Nissan Leaf Battery Upgrade Program announced - Japan to start

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennethbokor

Check out this article on this new program. I am guessing it will eventually go global.

https://insideevs.com/nissan-introduces-refabricated-batteries-for-older-leaf-in-japan-from-new-4r-plant/

One wonders what "refabricated" means, or what is the warranty on these batteries. From the brief info given, it sounds as if they're expecting to harvest the "stronger" modules from old batteries and combine them.

This 1 year old news mentioned 2 different options:
  • Cheap "refabricated" 24kwh battery
  • Replacement with new 24kwh, 30kwh, 40kwh
Does anyone have any update on this? Specially the "upgrade" part...

Maybe there is someone who knows Japanese in this forum which can figure out if it is being done in Japan (google translate doesn't go far on those sites)... or if it was just announced, and then "forgotten".

Another thing that would be good news for having a Nissan Upgrade program, although unrelated to this specific article, would be if there was any news about a date for Nissan / AESC to completely stop production of 24kwh batteries worldwide.
This would actually "force" them to offer 30kwh (or better) as viable replacement for 24kwh.
At some point they will need to do this as keeping 24kwh battery line will not be cost effective... and later the same with the 30kwh as well...
Anyone ever read about any such timelines?

Unfortunately, North America is not a high value market for Nissan. They offer things like the Refurb program in Japan that don't travel elsewhere. We'll have to wait and see, and those of us who can make noise about it closer to Nissan's ears should try to do so.

Cost of labor and legal mumbo jumbo/liability were mentioned as reasons they couldn’t put the refurb system in the US.

However much there is to that, one would think a 3rd party could avoid most issues

I don't understand what is the difficulty with rebuilding old Battery packs with new cells.

I would imagine that the cells in the pack are not proprietary.

Some electrical techs would be able to open and replace the old cells with new?? If I was an electrician, I would perfect the rebuilding of old packs...

powersurge said:
I don't understand what is the difficulty with rebuilding old Battery packs with new cells.

I would imagine that the cells in the pack are not proprietary.

Some electrical techs would be able to open and replace the old cells with new?? If I was an electrician, I would perfect the rebuilding of old packs...

One intrepid Honda Insight modifier discovered that converting a Honda Insight to a lithium PHEV (reducing emissions) by the letter of the law was illegal because it affected emissions equipment from OEM which includes the battery which is assumed to be “emissions equipment “

Back