kennethbokor
Delivery Date: 30 May 2018

Nissan Leaf Battery Upgrade Program announced - Japan to start

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:59 am

Check out this article on this new program. I am guessing it will eventually go global.

https://insideevs.com/nissan-introduces ... -4r-plant/
---------
New Leaf Owner: Just ordered Feb 24 2018, 2018 Leaf SL in Jade Frost. Expected ETA by May 30 2018.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: Nissan Leaf Battery Upgrade Program announced - Japan to start

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:37 am

One wonders what "refabricated" means, or what is the warranty on these batteries. From the brief info given, it sounds as if they're expecting to harvest the "stronger" modules from old batteries and combine them.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

nsantos
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2013

Sat May 18, 2019 4:43 pm

This 1 year old news mentioned 2 different options:
  • Cheap "refabricated" 24kwh battery
  • Replacement with new 24kwh, 30kwh, 40kwh
Does anyone have any update on this? Specially the "upgrade" part...

Maybe there is someone who knows Japanese in this forum which can figure out if it is being done in Japan (google translate doesn't go far on those sites)... or if it was just announced, and then "forgotten".

Another thing that would be good news for having a Nissan Upgrade program, although unrelated to this specific article, would be if there was any news about a date for Nissan / AESC to completely stop production of 24kwh batteries worldwide.
This would actually "force" them to offer 30kwh (or better) as viable replacement for 24kwh.
At some point they will need to do this as keeping 24kwh battery line will not be cost effective... and later the same with the 30kwh as well...
Anyone ever read about any such timelines?

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sat May 18, 2019 5:36 pm

Unfortunately, North America is not a high value market for Nissan. They offer things like the Refurb program in Japan that don't travel elsewhere. We'll have to wait and see, and those of us who can make noise about it closer to Nissan's ears should try to do so.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

rmay635703

Sat May 18, 2019 6:52 pm

Cost of labor and legal mumbo jumbo/liability were mentioned as reasons they couldn’t put the refurb system in the US.

However much there is to that, one would think a 3rd party could avoid most issues

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am

I don't understand what is the difficulty with rebuilding old Battery packs with new cells.

I would imagine that the cells in the pack are not proprietary.

Some electrical techs would be able to open and replace the old cells with new?? If I was an electrician, I would perfect the rebuilding of old packs...

rmay635703

Wed May 22, 2019 10:54 am

powersurge wrote:I don't understand what is the difficulty with rebuilding old Battery packs with new cells.

I would imagine that the cells in the pack are not proprietary.

Some electrical techs would be able to open and replace the old cells with new?? If I was an electrician, I would perfect the rebuilding of old packs...
One intrepid Honda Insight modifier discovered that converting a Honda Insight to a lithium PHEV (reducing emissions) by the letter of the law was illegal because it affected emissions equipment from OEM which includes the battery which is assumed to be “emissions equipment “

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”