Extra (Subscription) Costs for Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeKen

Does anyone know about any additional overhead costs with purchasing a Leaf?
I noticed that there were the following additional accessory costs:

Nissan Leaf ordering guide with standard equipment lists, optional items and other extras

Nissan Leaf SV: MSRP $32,780 (mod : Invoice - $31,393)

Well-equipped high technology features with surprising customer convenience items, including:
• All-New Dedicated EV Platform
• Laminated 24 kWh Lithium Ion Battery
• 3.3 kW Onboard Charger
• Portable Trickle Charge Cable (120V)
• Standard Charge Port (240V)
• Navigation System
• Palm-Shift Drive Selector
• Regenerative Braking
• Recycled Cloth Seat Fabric
• 16" Alloy Wheels
• No Charge For 36 Months - CARWINGS (Telematics)
• No Charge For 36 Months - Roadside Assistance
• 5 Exterior Colors

Nissan Leaf SL: MSRP $33,720 (mod : Invoice - $32,293)

In addition to standard SV features, includes:
• Photovoltaic Solar Panel Spoiler
• RearView Monitor (RVM)
• Fog Lights
• Automatic On/Off Headlights
• Cargo Cover
• Homelink® Universal Transceiver

Quick Charge Option: MSRP $700
Available with the SL trim, this charge port on the vehicle will allow for charging to 80% capacity in 30 minutes at 440V charging stations. (This feature cannot be added after sale).

Destination & Handling: $820

Options, Accessories :

Floor Mats & Cargo Mat Area $170
B92 Splash Guards $140
M94 Recycling/Organizational Package $225
M92 Cargo Cover $290
M93 Cargo Net $20 Not available with M94 Recycling/Organizational Package
N92 Hologram Kick Plates $125 Not available with B93 Eco Design Package
B93 Eco Design Package $260 Not available with N92 Hologram Kick Plates
B94 Protection Package $225
S92 Safety Kit $75

So after 3 years, what will CARWINGS cost per month?
After 3 years, what will Roadside assistance cost per month/year?
Do we need to subscribe to some 3G or WiFi service to take advantage of vehicle capabilities such as pre-heating or cooling the card when charging or to know the charge level of our car remotely?

Thanks all/

VikeKen said:

Do we need to subscribe to some 3G or WiFi service to take advantage of vehicle capabilities such as pre-heating or cooling the card when charging or to know the charge level of our car remotely?

Thanks all/

Nissan hasn't released any of the cost info on CARWINGS or roadside assistance yet. If you want to communicate with your car, you will need to have your own phone or wi-fi service.

LEAFguy said:
VikeKen said:

Thanks all/

Nissan hasn't released any of the cost info on CARWINGS or roadside assistance yet. If you want to communicate with your car, you will need to have your own phone or wi-fi service.

But you can get by with a regular cell phone with text messaging. :) It can send you messages to plug in, if it gets disconnected, or the charging gets interrupted. So you don't have to have a 'smart' phone.

leaffan said:
LEAFguy said:
VikeKen said:

Thanks all/

But you can get by with a regular cell phone with text messaging. :) It can send you messages to plug in, if it gets disconnected, or the charging gets interrupted. So you don't have to have a 'smart' phone.

Your Leaf cannot send Or receive text messages Without access to some sort of network. And from what i see here that network will be free for 3 years. After that i doubt it will continue to do so.

Verizon use to allow sharing with onstar So wondering if this would be An option after car wings. If not i would expect A subscription charge

Gonewild said:
Road side can be bought from anywhere AAA, I have progressive insurance and it is $6 for 6 months.

All of the initial talk was that Nissan was working with AAA to provide a mechanism to add some charge to the car to get you to a charging station or home, rather then just providing a tow. Nissan was to throw in at least 3 years of AAA with the purchase price of the car. I hope that is still the case.

Time is money. Wonder if you could be towed home faster then being recharged enough to get home.

Wonder if this "feature" will silently slip off of the table.

