LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Why is the LEAF pulling away from the Volt?

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:56 pm

Languages do change over time. Seeing this one devolve into gibberish over a few years, because people can't be bothered to proofread what their phones write for them, (and because news organizations decided that the Perpetual Present tense is more profitable) is quite a bit more depressing than having it happen over a hundred years or so.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:03 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Languages do change over time. Seeing this one devolve into gibberish over a few years, because people can't be bothered to proofread what their phones write for them, (and because news organizations decided that the Perpetual Present tense is more profitable) is quite a bit more depressing than having it happen over a hundred years or so.

I accept the claim that I am one of the chief violators. I do look at what my phone is doing but it doesn't always stay the same. Frequently it will type the correct words only to change them later based on an algorithm that uses the context of what is said later to adjust. The other issue is my text is sized to where I can only see 2 lines of roughly 25? characters so "after" edits are frequently not seen. My phone also creates phrases and words that make no sense. Sometimes, I wonder if what it wrote is a real word.

I love my Pixel but it doesn't do nearly as good of job in translation than my Samsungs did. I am considering switching back but will wait to see what Pixel 4 offers first.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:16 am

Seeing this one devolve into gibberish over a few years...

One would think you must be referring to this post thread, rather than to the state of the English language, given how off topic all this is...
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

GRA

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:50 pm

IEVS:
What’s Better: A Fully Electric Car Or A Plug-In Hybrid EV?
https://insideevs.com/deep-dive-future-plug-in-hybrid-evs/

I consider the title misleading, as it's a discussion by the author (who's owned both) of the advantages and disadvantages of each over the near and mid-term future. Anyone who's been reading this topic for a while won't be surprised that, while I may quibble a bit on the specifics, I agree with the author's general conclusions almost entirely,
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Dooglas
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 314779

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:43 pm

I understand that GM has decided to discontinue the Volt. I presume that is because of declining sales. Doesn't that mean the marketplace has already answered this question?
2013 Leaf SV - lease ended, 2016 Leaf S30 - purchased

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:45 pm

Dooglas wrote:I understand that GM has decided to discontinue the Volt. I presume that is because of declining sales. Doesn't that mean the marketplace has already answered this question?

If they hadn't decided to keep the styling cues of the Fugly Camaro show car, and had gone with 'pretty but practical' instead, it would have sold very well.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:56 pm

People on EV forums have been saying some variation of the following for the past 8 years: "The Volt's not bad, but what I really want is a small AWD CUV using the Voltec powertrain." Why GM didn't do that for Gen 2 instead of the current car, when the shift to CUV/SUVs was already obvious, no one outside of GM can say. Even so, the Volt outsold the LEAF here most years, including 2018. In 2018, the top three sub-$40k PEVs were the Prime, Clarity PHEV and Volt, followed by the Bolt and LEAF. The Prime was the cheapest by about $6k, and sold better accordingly despite its limitations compared to the other two PHEVs.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Dooglas wrote:I understand that GM has decided to discontinue the Volt. I presume that is because of declining sales. Doesn't that mean the marketplace has already answered this question?

Sort of. GM is not willing to shoulder the drop in federal tax credit.
The LEAF may well suffer the same fate
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:51 pm

Dooglas wrote:I understand that GM has decided to discontinue the Volt.
Doesn't that mean the marketplace has already answered this question?

Yes, it's dead and production ended: https://insideevs.com/chevy-volt-produc ... ally-ends/.

Re: the tax credit comments, yeah, probably that has a lot to do with it. Looking at the sales charts at https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/, perhaps they looked at the numbers and figured they were at too much of a disadvantage with the tax credit going to $3750 on April 1, 2019 then $1875 on Oct 1 and 0 beginning April 1, 2020. Toyota and Honda have a long way to go before their tax credit amounts go down.

I'm afraid that same thing can happen to Bolt. https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/com ... orion.html where Bolt is built is only running a single shift. If you look at their truck and SUV plants (I haven't checked them all), those seem to be running 3 shifts.

So yeah, anyway, once Volt inventory dwindles... the thread title will be true for a very long time. :)
Last edited by cwerdna on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Zythryn

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:54 pm

You are making a conclusion based on an assumption.
I don’t believe your assumption is correct, therefore your conclusion is unsupported.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”