said Perry in an email. "The option will be available to all, (in those states and across the nation) but only a small subset (5,700 LEAF owners who will participate in the research study) will have the cost subsidized by a DOE grant."

So, although most LEAF customers will need to pay extra for the DC fast charging option, a select few will get it for free

leaffan said:
Ok, all Aug. and all Sept. LEAFS will come with the L3 port as long as they are in the first five rollout states. :mrgreen:

You da man!

Actually, this makes the most sense, as people have said. Even if they don't get the free charging station, they still would be able to use the DC ones for extended travel.

Makes complete sense to me. Nissan should hire you!

All California orders tomorrow are getting the free L3 port? That goes for EV Project and non-EV Project alike? That would be news to the dealers.

Any chance EV Project participants are getting free upgrades from SV to SL?

Nissan is really falling behind on the info here...

Back