LakeLeaf said:
Nissan was to throw in at least 3 years of AAA with the purchase price of the car. I hope that is still the case.
Am I missing something? Right in the first post:
LeafGuy said:
The original post was asking what the roadside would cost AFTER the 36 months ended.

JasonT said:
LakeLeaf said:
Nissan was to throw in at least 3 years of AAA with the purchase price of the car. I hope that is still the case.
Am I missing something? Right in the first post:
LeafGuy said:
The original post was asking what the roadside would cost AFTER the 36 months ended.

I don't see anything listed on the Nissan Leaf website about 36 months of Roadside Assistance. It's not listed (as far as I can see) in the features and options part of either the general website, nor in the dashboard rehash of those features and options - both the places I would expect to see it. I do seem to recall seeing this many months ago - but don't know if it was on the Nissan website, or on one of the web message boards.

Maybe a dealer has different information that Nissan hasn't posted for the rest of us. They seem to have shared dealer options with the dealers, but not with us yet. The website also doesn't mention that CARWINGS is limited to 36 months either. They do mention that XM radio will require a subscription after initial trial period. It all seems a bit confused to me. Nissan is selling the vehicle through on-line channels. You'd think those channels would be the primary sources of information about the car (the official online channels - not the message board online channels. Heck almost everything we know about the car is through some online source).

The initial rational for offering the 36 months of roadside assistance was to help relieve range anxiety - i.e. to promote sales of an EV. With over 18,000 pre-orders they may now be thinking that they have already overcome this and roadside assistance may have turned out to be a bigger hurdle - especially the providing a charge idea.

It would be nice to know where LeafGuy got the information from so that we could understand what information is flowing through which channels, and when that information was last updated. I don't know if LeafGuy's information is accurate or not - just that it doesn't seem to be in the place where you would expect to find it.

The thing that drives me nuts is the website disclaims about how features and options are subject to change, how car colors are not final, etc. Will these disclaimers be removed before we order or will car features and functions continue to be in flux through the day your car is manufactured? The way the disclaimer is written, every feature and function of the car is subject to change.

LakeLeaf said:
The way the disclaimer is written, every feature and function of the car is subject to change.
You may not have noticed it, but this is true of every vehicle. They make changes all year long, not just when the model changes.

They change brake designs all the time midstream. Sometimes I have seen them switch suppliers for certain paint colors and it is not an exact match. I believe it was Ford that had a huge recall on their silver paint and replaced it (quite a few years ago).

We are just noticing this because nothing is final on the Leaf yet, and we are suffering OCD while waiting. But it is true for all cars.

LakeLeaf said:
It would be nice to know where LeafGuy got the information from so that we could understand what information is flowing through which channels, and when that information was last updated. I don't know if LeafGuy's information is accurate or not - just that it doesn't seem to be in the place where you would expect to find it.
There are a couple of dealers on these forums, and one (or more) of them posted this information from their systems. This is where we've gotten the options/accessories, the confirmation about the Quick Charge Option, and even the color codes for the exterior paint. This is up-to-the-date information from the dealers in preparation for the orders that are supposed to be able to start tomorrow (more information we got from the dealers). If you want to question this one item (which as you said, matches what we were told quite a while ago), that's certainly your choice. I personally see no reason to question it.

Sorry - it looks like it was VikeKen who was the OP rather then LeafGuy.

I have no idea who either VikeKen or LeafGuy is, or where they get their information. They may be dealers, spouses of dealers, cousins of dealers, majority stockholders in Nissan, or Mark himself, or just regular posters. I know there are a few dealers on here who have identified themselves, but I haven't been able to keep track of all 500+ board members.

It would be nice if Nissan posted this type of information on their website - which has served as the primary interface between Nissan and potential customers rather then subjugating it to anonymous posts on message boards. That's not meant in any way, shape, or form, to say anything about the OP or what others post here - just that Nissan should learn to disseminate information through official channels.

And just because a dealer posts it doesn't mean it's true - as some other threads have panned out.

Inclusion of L3 charging was strongly implied (but apparently never stated on the website) by all of the marketing and the inclusion of several features of the car that help you find a charge. It turns out when push comes to shove that L3 isn't included. I see no reason to doubt what the OP posted, but no particular reason to believe it either until Nissan officially posts it.

