Leaf tires in the snow?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sproqitman said:
Well, Snowpocalypse 2011 hit Bellevue yesterday, with about 2.5 inches of wet snow.
Funny, looks like you guys had more snow than us in Sammamish. Normally we have more snow.

on the news, the snowfall varied as much as 6 " within the same city. we got 7-8 " on the ground but more than half of that was in a 2 hour period this morning.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNvC3BG4Syg[/youtube]

ok, so kid home from school, so had to have a little fun, but yea, tires suck but i can still get around. we have up to 7" around here and there aint a snowplow in sight!...guess the Leaf with its battery pack is like a pickup with 800 lbs of sandbags !

Woah, you went up to 90 Mph :) It looks like you were driving on a flat road, have you tried making any hills with light snow and ice on them?

IBELEAF said:
Woah, you went up to 90 Mph :) It looks like you were driving on a flat road, have you tried making any hills with light snow and ice on them?

i be cruising town a bit later. right now i am freezing my butt off while my son (the boy that feels no cold) is frolicking in the snow

I live in Norway and we get a quite a bit of both ice and snow in the winter. I've ordered a Leaf and need wintertires for it. I want the tires to be as narrow as possible in order to get good grip on snow and ice and also lower rolling resistance. I'm having problems finding the best wintertires for the 16" rims, but quite a few are available in 15". Anybody know if 15" rims will fit on the Leaf? Was thinking of 6x15" rims with an ET of 35 or 40 and fit those with 195/65R15 or maybe even 185/65R15 wintertires.

Pretty cool! :D

I drive my RWD Starlet in the snow. Studs on the rear, a bag of horse feed in the back and it
will travel safely until the snow hits the differential. Then we're done. The
F250 is completely hopeless in the snow; it stays home.

I'm not sure I want to spend the $ to get 4 studded tires. Is it really crazy to only do
the fronts on a FrontWD car like the LEAF?

4WD doesn't help if you're an idiot. I took this a few years ago whilst driving the Starlet.
(Yes, I stopped to take the photo. ;) )
PICT0088.jpg

Nobody knows if 15" rims will fit on the Leaf then? :roll:

Anybody with a Leaf that will take an educated guess at it? :?:

ovev said:
Nobody knows if 15" rims will fit on the Leaf then? :roll:

Anybody with a Leaf that will take an educated guess at it? :?:

Check the brake hardware clearance. The wheel shop will most likely test fit for you if you are buying.

The cheapest place to buy rims and tires are in shops on the net. I also probably have to bring wintertires along when picking up the car from the dealer. Most likely there willc be snow and ice on the roads by then.

Any idea if 17 in. snow tires will fit on a Leaf? I have a set of Blizzak 225/50/17 in. tires and rims for my trade in. It would be great if I could use these on my Leaf.

I found some online posts indicating 17 in. tires may fit a Versa. Could this also apply to the Leaf?

NOVA said:
Any idea if 17 in. snow tires will fit on a Leaf? I have a set of Blizzak 225/50/17 in. tires and rims for my trade in. It would be great if I could use these on my Leaf.
With the right wheels those will fit fine. Definitely won't fit on the stock 16" wheels. Slightly larger in diameter than the stock tires, your speedo will read low by about 4%. Kind of wide for snow tires on the LEAF - most people tend to fit narrower snow tires so they "bite" better. But if you have them already and plan on getting a set of snow wheels anyway....

drees said:
NOVA said:
With the right wheels those will fit fine. Definitely won't fit on the stock 16" wheels. Slightly larger in diameter than the stock tires, your speedo will read low by about 4%. Kind of wide for snow tires on the LEAF - most people tend to fit narrower snow tires so they "bite" better. But if you have them already and plan on getting a set of snow wheels anyway....

Thanks! I'll give it a try after I get my Leaf next month.

(I was going to resurrect this thread but it looks like someone beat me to it...)

It's getting close to the time to buy some snow tires for Sparkii. My current choice is Bridgestone Blizzak WS70s in the stock size (205/55R16). Anyone have other recommendations?

Any recommendations for chains or cables for stock wheels and tires?

Chains would probably be superior for my use, if there is enough clearance, as my use will likely be restricted to a half mile of steep unplowed driveway (where cables don’t work too well, once the snow is more than a few inches deep) just to get to a plowed road.

I bought some of these last year for my ICE car:

http://www.autosock.com

I haven't had to use them yet.

Amazon had the best price.

I haven't checked yet to compare my ICE car tire size with those on the Leaf to see if I need to order a new set.

Just posting another option though, that appears to work well and is easier to install than chains.

kennyboy said:

I haven't checked yet to compare my ICE car tire size with those on the Leaf to see if I need to order a new set.

Just posting another option though, that appears to work well and is easier to install than chains.
Wow, this looks like a pretty good product. Only catch being it wears out quickly on dry pavement, but then again it's easy enough to put on and take off that it should be an issue.

Checking the stock Leaf tire size, the correct one should be the X30 size: http://amzn.to/tXOxqm

Note that it does appear that this can't be legally considered a "traction device" in California or Washington, however that only applies if a road is closed or requires traction devices. In Oregon these would be considered "traction devices" since they mount externally of the tire in order to provide additional traction.

DarkStar said:
kennyboy said:

Wow, this looks like a pretty good product. Only catch being it wears out quickly on dry pavement, but then again it's easy enough to put on and take off that it should be an issue.

Checking the stock Leaf tire size, the correct one should be the X30 size: http://amzn.to/tXOxqm

Note that it does appear that this can't be legally considered a "traction device" in California or Washington, however that only applies if a road is closed or requires traction devices. In Oregon these would be considered "traction devices" since they mount externally of the tire in order to provide additional traction.
It appears that these are approved for semis here in Colorado. Snow tires or chains aren't usually required for passenger cars here, it is generally left up to the judgment of the driver unless conditions are very poor.

It might be worth trying these to see if they could get me up my driveway in winter when I haven't had time to shovel it all and it isn't too deep.

Back