LakeLeaf said:
Sorry - it looks like it was VikeKen who was the OP rather then LeafGuy.

I have no idea who either VikeKen or LeafGuy is, or where they get their information.

Checkout the thread about models,options, price by Cambell ...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1065

LakeLeaf said:
I have no idea who either VikeKen or LeafGuy is, or where they get their information.

I cannot speak for VikeKen. The information quoted above (from one of my posts), I pulled from what a seemingly accurate dealer posted somewhere in this forum.

I do not work for Nissan, but I do work with Nissan. I have been a free-lance automotive sales trainer for about 18 years, and have worked in the automotive industry for over 20, including as a sales consultant. I have trained the sales consultants, and management of about a dozen manufacturers over that time. While I have no special insight or information on the LEAF from Nissan corporate, I do know where to look to find information of interest. I have trained on Nissan products since 1994. Most of this information can be found on the "About" page of my blog, which is linked in my signature. I have a reservation in on a LEAF, with an order date of September. I have never driven, much less owned an electric vehicle before, so I am very much looking forward to it. If you asked my daughter, she would tell you that my favorite color is purple. I, probably like you, am learning more about EVs every day.

My information from the original post came from
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/08/28/nissan-leafs-optional-equipment-list-revealed-includes-invoice/

Do we need the CARWINGS subscription to see the up-to-date charging-station locations on the Nav Screen?

Will it show us the real-time "operational" status of the charge stations?

Can we define "Home" as a charge station for the NAV's use when it is looking for the "nearest" charging location?

Do we need the XM radio/traffic subscription to get traffic updates for the NAV, or will CARWINGS provide that also?

for me, I have an android smartphone and I check traffic though my google map. So it's not a big deal to me if XM subscription expired and cut off the traffic update. The roadside assistance longer than 3 years would be nice, but I think it's reasonable since such service would have been astronomical cost wise to provide. The CARWING, however, is new, and from what I can tell, it uses AT&T 3G network to connect to the internet. I would HATE to get stuck with another cellphone bill (especially from AT&T, had it before and I hated their service). Now, I hope they use the same model as Amazon kindle and let the unit received permitted data (such as charging location) for free. I don't even mind if it's ad based.

Ideally, Nissan should have set it up so that you can Bring Your Own Internet, by letting me connecting the car through a MIFI of my own choosing, be it sprint, verizon, att or tmobile, that way there is no risk of being gouged by service provider.

However, at this point, Nissan says that the car does NOT have WiFi access.

Ok, but Nissan could add programming to support the common USB-WiFi adapters, which we could insert when we need data updated, and we reach a WiFi area ... perhaps at an e-station.

I think all e-stations (charge-locations) should have free WiFi access.

garygid said:
Do we need the CARWINGS subscription to see the up-to-date charging-station locations on the Nav Screen? My thinking is yes, this is probably one of the primary functions/benefits as seen by Nissan.

Will it show us the real-time "operational" status of the charge stations? That I don't know.

Can we define "Home" as a charge station for the NAV's use when it is looking for the "nearest" charging location? Not really sure that I understand your question. "Home" can be defined as any GPS coordinate or address. It is a location in the Nav address book. "Charging locations" will likely be a function of CARWINGS.

Do we need the XM radio/traffic subscription to get traffic updates for the NAV, or will CARWINGS provide that also? You will need an XM subscription for radio and traffic to get traffic updates. Separate system from CARWINGS. Nissan currently provides free XM (all functionality) for 90 days. Nav system (data) updates are available annually and are uploaded to the system via the dealer's service department on current hard drive systems.

garygid said:
Can we define "Home" as a charge station for the NAV's use when it is looking for the "nearest" charging location?
I remember seeing in one video (I wish I had a better memory and could point you to it) where the person demoing the system pointed out that if you charged somewhere (presumably with L2 an DC but that wasn't specified in the video) that wherever you charged then got automatically added as a charging location in your system.

Back